Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Yes. With a 41-1-0 record and barely beating a guy (4-5) who has pretty average kicks, he should be. Was this a three round match? If it was and the match continued the way it was going, who would win? It would have been up for grabs.
    I guess that's your opinion. After training with the guy for 2 1/2 years, I'd say your opinion is way off the mark. Here's a highlight video that has some of Miguel's stand up. To me, that shows how good Wilson really is. He impressed the heck outta me. You kinda just insulted the both of them with your comment.

Torres Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XR_m...8%2D456c%2D84b
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Wowzers.

. . . when did it get so negative? Is a new forum name that horrible?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    who cares about his resume? is he PURE kung fu? even you aren't that anal. He's definitely a cma guy, but he's not a pure cma like you guys seem to claim if he's trained arts other than cma.
    I never understood this argument on either side. Cung Le trains San Shou, he's a San Shou guy. To me, it's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    I never understood this argument on either side. Cung Le trains San Shou, he's a San Shou guy. To me, it's really that simple.
    yeah, you would think. But san shou = chinese, so once again, he is a pure cma... it's ludicrous.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Nobody's pure anything in this arena. I've done Tai Chi, Shuai Chiao, Muay Thai, Boxing, and BJJ, but if you ask me what I am, I'm a Judo guy. Cause that's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    Maybe back then, but nowadays TMA and MMA bash each other pretty much equally.
    No, they don't really. And I am referring to real life encounters, not the web. when I first started at my current school, they were really interested that I trained kung fu - they wanted to see it. As far as they are concerned, if you can make it work, it's good. However, at my CMA school, they made me and another guy stop training grappling during the open mat sessions. consequently, we stopped going to the open mat sessions and started using some space in the field house of a nearby university.

When talking to a cashier who recognized us from the mma school, we invited him to come train sometime. He declined and said he trained a traditional art and could not be taken to the ground.

I was once told by a cma "boxers have no skill, they just stand and slug each other"

I was once told that after three months of grappling any CMA would be better than a bjj blue belt.

Heck, just TODAY - like two hours ago - my friend said she decided to learn kung fu and not "that cagefighting stuff" that I do, because kung fu is more deadly. Seriously.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Nobody's pure anything in this arena. I've done Tai Chi, Shuai Chiao, Muay Thai, Boxing, and BJJ, but if you ask me what I am, I'm a Judo guy. Cause that's what I do.
    yeah. it really should be that simple.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    No, they don't really. And I am referring to real life encounters, not the web. when I first started at my current school, they were really interested that I trained kung fu - they wanted to see it. As far as they are concerned, if you can make it work, it's good. However, at my CMA school, they made me and another guy stop training grappling during the open mat sessions. consequently, we stopped going to the open mat sessions and started using some space in the field house of a nearby university.

When talking to a cashier who recognized us from the mma school, we invited him to come train sometime. He declined and said he trained a traditional art and could not be taken to the ground.

I was once told by a cma "boxers have no skill, they just stand and slug each other"

I was once told that after three months of grappling any CMA would be better than a bjj blue belt.

Heck, just TODAY - like two hours ago - my friend said she decided to learn kung fu and not "that cagefighting stuff" that I do, because kung fu is more deadly. Seriously.
    I see your point.

I guess that's your opinion. After training with the guy for 2 1/2 years, I'd say your opinion is way off the mark. Here's a highlight video that has some of Miguel's stand up. To me, that shows how good Wilson really is. He impressed the heck outta me. You kinda just insulted the both of them with your comment.

Torres Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XR_m...8%2D456c%2D84b
    After watching that HL clip, he should very much be ashamed with his display in that fight.

Wilson was not that special. He was ok. I give him props for lasting. However, he is an ok fighter 4-5. Actually that is not ok. He is below 50%. So do we have to make a special standard for Kung fu? Losing more than you win is not good in any sport.

How am I insulting Torres when I am basically saying that he is better than what he displayed. He should went through him. He has more than four times more ring exp. and more than ten times the wins.
    Last edited by Flying-Monkey; 05-08-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Nice standup by the KF guy, at least at the beginning. He kind of lost confidence as the fight progressed and he kept getting dominated on the ground.

Also, nice open guard kicks by Torres. Very technical for those who understand effective kicks from the open guard.

Looks like Torres might want to tighten up his standup game a bit... got surprised by a couple of side kicks. You can see in his highlight vid that he maybe opens up a bit too much/soon in his standup attacks.

Other than that... good fight. The KF guy had a lot of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Nice standup by the KF guy,
    I predict this will show up in the sig line of 75 % of the posters on this board.

yep, it getting quite cold in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post

How am I insulting Torres when I am basically saying that he is better than what he displayed. He should went through him. He has more than four times more ring exp. and more than ten times the wins.
    Wilson is also 8-0 amateur. The guy may had started off against very tough opponenents, or maybe he need to get some 'ring sense' at a pro level. Whatever the case, I think his performance was much more than average against Miguel.

It looks like you're downplaying both fighter's performance by calling the Kung Fu guy 'average' and saying Miguel should be 'ashamed.' I've seen a lot of fights, and that was a hella good fight between two tough opponents. But, that's my opinion, and you're entitled to yours.

I predict this will show up in the sig line of 75 % of the posters on this board.
    Just watched the clips again. Looks more like a mix of TKD and wrestling than KF... head back, hands low, ax kicks, spinning back kicks, good wrestling sprawls.

Definitely saved by the bell in the first round.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 05-08-2007 at 05:48 PM.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I knew it was too good to be true. I'll keep the sig anyways.

It was an "ok" bout. Just OK.