Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The downfall of Traditional Gung Fu

Size doesn’t influence applications, skill does.
    Not true. There are numerous throws, locks and traps that require major modifications if there's a big size difference. Not to mention that everyone's height:reach ratio is deifferent, so a combo that works like a dream for you may not be so good for me.
    I've always felt that the problem with a lot of TCMA schools is they treat their art like a history lesson, rather than a fighting art. Forms aren't the least important thing at my club, but they're not the most important either. I think and talk a lot about training matrices, with forms,drills,basics,sensitivity,pads and sparring all having a valuable place in the matrix. The key is to get the balance right.
    The thing I never get is how come it was the MMA people who developed the perfect Kung Fu sparring glove?
    Why do Kung Fu people feel defensive about MMA? Might have a little something to do with the inflammatory self promoting of Rorion Gracie
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    eddie,

ben's got it right. n as i said, size will have a great part to play when it comes to usage. personally since i'm kinda big for a short guy i like to and know how to use my body weight. since my students are not built like me i have to show them the same stuff modified to work for them.

one is skinny so i focus on speed, power comes with speed so only have one thing to focus on......fu pow has different attributes than your average guy so his training should have been for him and not generalized.

height, weight, reach, level of aggression and so forth all come into play when training. i consider all that. because as people we are not the same.

to answer ben's question as a tcma..........i'm not worried about mma. im worried about people believing tcma is becoming outdated.......and mma is the only way to go.........
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

On Tcma

I never worry about the rise of different spectator sports. TCMA was not for mass production. If people go for mma -I say-let them.

joy chaudhuri

Blog Entries
    well, the one thing i don't have to worry about is if mma exploded even more,,,i wouldn't have to close down my school cuz of no students.

my whole point was I hope tcma doesn't get blinded by all the glitz and glamour of mma and become discouraged against learning tcma.

as long as tcma steps up their game and stop riding the coattails of yesteryear.....then tcma will be back on the rise.

hell, in mma i can tell who has ma background and who just started learning mma to get into the sport. in the ufc there are some horrible strikers, but the ones who are pretty good usually have some form of tma training.

anyone agree?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    We are talking about the survival of Kung Fu as fighting arts.
    same thing applies. you have people teaching that have never been in a fight in their adult lives. but many of these same people are teaching fighting skills. since many people do not test themselves, they are training under the assumption that they are learning how to fight.

No fair! Using deleted posts in your argument!
    Anyway, I deleted that post and made a much larger one that addresses that issue, albeit, without the Fu Jow example. Anyway, to elaborate on my point I’ll use Wong Fei Hung-Hung Gar as an example. Wong Fei Hung-Hung Gar is built upon the four pillar sets and related conditioning. Sei Ping Ma, Iron Rings, Sam Sing drills, and Iron Hand are all found in the Wong Fei Hung-Hung Gar curriculum. The style’s internal-work is highlighted in the Tid Sin Kuen set. It’s a high level set that requires a solid foundation in the style to learn. The other three pillar sets are Gung Jee Fuk Fu Kuen, Sup Ying Kuen (or Ng Ying Kuen for some lineages), and the Fu Hok Seung Kuen. Depending on the lineage, other sets may be present. But the sets I mentioned are called the four pillars. There are similarities between Wong Fei Hung-Hung Gar and other Southern styles. That’s because of historical relationships. But I think you can plainly see that Wong Fei Hung-Hung Gar is not similar to MMA. All you have to do is watch the sets I mentioned. I mentioned Fu Jow in my deleted post. But that’s just one technique. I don’t see MMA guys using the Ten Killing Hands. That’s because it’s not in the style of MMA. If you look at the training methods, techniques and concepts of Wong Fei Hung-Hung Gar, it is very different from MMA.
    mma has techniques cma doesn't have as well. but watch them fight and what do you see?

I mentioned BJJ as the exception I've seen.
    I would add wrestling and mt to that list.

The difference is that MMA fights are all over TV.
    the difference is that there aren't as many cma competing.

I have seen videos of modern Muay Thai guys using banana trees. I can’t say if it’s common though. Anyway, about heavy bags, the bottom is hard. Heavy bags are usually hung from the ceiling. I don’t see how a heavy bag (even the bottom) can condition as well as something like a banana tree. Especially since banana trees are rooted in the ground. I would find that a more stable target if my purpose was to condition my shins. I also remember reading that some Muay Thai guys used to condition their forearms with pipes. I don’t see MMA guys doing that!
    bananna bags are like six feet tall. you can rest the bottom of it in a tire and it is plenty stable for conditioning. repeated striking causes the filling to settle at the bottom. when this happens, you turn the bag upside down. look at any footage of a camp and you will see loads of heavy bags, not trees. from what I have seen and heard, kicking trees would be in the vast minority.

That may be the case. But they are still sport arts. If you look at styles like Bak Mei, Hung Gar, or Choy Lay Fut, they are designed to kill and cripple your opponent. They are a response to a violent environment. Although you don’t have to use them for that, that’s what they were designed and used for. A good practitioner should know how to use them to that end if he needs to.
    it was not a sport at that time. however, this is where the too deadly thing tends to come in...

