Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The existance of Squirrel Kung-Fu?

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    That was nice to read one called Kung Lek.

jmd161, it might not be just you. But One has to be lost before, found. Better to be lost with the potential to be found than on your way, then lost.

Perhaps, some might say some such very very
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Squirrel thread

This thread itself has taken a very squirrel-like style, darting in and out of trees and such. Everyone sees moving on the front page since this is the lowext traffic forum, just as everyone sees squirrels, but who really thinks about them?

kl - Everyone has trouble avoiding traffic, even Kungfu Grandmasters. Look at what happened to poor GM Lily Lau - she was hit by a car as a pedestrian and thrown 20 ft. That kind of fall would have killed an ordinary squirrel, but then since she's an eagle claw master, she probably kills plenty of squirrels for breakfast, symbolically speaking, of course.

jmd - Good question. Remember all who wander are not lost...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm amazed that I never noticed this thread before.

My sifu regularly refers to squirrels as his sifus, as whenever we're practicing, the squirrels often do things much more complicated than what we're working on and make it look simple.

That is my contribution to this secret sacred squirrel thread.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Thanks KC!

Your input was exactly what this thread was lacking...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sorry, one more thing:

Just got back from practice. While we were doing handstands in another area, the squirrel sifu was by the steps where we keep our stuff. When we returned, he ran off. We could find nothing different about our stuff, from our water to our pagers, etc.

Apparently, the squirrel is also a critter of mystery.

Blog Entries
    :-)

Part of Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu, Squirrel was; however good one is without warming up is as good as that one is-ish. Since practice happens only when one would like and for however long, I ended-up doing other things, just so that I wouldn't get in a pattern of things I practice/comprehend ~. There's sooo much, that to do any would be to not address all.~ But when I really something or othered, It was there-ish. And it would be nice. And comforting.

I like being reminded of things Squirrelie. And then I practice as an expression of Joy or Love...or some-such perhaps.

There is an attatchment at or near the bottom of this thread I am linking. It's the most base~ of the technique for the friend attacked by her father and seventeen year old son. The structure seems natural in that, if you assume it, it Is working, by design. It is to reduce damage to the face and head when attacked by a loved-one~. I comprehend that the head is a major target in situations of people getting attacked (vented on) by family members/loved-ones. With waist action to increase range this seems to be a low maintenance technique--it should be effective without much effort. I needed something for someone with no training I thought that this might be something.

Hand-on-forehead rests~ on forehead. Guarding face or side of head, hand is in contact. A punch connecting directly to the face might be more damaging than a punch connecting directly to a Hand resting~ on the face. Again an untrained person smaller than the attackers might not have the strength to receive a venting fist without hurting hand. The design of this technique seems to make punches getting-through, other than easy.

I sent you the fuller version KCElbows. Perhaps I would edit it to show the Hand on bicep guard and Hand on forehead guard--sides of face/head and put it at KFO (likely the self defense thread...(perhaps only if you didn't weceive it in the E-mail).

Here's that technique for your friend KCElbows
    Last edited by No_Know; 10-09-2002 at 04:27 AM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

No_Know,
    I've been meaning to reply to your email. Up until last night, my computer at home was down, and my work computer wouldn't play the clips you sent me, so I will probably watch them tonight. I appreciate the reply, and I will get back to you on them.

Are they squirrel techniques?

And am I to understand the the squirrel technician does not have a prearranged workout/warmup, but instead addresses all needs by addressing none? So the squirrel non-boxer embraces serendipity?

Blog Entries

Your answers-ish+

"And am I to understand the the squirrel technician does not have a prearranged workout/warmup, but instead addresses all needs by addressing none? So the squirrel non-boxer embraces serendipity?"

Hopefully I No_Know what you might are to understand (no offense intended). But what you said sounds nice...
    possiblly it could be understood to be that way.

While being, if Serindipity occures very very. That too seems as though it might be nice.

Are they squirrel techniques? Undetermined~. I do whatever. Based on Fun, Exacting biomechanics, looks good or feels nice. And Comfort. Relevant to Comprehension(s).

There is perhaps pre-thought. Then think, sparked by whatever, to whatever a Concept. In this case, head/face defense with the resources of two hands, two arms and a body.

Not anything exists, before it does.

Whatever I come-up-with would likely be either Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu or Squirrel. Squirrel stuff is based on Concepts at least in part relevant to posture and breathing (I think that Breathing is what determinbes the Squirrel stuff). Whatever has a certain balance of those Concepts is Squirrel. Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu (Ehr-ni's Kung-Fu or 2d'Kung-Fu) has fighting looking stuff but is restricted to Squirrelness. Squirrel does not attack-ish.

