Thread: Sick and tired of all the trolls who can sign up without using an email that works

Dale Dugas Guest

Sick and tired of all the trolls who can sign up without using an email that works

I wanted to let you know that Im sick of all the fools who can sign up under some silly names and then not have to prove they exist by not making them include an email address. Most other sites have this. Why not here?

It would make it better if we could stop all the trolls and fools before they even get to the posts. What do you say?

In Boston,

Dale Dugas
    Ironmonk67

GeneChing Guest

We do have their email address

....but it doesn't do much good.

If you remember, when you sign up and email confirmation is sent from our hosts at Infopop. This must be confirmed from the address of origin; We cannot override it. That email is kept in our records, but there's no guarentee that anyone keeps the same address once they are verified. We do screen all applicants, every day. However, given the anonymity of the net, it doesn't take a webmaster to penetrate any forum.

The forum is open to all applicants. Anyone with a email address can apply. We can only screen a limited amount, but their offense must be really obvious. The system is far from fool (or troll) proof, but such is the pitfalls of the net. What to you want for free?

Lately I have begun to think of trolls as puppies who are not house-trained. You can't really take offense if one poops in your house. Puppies do that. You can either train it, send it outside, or ignore it. Training takes effort, but it is essential to kungfu. We never stop training - not with so many puppies. Sending puppies outside is akin to banning, but our house isn't puppy-proof, so most of them get back inside. And ignoring? Fortunately, it's only virtual poop in a virtual house, so it doesn't stink if you don't pay attention to it.

Personally, I like puppies. They're very entertaining.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

Shaolindynasty Guest
    They are pretty entertaining somtimes. Have you ever noticed that alot of them just bring up the same old subjects over and over again and each board has it's own favorite reacuring topic. I've noticed on the kungfu board it's always grappling vs. Kungfu, on the Southern board their is this thing with a Jim Lacy guy, and finally on the Shaolin board there is Shaolin Do. I find this entertaining don't you(although somtimes it can be anoying that everyone tries to "open" each others eyes to frauds when they just look ridiculous saying the same thing over and over again). Like some anonomous person on a computer is going to change the way they see things from their personal experience. :rolleyes:

Witness the Dynasty!!!
    New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

GeneChing Guest

funny you should mention that...

You know Lacy and Shaolin Do have been big controveries here, but did you notice that both have appeared in the last two issues of Isnide Kung-Fu? Dave Cater, if your reading our forum, what are you thinking? :rolleyes:

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher

Shaolindynasty Guest

IKF

I see alot of shady characters in inside kungfu, makes you think though with all the bad kungfu articles they publish how many people on their staff actually practice "real" Kungfu themselves? :confused: Also they seem alittle behind on the times. Their articles seem to come from the 80's but I don't want to get an arguemnet started so I'll end by saying LONG LIVE KUNGFU QIGONG MAGAZINE!!!!

Witness the Dynasty!!!

Dale Dugas Guest

Dear Mr. Ching

Thank you for answering my question. I posted in a little bit of frustration. It is strange as you said that people are publishing both Shaolin Do(please, they have ALL the forms from ALL the temples?) and Jim Lacy(guffaw, laugh, chuckle).

I think of them as kids who havent had the life experience yet in life.

Peace,

Dale Dugas

Radhnoti Guest
    Gene, I'd say they were thinkin' the same thing you guys were when you published the article where the SD members went to China a few issues back. "Oh boy, good pictures...and it's the biggest CMA school in the country. We'll sell a few more copies! Print it!" Or were you referring to having TWO controversial articles in the same issue?
    Dale Dugas, that's ok...it's probably what we'd think of you too. ;)

-Radhnoti

GeneChing Guest

trolls...

shaolindynasty: Thanks again for the props, man. Everyone on our full-time staff practices kungfu or qigong, except one graphic artist, but he loves martial arts movies and is fluent in cantonese (plus he does awesome work.)

dale dugas: Don't let the trolls get to you! Just assume that every troll is a teenage boy in his underwear munching cheetos, never been kissed or a sloppy 40-year-old man in his underwear munching cheetos, never been kissed. Once you get that image in your head, it's pretty easy to deal with even the most insulting of trolls. They're only frustrating if you assume they are being reasonable, a faulty assumption on the forums. And there are enough cool, intelligent people here to make up for all those cheeto-eating, underwear clad, unkissed trolls.

gotta go now, the lunch wagon just rolled up and i'm fresh outta cheetos.... :p

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher

GeneChing Guest

radhnoti

Good point.
    The southern temple article drew such poor reaction, as did our Lacy articles. I think we've been over this already - especially since I was the one who pushed for the southern temple article to be published. I figured our readers would be fascinated with the southern temple story, but most just seemed to fixate on the SD angle. It was a shame - those WERE great pics...

My comment was more motivated by internal difficulties we have had with both Lacy and SD articles. I suppose that's a big difference between IKF and Kungfu Qigong, we try not to focus on that type of controversy.

BTW, Dave Cater sat between the CEOs of our company here, Thomas Oh and Gigi Oh, at Cung Le's Born to Fight event last weekend. We are competitors, but we still share the same seats...

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher

Shaolindynasty Guest

To be honest

The southern Shaolin article was great! Before that article came out I saw some pictures on a site on the web that said the pictures were sent aynonomously. Ever since I saw those pictures I tried to find more info on the South temple but couldn't find it. It's good that the SD people wrote it and it's good the KungfuQigong published it. I don't care about controversy in fact I am starting to get sick of it, people are spending too much time worring about other peoples schools(mostly lineages) than practicing themselves. In this way I really respect Karate people they tend to focus on the practice and not the "lineage" maybe we should take a lesson here.

Witness the Dynasty!!!
    New original products!!!!
    www.cafepress.com/dynastystore

GeneChing Guest

shaolindynasty

Thanks for the encouragement (but you are biased ;) )
    Actually I had hoped the article would have been more penetrating as to what is happening at the Southern Shaolin Temple, but those pics were great. We have another researcher that is planning a trip and he is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese. So watch the mag for more...

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher

Shaolindynasty Guest

Yes!!!

Can't wait for more on the Southern temple, I'd like to visit it but I don't know anything about it and 2 I don't speak Chinese(this is the only reason I haven't visited the SongShan temple yet 3 those tours don't stay there long enough. Man I gotta learn to speak Chinese!

Witness the Dynasty!!!
    New original products!!!!
    www.cafepress.com/dynastystore