Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sparring CLF Style

you definatly not limited in san shou tournaments and can still do a sow choy or pek choy. Where you are limited is only with regards to the striking surface, but if you know how to throw a sow choy, you wouldnt have a problem with connecting it slightly differently.

Also there is definatly a difference between wild swinging (brawling) and throwing a well executed well focussed strike.

I've completed the IwUF San Shou Judges course and the rules allows for pretty much any type of fighting. Only thing is, the fighters probably dont practice it that way.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Blog Entries
    now getting back to clf sparring.........

personally i teach a lot of defense first. its my goal to have my students balanced both offensively and defensively. it's a natural human reaction to protect oneself and all i'm trying to do is enhance that natural reflex.

but, i try not to have my students use conventional punching like boxing, but encourage them to only use the strikes within our system. in one of our recent sparring sessions we've incorporated a lion dance move with avoiding a shoot. no, its not the end all situation, but is one way to get out of the way of someone shooting in on you. we happened by accident to discover that his move can also be used as reverse flying knees. connected right under my students chin and could have been a knock out blow.

but if we do used conventional strikes its usually to set something up.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

..speaking of discoveries, I recall one time I was watching this Chinese gung fu flick and one fight scene this guy leaped or hopped on the thighs of his opponent then attacked from that position. Well, the move was so fantastical I naturally had to try it! Ya know what..it worked.

I was sparring in kwoon and faked a few attacks to see how my sparring partner would react, amd as he wasn't overly aggressive, I saw my opportunity to try my monkey(??) attack. I faked with a high move to the head then leaped right foot followed bu left foot onto his thighs, grabbed either side of his neck and successfully attacked his head in a monkey like fashion.

And People say many movements/techniques in forms are antiquated or 'fluff' or useless- ha! I think most peeps just forgot how to use it or never learned how in the first place.

There are many moves in Sup Ji Ch'uan that I've yet to work into practical application (beauty of that pattern) but have some ideas. Also I am getting a better feel for when to use certain long arm techniques inside close. My sifu uses a certain long arm technique (perhaps a variation on biu sau) in sai ping ma that is executed in close and throws your opponent off balance then is usually followed up with either kup or sau choi. It's a beautiful thing that I never did but interestingly enough have come to appreciate and understand a little more.

Until next time..

Blog Entries
    yeah we do the same thing with what you called biu sau we say biu sei. anyways, it gets even better when you can get you thigh right under his and launch it sending him flying.

alot of people neglect clf's leg fighting stuff, like the horses.

but hey........
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

ya I agree but I have found I can't get close enough cuz when I take it to them they turn tail and run. thankfully we have our running horse! i'll also throw in a nice crescent kick to the floating ribs for good measure depending how fast the run away

nospam