Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    nobody would say kung fu didn't help him. What we talk about is when you take a guy like cung le, who trained tkd and has wrestled his entire life, in addition to training cma and you guys try to say he is a pure cma guy - he is not. doesn't mean he didn't use his kung fu at all, but tkd + wrestling + kung fu doesn't = pure kung fu.

Is there an official resume? Or are you just relegating his cma to the back of the bus?

http://www.cungle.com/sv/html/websit...aphy.html&id=6

you will notice his interests are as follows

movies, MMA, BJJ, Sanshou.....i think he put it to the back of the bus
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

although i would say its because he has been a sanshou champ for so long... he needs something new.

thats MMA, and well why not use BJJ since its proven effectivness is already present.

cung le is my personal favorit sport fighter, i enjoyed watching his 2 mma fights and all his sanshou stuff.

cant wait to see him go for a 3rd MMA match up. hopefully something heavy
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Wilson did real well.

anyone know where he crosstrained for the ground? or what system?
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Is there an official resume? Or are you just relegating his cma to the back of the bus?
    who cares about his resume? is he PURE kung fu? even you aren't that anal. He's definitely a cma guy, but he's not a pure cma like you guys seem to claim if he's trained arts other than cma.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    http://www.cungle.com/sv/html/websit...aphy.html&id=6

you will notice his interests are as follows

movies, MMA, BJJ, Sanshou.....i think he put it to the back of the bus
    wow...pwnd.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

BTW i generally dont count Cung Le's third match cause it was called for a cut.

although technically i guess his MMA record is 3-0

so i should say i cant wait for his 4th match?
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

It was an ok fight. I don't know what his corner was saying to him. He could have won if he had some decent punching and kicking ability. The MMA guy barely won that fight. He kind of should be ashamed, especially after how much bad mouthing MMA guys do to KF.

TMA guys have been mouth bashing mma for years as well. I have old insude kung fu mags from like 1994 with articles explaining the easy cma way to defeat a grappler's "tackle". The bashing has definitely gone both ways. I actually hear more bashing from tma guys than mma guys.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

TMA guys have been mouth bashing mma for years as well. I have old insude kung fu mags from like 1994 with articles explaining the easy cma way to defeat a grappler's "tackle". The bashing has definitely gone both ways. I actually hear more bashing from tma guys than mma guys.
    Maybe back then, but nowadays TMA and MMA bash each other pretty much equally.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    I haven't found a resume - yeah I looked, just for you - but I found that he started tkd when he was 10 and trained it for almost a year. He then wrestled from high school through college competitively - actually through the present since he still uses it in san shou. He started TKD again along with "vietnamese kung fu" when he was 19.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    It was an ok fight. I don't know what his corner was saying to him. He could have won if he had some decent punching and kicking ability. The MMA guy barely won that fight. He kind of should be ashamed, especially after how much bad mouthing MMA guys do to KF.

Yes, Miguel should be ashamed, especially with a 41-1-0 record. Thing is, to prove Sev's point above, this guy is probably one of the most humble people I have ever met. I've never heard him say a bad word about anyone, and yet, he gets bashed here by a nobody. Unfortunately, I've found this to be typical. The only thing that fight proved was how good Charles Wilson is. I was stunned when I saw Miguel get knocked down twice in the first round. Torres is known for his stand up just as much as his ground work.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Yes, Miguel should be ashamed, especially with a 41-1-0 record. Thing is, to prove Sev's point above, this guy is probably one of the most humble people I have ever met. I've never heard him say a bad word about anyone, and yet, he gets bashed here by a nobody. Unfortunately, I've found this to be typical. The only thing that fight proved was how good Charles Wilson is. I was stunned when I saw Miguel get knocked down twice in the first round. Torres is known for his stand up just as much as his ground work.
    Yes. With a 41-1-0 record and barely beating a guy (4-5) who has pretty average kicks, he should be. Was this a three round match? If it was and the match continued the way it was going, who would win? It would have been up for grabs.

Ok. That is one article. It was probably written by a master who never fought in his life. You know as well as I know that there isn't an easy way to defeat a grapple's "tackle". I think I remember an article that was somewhere along those lines. I laughed at it then.
    Go to a MMA forum. Go to bullshido (I wish back when it was mcdojos). Read what they have to say about kung fu.

Sevenstar

Don't get me wrong. I am kind of happy that MMA guys and BBJ guys are calling Kung fu guys out. It is cleaning out all of the bums and weak styles. A lot of that crap has to go.

I am just talking about the fact that when I walk into a school and they ask what do I do and I say kung fu and they say "Oh... That's cool... Uh have you used it in a fight?" Mind you, they are being smug about it. Some have said it is a waste of time (TMA).