Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Be Careful What You Put In Cyberspace

OT: Be Careful What You Put In Cyberspace

I just read a story about a girl who was going to school to be a teacher. The school happened to find her "MySpace" page. On it was a picture of her with a drink in her hand and the caption was, "Drunken Pirate"....

The school told her she wasn't fit to be a teacher and denied her the teachig certificate a day before graduation.

My guess is there is more to this story than just a picture on a website however just remember that anything what you publish on the web might come back to bite you!

thats very unfair. a legal adult should be able to drink off duty.

authoritarian @ss-holes

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

I saw her interview on the news. She was NOT a teacher, but a student studying to become a teacher, with good grades, who was denied her diploma over the incident.

Also, the contents of the drink are unknown, it could have been 7-up for all they knew.

Also, ALSO, she is well over 21, and can leagally drink till she falls over if she chooses.

If she can loose her diploma over this, then so can all college students.

In the interview, they said she is suing the school over this, and will most likely win.

No one on this thread said she was a teacher.

In any case it's rather obvious that there is more going on here then that stupid photo. I'm fairly certain that after a visit from her lawyers they will give her the certificate. However whoever started this has gotten what they wanted. She might have a hard time finding a job.

In any case it's pretty stupid if you want to be a teacher to post a picture of yourself as a drunk on the web....especially if you have enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I saw her interview on the news. She was NOT a teacher, but a student studying to become a teacher, with good grades, who was denied her diploma over the incident.

Also, the contents of the drink are unknown, it could have been 7-up for all they knew.

Also, ALSO, she is well over 21, and can leagally drink till she falls over if she chooses.

If she can loose her diploma over this, then so can all college students.

In the interview, they said she is suing the school over this, and will most likely win.

Depends on the school... If it's a private school with a code of conduct i.e. no drinking.. then they can do whatever they like. I seriously doubt that this will stand however.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post

In any case it's rather obvious that there is more going on here then that stupid photo. I'm fairly certain that after a visit from her lawyers they will give her the certificate. However whoever started this has gotten what they wanted. She might have a hard time finding a job.

In any case it's pretty stupid if you want to be a teacher to post a picture of yourself as a drunk on the web....especially if you have enemies.
    from your first post... :
    I just read a story about a girl who was going to school to be a teacher.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Employers browse for the personal webpages of potentional hires. It's a bad idea to use your real name ON ANY website, unless you are running a commercial business.

Quote Originally Posted by norther practitioner View Post

from your first post... :

Quote:
    I just read a story about a girl who was going to school to be a teacher.
    And how does that change what I said? As far as I know if you are going to school to be a teacher that does not make you one.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Employers browse for the personal webpages of potentional hires. It's a bad idea to use your real name ON ANY website, unless you are running a commercial business.
    Even on an anonymous BB it's probably not a good idea to say things that could harm your professional life.

someone i work with was recently emailed by someone saying to give them money or they would beat them up and hurt their family and stuff and they knew all kinds of personal information about the person. so naturally she was really scared and assumed the person sending the email actually knew who she was. so the cops were called and the fbi apparently has been investigating these kinds of threats to people. as it turns out these emails are becoming more common and the people that are sending them out are getting the personal info from sites like myspace. so when they threaten you it seems like they actually know stuff about you and your family. crazy. anyway, yeah watch what you post.

see MK myspace isn't just for meeting trannys.

Either way, no matter what, it is extremely prudent to be mindful of what is posted about oneself, pix, txt or bio (even if only for nothing but the politico of beauracracy {which of course is bullsh!te})
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

cjurakpt Guest
    it's such total BS, and indicative of the sort of PC overeactionary cr@p we see everywhere these day; how exactly did they arrive at the conclusion that it was promoting underage drinking?!? and as for not being professional, well, at the time it was taken, she was technically not a professional, and until she secured a job, she still wouldn't be one;
    the easy, STUPID, answer is for the Dean to approach her and say, "hey, this came to my attention - I strongly suggest you remove it prior to applying for a job anywhere, because it may be harmful to your prospects", and let it go at that - I mean, give the gal a break - the picture didn't even show her sloppy drunk, and obviously the caption was meant as parody

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/155...501/id_0.jhtml

I would have sued them for waaay more than $75K...
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 05-07-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Actually, the pic doesn't really show what level of intoxication, if any. Just that she was drinking from a cup that had promo's for a CANDY BAR on it, and that she wore a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post

LOL if you have enemies?

so teachers shouldn't have social lives now?

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    LOL if you have enemies?

so teachers shouldn't have social lives now?

Not that they shouldn't have social lives, but they, by standards, are (or should be) held to a higher level of propriety, as are politicians and public officials.

ANY difference of opinion or bad mark on their record and their values are questioned, and/or (as in this case) cause for termination.

...just playing devil's advocate here, not agreeing with the decision at all...
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel