Thread: Sifu Sam Chan seminar in Arizona....

Sifu Sam Chan seminar in Arizona....

Update...
    I wanted to give a brief update on the Prescott Valley Wing Chun seminar conducted by Sifu Sam Chan.

I regret that I didn't make it to the first day of the seminar, as I had to work that day and got up there late. Though when I walked in to the kwoon my first impression of Sifu Sam Chan was that he appears to be somewhat thin and frail. Though I have learned over the years to not let this be the judge of one's Kung Fu.....and boy was I right!

Sifu Sam Chan has to be the most humble and least political Wing Chun teachers I have ever met. He never said that another system was incorrect, he would just share his view points and then back them up with reasoning and show how they would work in a certain manner or situation.

I must also say that I have never been to a seminar where so many aspect of the art were shared. Sifu Chan walked everyone one through the forms, structures and applications of Siu Lim Tau and Chum Kiu. Application through chi sau is where the fun began (especially since just about all his students that came weren't all that small in stature.....LOL).

The second half of the day was given to dummy work/applications, the look dim boon kwan and lion dancing.

I can't tell you what a great time this was, as mentioned, Sifu Chan was very inviting and humble.......I wouldn't hesitate to attend another of his seminars. In the words of Sifu Don Grose- "I have paid a lot more, for a lot less".

I wish more from the phoenix area would have attended. Unfortunatley, I heard that a school refused to come because they didn't know who he was.....but I have learned that famous doesn't make you great and unknown doesn't make you terrible.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Quote Originally Posted by azwingchun View Post
    I wish more from the phoenix area would have attended. .... I have learned that famous doesn't make you great and unknown doesn't make you terrible.
    Hey John, who is Sam Chan? From what lineage? I'm asking out of curiousity, not boycotting any meetings or anything.

Wayfaring....

LOL!!!!!! I believe he is under Sifu Ip Ching.....not sure of his complete background to be honest. His website is http://www.chanskungfu.com/.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Thumbs up

He is from Grand Rapids and is a very nice man ! I bought my first staff from him. His school usually participates in the Midland MI tournament put on by Sifu Henry Chung (Qixing Tanglang) on Memorial Day weekend. His guys usually do very well in sparring.