I hadn't differentiated it before KCElbows, but the technique I posted as an attachment to the above linked thread could be used by Squirrel...Except that it is rooted to the upper-body/head/face area. Squirrel could use those techniques for a moment but would should return to Squirrel at Rest or whatever was appropriate for the moment, each moment...

They are perhaps more 2d'Kung-Fu techniques.

If I come-up with what others or another have/has done, did I get it from them? Not necessarily. Did it come from me alone?~ Not necessarily. Is it mine? Some might say No.

A concept: things exist. No discoveries~. More at realizations of what was already there.

Two or more people with the exact idea or thought. Is it one's more-so than the others? Not necessarily. Is it all or some of theirs? Not necessarily. But they all did realize it. So (needle-and-thread), I have had realizations. I might Will have realizations. I have~ classified certain realizations as being Squirrel or Squirrel-like. Were they there before I realized them? I No_Know. Will I realize them all? Doubtful. I can percieve that they exist~, but likely won't realize them all. There are some in which I might not be interested. I would realize the ones that suit my Comprehension. Others would realize the Squirrel that suits theirs. We all start from Squirrel, whatever that might be. Variation of variation of variation of variation...are accessible by me (whomever--full-fledged 2d'Kung-Fu, Squirrel practitioner). I would realize them in order as I walk that Way. But I might recognize it though not a way station I have visited. Because With the Conceptualization, It Is, Was, Will Be, Is Not, Was Not ever, Will Not ever Be Squirrel.
    Last edited by No_Know; 10-09-2002 at 09:19 AM.

I think I get it.

As a crude example, someone could do a block in a way that 5 animal boxers might call tiger. Then, a variation on that block, that might be what someone would call hsing yi. They could continue on this way, doing the same block, but making the details change so that it becomes sun tai chi, chen style, wu style, hung gar.

However, if they find they need to block, and it comes out naturally and relaxed, yet without any of the meaningless details, it would be squirrel. Yet it would not be squirrel, as squirrel never was when tiger and such were made, but still it would be squirrel.

It's just like the squirrel on the steps near all of our stuff. When it was gone, could we prove it was the squirrel? No, nothing was different after the squirrel from before, except us. We had come to know squirrel.

Am I close?

Blog Entries
    At least close. :~>

Some might say some-such perhaps...:~>

but that's so abtract...

..why bother give it a name then? If your going to be that elusive, need it be squirrel? Couldn't it be anything? I would think that it would be a problem to define such a phenomena as squirrel. It limits it to something fuzzy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Perhaps I just missed the bill there.

Although squirrels are fuzzy.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure It has a name. It has a reference though. It could have any reference. If you and I are talking about the same thing (you say, "la luna", I say, "moon"). You may use your references, but using different references can get confusing (I say "moon" talking about la luna you think, why am I talking about showing my butt). I brought these things-up, therefore we use My references. Whatever universal truths I might be comming-across, I came by them by way of Would-liking a Kung-Fu that was mine. Basing it on What I understodd to be a Fighting Kung-Fu from Jademan Comics; Saturday afternoon Black Belt theater on television and the like, the American theater talkies, Kung-Fu videos, and things I had come to understand as mistakes made by people in some School class or some such, and Kung-Fu manuals (mostly Shao-lin five animal things (171); Bucksam Kong's Hung gar Tiger/Crane; Seven-Star Praying Mantis techniques; Snake, Cat and Crane; Heung fist five pattern; Striking Snake; and some books in a series on Chinese National Art~; Pa Kua; bokken; sai; nunchukku; tonfa; wu-shu spear; Dragon Walking swordmanship (Chinese straight sword...). But I needed a model to put form to the concepts or as a vehicle to realize the concepts. I did not have Tigers or cranes in my backyard. But I did have squirrels.

To me, Kung-Fu was about defense. To attack creates a vulnerability. This seemed counter to what I understood of what I observed. But this was mine, and I was going to do it Right~. No attack. But I enjoyed the attack type stuff Hence Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu. Both are Ernie Moore Jr's Kung-Fu, to some extent (yet not Kung-Fu) And both are Squirrel. The vagueness is also exactness.
    Last edited by No_Know; 10-10-2002 at 05:47 PM.

nuts

Actually KC I think you cracked that nut clean. I was just postulating for the sake of argument. Darting to and fro, you know, as a squirrel might. Still having a hard time with the squirrel section of my xingyi so I like to grapple with this thread in hopes of some enlightenment. Besides it's the longest one on this forum so I got to keep feeding it nuts, so to speak.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

At the same time, it's like the book says, that was squirrel then, this is squirrel now. Who nows what squirrel tomorrow will reveal.

Goodnight all.