You mean Mummy 3, right?

Had to merge that one, Lucas.
    It opens next week.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Oh, its only number 3?

im jumping the gun. musta been with the terminator 4 preview i got mixed up.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Check out our e-zine review

I'm bummed that I didn't get into a screener. Some in our TN office got to go to a sneak a few days ago. Tiger Claw armed Mummy 3, but not so much to get a credit. Nevertheless, they comped the screening to TN. They liked it although they said it could have used more Jet and Michelle.

MUMMY 3: Tom Boy Yeoh Meets Tomb Boy Li by Dr. Craig Reid
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    I liked it--the talkie, "The Mummie: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor"~. I thought it was fun and that most characters were shown in a moment of signature--We got a moment of each character's passion or essence.

I thought it was a family film--the story is family based. Even to extend to love of country...or power to command as head of a country. But, also, a couple's talkie--relationships in pairs. This highlights a theme of Imortality and being someone's world, making Life full, something more than self--except perhaps the Emperor. The Emperor I took it paired only to further his goals, agendas, plots, plans or intentions. A successful regent must do some-such it seems, perhaps comes with the position. My say.

Watching Youtube's of jet Li last night and seeing instruction in a group of masters then in a demonstration noticing what the master was showing, comming through in one-called Jet Li's moves. I thought of this Emperor character's training.

The night before seeing, "The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" I got to see a documentary of the Teracotta warriors...three chambers...never found the emporer's tomb...door guarded by arrows...remember Earth and Water heated/Fired to high enough temperature helps makes earthenware.

This thing of, "Fearless" was Jet Li's last movie, even last martial art(s) movie, I think what was officially put not merely grapevine hear-say (you know, the stuff people can tend to take as gospel..) was that, "Fearless" would be Jet Li's last Martial Art(s) Epic.

Michelle Yeoh is a Beauty. Like as beautiful or more so as previously seen on film. Her posture is attractive as well as her ability to convey...there's something about Michelle Yeoh...in a good way.

Jet Li, I liked his portrayal of Drama.

I am limiting my comments so as to share without spoiling.

I think if they tied in the story with understood informations, that that is great.

I liked the largeness if the battle scene(s)--the scope whch caused my mind to go to "The Curse of the Golden Flower"--epic

While there might be no closed pyramids in China, where ever you find a pyramid, you might can find a Mummy.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 08-02-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: d D
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Mr. Fraser's character used "Jail House Rock" or "Your Street/Bar U.S.A. Brawl"--close-in, grarab attacks--knees to the chest or face, Forward Smashing Elbow (as in your face ran into my elbow). There might have been a draw back-I'm close to off balance-take-it-as-far-back-as-I-can-and-unload-it punch for the face.

Ms. Yeoh's character seemed to only get to block which was helpful and distance herself when a struggle broke-off. Her greatest ability was to know the reason for the fight. Not to defeat the opponent that moment-it was bigger than that fight. There is always After the fight yet I think not all consider that every time. Her opponent was likely by skill or ability to defeat her that fight.
    Igot that the character focused on bait-one, step-one--moves that lose her the fight but gain her position. Chess players sacrifice pieces to gain in positioning later.

There was one group that used Shuai Jiao--I say because of throwing. But intimidationcame first as Batman might--first thing he presents, "Fear Me" sort-of-thing. Works or not next sting Throw. They were strong enough that any subtleties of Shuai Jiao might not be noticed...O.K. One group threw people around.

There was point and shoot. Spray with the fast shooting gun. Sniper Shot. Reload Sho...reload Shoo...please reload..Now! Shoot.

Close combat and crotch catch with the bottom of the foot.

Close combat/In-Fighting, swords, guns (of a variety), Strategies...Losing to Win (Investing in Loss :->)

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 08-03-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: 1 line~ also, spacing, . .
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

For a Western audience, the film was 3 stars of 4!

was watching "at the movies" last night and they reviewed the film and when i heard richard roeper say that the fights were edited like **** thats when i knew that this movie was off my list of movies i want to see. because if he could see that then this movie is hopeless. and actually they showed the sword fight and it looked like a kid edited it. corny

Just seen it today.

like it.

the stone army against skeleton army.

---

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    was watching "at the movies" last night and they reviewed the film and when i heard richard roeper say that the fights were edited like **** thats when i knew that this movie was off my list of movies i want to see. because if he could see that then this movie is hopeless. and actually they showed the sword fight and it looked like a kid edited it. corny
    Actually it was the other guy tht pointed out how bad the editing was. Richard Roper has no idea what a good fight scene is. And I agree about the editing in that Jet Li MIchelle Yeoh fight. There's like 3 cuts for every movement an actor makes. Stupid American editing.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

don't blame american editin

the best editors in the world are right here in the states walter murch, sally menke,jill bill****,thelma schoonmaker and on and on. people from all around the world come to america to learn how to edit. i'm sorry i just get ****ed when people try to critisizer american filmmaking forgeting that american films are the most copied films in the world.
    Last edited by doug maverick; 08-10-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Well in general I will take HK editing over American editing any day. For the most part American editing sucks really bad in fight scenes. That Michelle Yeoh fight is a perfect example. It's not like it's a new thing. That's the same editing I see in most American movie fight scenes. I've seen it for too long, and it sucks that it's still going on.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Besides the fight Jet Li had with Michelle Yeoh...I liked this movie
    I would give it 3 Gems out of 5
    If life isn't fair...than why should i be

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Well in general I will take HK editing over American editing any day. For the most part American editing sucks really bad in fight scenes. That Michelle Yeoh fight is a perfect example. It's not like it's a new thing. That's the same editing I see in most American movie fight scenes. I've seen it for too long, and it sucks that it's still going on.
    well if your talking about martial arts fight scenes then yes but if your talking about overall action sequence's then your bugging cause there are so many hk movies that rip action sequences straight out of american films cuts and all. and if your talking about overall editing then please please put down the bong your smoking on jethro. with all the giant plot holes and horrid cuts in emotianal scenes i could go on and on. while some hk filmmakers like andrew lau,johnnie to and of course john woo are fantastic editors in their own right. the speed in which HK films are cut togather leaves no time to really let the film sit inside the editor and directors mind to really tell the story instead of just peicing the film togather according to the script. i could probably write a whole disirtation on the defference between american and hong kong editing but i won't.
    Last edited by doug maverick; 08-13-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Yes I was talking about the fight scenes. You know, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh... I don't think I talked about anything else other than fight scenes and how American movies in general don't have good editing in fights and usually have too many cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Yes I was talking about the fight scenes. You know, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh... I don't think I talked about anything else other than fight scenes and how American movies in general don't have good editing in fights and usually have too many cuts.
    thats true the quick cut is sorta a staple, but again thats not all american films. please don't generalize.