Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu in MMA

Kung Fu in MMA

Check this guy out, I was pretty impressed. The Kung Fu guy has real good stand up. The skinny Mexican guy is my old coach, Miguel Torres.

round 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rnEa...8%2D4451%2Db0d

round 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ah8...8%2D4451%2Db0d

round 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6G8g...8%2D4451%2Db0d
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I wish, for Torres' sake, there were more opportunities for smaller fighters on the big stage.

Charles Wilson (the kung fu guy) has a 4-5 pro mma record, 8-0 as an amateur. Or so sayeth FCFighter.com, anyway. He would've done himself a favor to use the side kick more and the crescent/axe kick less, but it was a great performance against a guy who's 31-1.
    Last edited by LeeCasebolt; 05-06-2007 at 11:54 PM. Reason: I can't spell "amateur"
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Miguel Torres is supposed to be the shiznit. I have heard a lot of good things about him.

I've watch mma stuff for awhile now.
    Mostly main stream fights.
    Anyway, I can't figure out why the don't let kung fu of any type in the ring more often. i mean hell mma is about as close as you can get to a street fight with a reff lol.
    By mma i mean UFC, Pride and other main stages.

Wilson did extremely well against Torres. You really have to see some of Miguel's earlier fights to realize how good Wilson is.

I'm kinda suprised this hasn't generated more discussion. 8 out of ten threads here are CMA vs. MMA, and here's a video fo two guys at the top of their game showing just that.

*shrug*
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I'm waiting for someone to claim it isn't kung fu that helped him last as long as he did. Like Shaolin friggin' chuan fa isn't about as kung fu as it gets. Though really, if people can tout Jason DeLucia as being a "kung fu expert" then I don't see why they would have any problem with calling this guy a kung fu practitioner.

At any rate, it's obvious that he cross-trained in grappling, which is commendable. Everyone who plans on fighting should, and though he lost, he had a nice sprawl. It just goes to show that the only way to "anti-grapple" is to train in grapplng. I loved how Torres went down and Wilson took the sensible route and didn't fall on his opponent... at least till he got taken down :P Nice stuff

On a side note, that "slightly tilted to the side stance" is awfully similar to how my Sifu sparred (*sniff* I miss kung fu ) except he tended to keep his guard a bit higher and closer to the side of his face.
    Last edited by BlueTravesty; 05-07-2007 at 08:04 PM.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

I'm kinda suprised this hasn't generated more discussion. 8 out of ten threads here are CMA vs. MMA, and here's a video fo two guys at the top of their game showing just that
    Get it moved to the main forum and I bet dollars to donuts you will see more response. I think some will refrain from here because the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrikkin View Post
    Anyway, I can't figure out why the don't let kung fu of any type in the ring more often.
    You can't let people in if they don't ask in. There's been a dearth of CMA competitors in MMA for the last thirteen years, a trend which is now reversing itself.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

good fight

Thumbs up

Sifu Wilson is in my kung fu family, Tsai's Shaolin Chuan Fa of Chicago. I would love to see him fight! Thanks for posting this. Best wishes to him in his future matches!
    Last edited by TaichiMantis; 05-08-2007 at 05:50 AM.

I got my start at Tsai Fu as well. It's good to see one of the family doing so well!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

my old cma teacher was in tsai's lineage.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to claim it isn't kung fu that helped him last as long as he did. Like Shaolin friggin' chuan fa isn't about as kung fu as it gets. Though really, if people can tout Jason DeLucia as being a "kung fu expert" then I don't see why they would have any problem with calling this guy a kung fu practitioner.
    nobody would say kung fu didn't help him. What we talk about is when you take a guy like cung le, who trained tkd and has wrestled his entire life, in addition to training cma and you guys try to say he is a pure cma guy - he is not. doesn't mean he didn't use his kung fu at all, but tkd + wrestling + kung fu doesn't = pure kung fu.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Etrikkin View Post
    I've watch mma stuff for awhile now.
    Mostly main stream fights.
    Anyway, I can't figure out why the don't let kung fu of any type in the ring more often. i mean hell mma is about as close as you can get to a street fight with a reff lol.
    By mma i mean UFC, Pride and other main stages.
    They don't let kung fu in the ring because most Kung fu guys are too deadly to compete in mma. My opinion, anyway.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-08-2007 at 10:52 AM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Troll, a mod troll at that.