Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
I am surprised by the interest in MMA. Whats going to be nexted? Training to be gladiators in Coliseums? fighting against Lions? Where is the Art? Kung Fu is not just about Killing, it's a civilised endeavour. When you spar with someone, you quickly realised how good you are against your opponent, why need to draw blood and bring it to the floor? You are bringing MA back hundreds of years back to the old cavemen times.
What you consider art is individual, dude. fighting IS art. I always use my buddy and I as an example. We have had all of the same teachers except for one, since 1996 (we had different teachers as kids before we knew eachother, but since we didn't know eachother then, I don't count it.) We are the same age, same height and similar weight. Yet, we fight COMPLETELY different. Why? We express ourselves differently using the same techniques of the arts we have trained. That expression, that individuality IS art. A spinning back kick KO, a perfectly executed uchi mata - it's all art, probably moreso than forms, because forms are set - there is not as much room for self expression.