Thread: What Is Trapping?

What Is Trapping?

Trapping as a concept has come up in discussions. What exactly is your definition of trapping and how does it play into your array of striking or standup training?

Simple answer

Hello,

IMHO, trapping is the placing the opponent into a position whereby they are unable, even if only momentarily unable to counter you while you are in a position to strike them. Trapping does not have to be limited to contact as you can use body positioning to put yourself into a position where you can counter but your opponent is unable to do so, without moving. It is not putting the opponent into a position where they are locked and unable to move, it can be transitory lasting only a moment or so. But, during that moment your opponent is unable to counter you and you are able to take advantage and strike them. IMO trapping is positional and not dependent on arms alone.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

IMHO, trapping is the placing the opponent into a position whereby they are unable, even if only momentarily unable to counter you while you are in a position to strike them. Trapping does not have to be limited to contact as you can use body positioning to put yourself into a position where you can counter but your opponent is unable to do so, without moving. It is not putting the opponent into a position where they are locked and unable to move, it can be transitory lasting only a moment or so. But, during that moment your opponent is unable to counter you and you are able to take advantage and strike them. IMO trapping is positional and not dependent on arms alone.
    Good answer sir.

James

trapping-In my opinion

1-Traps the mind-brain freeze
    2-Traps the ability to escape or counter
    3-Traps the ability to move
    4-Breaks the horse(structure) and creates lose of balance
    5-Prevents a counterattack with either hands or legs
    6-Leaves you in a position to use 2 hands and feet easily and evenly w/o having to reach the target by shifting

For me a trap is any time I am able to impede my opponents abilty to move or strike, an arm bar is a direct example, the clinch would be a vague example.

WC has many hand techniques that can be, and are used to trap, i.e. gum sau (pinning), fook sau, lop sau, jum sau. More so, it's a combination of technique, position and timing.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford