Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    i think this is just the beginning of a coming trend.

there are more kungfu guys mixing it up with the mma crowd than some might think.

anyone who has studied CMA in depth at all knows there are deffinate effective qualities to CMA.

its just a matter of time before other people notice this. as well as kungfu guys utilizing this in an mma environment.

i see the kungfu/mma cross over as an inevitability.

almost seemed that wilson may have just had a flavor torrez wasnt quite used to, torrez just had to figure out the equation and solve the problem with a submission.

what he said...........

Quote Originally Posted by ****fullAbel View Post
    Why? They've already been discussed to death. And always to the same conclusion.

"He may have studied KF for 1000 years but since he took two weeks of BJJ it doesn't count."

No end to the 'ol insecurity, and its inevitable byproducts.

He may have studied KF for 1000 years but since he took two weeks of BJJ it doesn't count
    I want to mee the cat who studied kung fu for a thousand years. I bet he has one hell of a supplement program to be that old.

Ginseng, all he takes is Ginseng!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Why? They've already been discussed to death. And always to the same conclusion.

"He may have studied KF for 1000 years but since he took two weeks of BJJ it doesn't count."
    so name someone besides cung le, who has 20 years of wrestling. I tried to say delucia, who has a decent record, and every cma guy on this forum said he wasn't a real cma
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    i think this is just the beginning of a coming trend.

there are more kungfu guys mixing it up with the mma crowd than some might think.

anyone who has studied CMA in depth at all knows there are deffinate effective qualities to CMA.

its just a matter of time before other people notice this. as well as kungfu guys utilizing this in an mma environment.

i see the kungfu/mma cross over as an inevitability.
    it will never happen. kung fu will always be in the minority within the mma venue. it doesn't have to be, but it will be.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I don't buy that. I think it is just a matter of time before you start seeing good CMA in MMA. It's going to happen slowly, but it will happen.

If you think about it, CMA needs to do 2 things, invert the amount of time spent on forms with two man work and Sparr more, and work thier anti takedown skills more.

That is all that is needed, everythig else is there. We got striking, Kicking joint manipulations, throwing, ground and pound, it's all there. It just needs to be unzipped and worked.

We even have our own venues to hone skills in prior to entering the MMA venues.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post

If you think about it, CMA needs to do 2 things,
    Get rid of forms altogether.
    Learn groundfighting.

Anti-grappling won't get you far in MMA.

I don'tthink yoou need to get rid of forms all together...although originally forms were only for the trainers to organise a curriculem. Also were more ment to maintian skills than develop them in the first place.

Kung Fu has grapeling, and throwing, just not the ground stufff like BJJ.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Learn groundfighting.

I agree that forms won't get you anywhere as far as learning to fight

I agree you need to learn ground fighting

But let's stop to discuss "anti grappling" for a minute

Teh term comes from "Kahm Na" (translated often as grappling) and "FAAN Kahm Na" (which is thus translated as "anti grappling")

The "FAAN" means to reverse or counter. Sure, mired in mysticism and BS it becomes all so much crap

In practical application, much of it is standard grappling fare

1. hand fighting
    2. pummeling
    3. hip movement
    4. level control
    5. snap downs

IE, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    I don't buy that. I think it is just a matter of time before you start seeing good CMA in MMA. It's going to happen slowly, but it will happen.

If you think about it, CMA needs to do 2 things, invert the amount of time spent on forms with two man work and Sparr more, and work thier anti takedown skills more.

That is all that is needed, everythig else is there. We got striking, Kicking joint manipulations, throwing, ground and pound, it's all there. It just needs to be unzipped and worked.

We even have our own venues to hone skills in prior to entering the MMA venues.
    i think all CMA would bbenefit if sparring was done san da style with smaller gloves

u are right we have alot of good stuff here and we are too caught up in forms and technicalities if we trained harder and more realisticly alot of the applications might end up working outside of the kwoon

basically everything we think we know in cma should be stripped apart and put back together again to make it more relevant
    (a good example would be alan orr's wing chun club here in the uk what e did woas take mma takedowns etc and take most of the boxing away replacing it with wing chun)
    we need to take the application 2 man sets with a pinch of salt also
    i think we kid ourselves too much when it comes to them
    so yeah
    thats how i think cma could have a real future as a "martial" art
    otherwise its doomed
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Learn groundfighting.

yeah that too
    aniti grappling has its place and i certainly find it useful

i think forms need ALOT less emphasis
    and when performed should be done kinda like shadow boxing is done more as a tool to help when u fight than something to show off with
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

There is no such thing as anti-grappling.

Form work is a tool. Like any tool, its used for a purpose. Getting rid of it, or not, is a moot point.

Because:

What CMA REALLYneeds is people who are not 3 hour a week hobbyists to do it seriously enough to compete. If its not your "job" or even a second "job" then don't expect to be effective.

Note my sig:

If its not your "job" or even a second "job" then don't expect to be effective
    Wow rudy, that has to be the most honest example of cma I have ever heard and also at the same time the most ****ing.

If you find that to be the case, why on anyone's count, would anyone ever, in a million years, ever bother wasting time on something that is so a$$backwards that you have to make it your "job" to be effective in self defense.