It’s only natural for resentment to be met with resentment. But take a look at how I said traditionalists should deal with the growth of MMA.
    resentment from whom? mma didn't start it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    well, the one thing i don't have to worry about is if mma exploded even more,,,i wouldn't have to close down my school cuz of no students.

my whole point was I hope tcma doesn't get blinded by all the glitz and glamour of mma and become discouraged against learning tcma.

as long as tcma steps up their game and stop riding the coattails of yesteryear.....then tcma will be back on the rise.

hell, in mma i can tell who has ma background and who just started learning mma to get into the sport. in the ufc there are some horrible strikers, but the ones who are pretty good usually have some form of tma training.

anyone agree?
    I don't think it's that. the sloppy strikers just don't have a striking background. they are bjj guys, wrestlers, etc. the good strikers have a striking background in SOMETHING, be it thai, boxing or tma. most of the guys who did do tma tho - liddel, louisseau, st pierre, etc. abandoned it for muay thai at some point.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Blog Entries
    I agree with what's been stated by Sevenstar and others.

MMA is a methodology rather than a style. You could throw together any combination of arts/techniques and come up with a "mixed" martial art. However, I think that it would have to cover stand up, clinch and ground fighting.

Most traditional styles incorporate stand up and clinch. Most CMA styles historically don't have much in the way of ground fighting so you'd have to incorporate it from another source, like BJJ, Di Tang or wrestling.

Then its just a matter of creating some sort of competition to test skills, that incorporates all the ranges of fighting....BAM....you got MMA from traditional.

Its that last part thats the hardest to swallow for traditional martial arts teachers. That means that teachers are going to have to get in with their students and demonstrate skills, which is a scary proposition....they might lose!!!

(As a side note: I think that for any MMA competition that there should be a time limit for getting a tapout on the ground. MMA should mimick as much as possible realistic situations. Rolling on the ground for 1/2 hour is not realistic, if you value your teeth.)

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 05-09-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    same thing applies. you have people teaching that have never been in a fight in their adult lives. but many of these same people are teaching fighting skills. since many people do not test themselves, they are training under the assumption that they are learning how to fight.
    There are also plenty of sifus out there that do know how to use their Kung Fu. Plenty of sifus have sparred and have students that spar. And there are sifus around that have experienced street fighting.
    mma has techniques cma doesn't have as well. but watch them fight and what do you see?
    The striking that I see from most MMA isn’t that great. It’s also usually limited to a few basic punches and kicks. However, some are excellent grapplers. That’s what I see.
    I would add wrestling and mt to that list.
    I’ll add wrestling. But I’d have to see MMA guys going through all the conditioning that Muay Thai guys do in order to add it to the list. Also, I don't generally see the kind of quality striking in MMA as I do in Muay Thai.
    the difference is that there aren't as many cma competing.
    Perhaps not in MMA formats. But there are venues like San Shou and Lei-Tai that TCMA compete in.
    bananna bags are like six feet tall. you can rest the bottom of it in a tire and it is plenty stable for conditioning. repeated striking causes the filling to settle at the bottom. when this happens, you turn the bag upside down. look at any footage of a camp and you will see loads of heavy bags, not trees. from what I have seen and heard, kicking trees would be in the vast minority.
    Wouldn’t you want to keep the filling to continue moving to the bottom so that the striking surface gets gradually harder? Do you think that banana trees afford more or different benefits then banana bags? I know that a lot of FMA still use them. And what about the pipes I mentioned?
    it was not a sport at that time. however, this is where the too deadly thing tends to come in...
    Despite the fact that both arts have been used for other purposes, if I'm not mistaken, Muay Thai as a sport is ancient and Judo has been a sport since its inception. And what do you mean “too deadly”? It’s well known that the styles I mentioned were designed to kill and cripple.
    resentment from whom? mma didn't start it.
    How can you be sure of that?
    Last edited by The Xia; 05-09-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    Not true. There are numerous throws, locks and traps that require major modifications if there's a big size difference. Not to mention that everyone's height:reach ratio is deifferent, so a combo that works like a dream for you may not be so good for me.
    Nope, Im right. There are girls in our school who can execute proper throws on larger guys by only using correct technique. I have also been on the receiving end of locks and throws done by two different Chinese masters. I once had to be the fall guy for Master Wong Guan Quan at a demo done for the SA Police. He showed some chin na and throws that comes from Taiji and shaolin martial arts. Master Wong weighs about 50 kilos and is probably half my height. He managed to throw me around like a rag doll. Even more recently, past Monday night I had the (mis)Fortune to be on the receiving end of some chin na applications demonstrated by Sifu Chow Keung.

I can honestly assure you size is less important, and proper executing of technique is the key to successful application.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

I'm not saying that if you're small then you can't do applications, I'm saying that if there is a significant size difference then the way the technique is applied will by necessity be different. Instead of pushing up you'll push forwards, instead of going over the arm you'll go under or across it. If you're much shorter than me, say like Frank, your Poon Kiu will have more lateral movement and less vertical movement than mine, but it'll still be Poon Kiu, and it'll still be correct.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

hence my comment about skill.
    得 心 應 手

Blog Entries
    of course things like throws and such anyone can execute if done correctly.

but check this out eddie......once in a tournament fight i fought in the heavyweight division but since i'm vertically challenged and heavy set at that everyone i fought was way taller........one guy i literally had to jump to hit him in the head with a sow choy.......however all my life i've done and got pretty good with sow choys....but because of this guys height i had to changed up how i did my sow choy on him..

maybe the subtle changes are just that for you tooooo subtle......thats okay tho.

but eddie, try not to be sooooo closed minded.....it's not allowing you to see from different perspectives. just a thought

not being closed minded at all. if anything ...

I once had a sparring partner who was much shorter than me. He wasnt limited in application at all.

All im saying is, that I dont think its fair to use that as an excuse. I would want to use the excuse that im twice the size of ... say CLFNole ... thats why I cant be as fast as him? Or my stances wouldnt be as solid as his' just because im three times heavier?

Is that not just making excuses?
    得 心 應 手

Blog Entries
    Never Said "limited" When It Comes To Usage.......only Modification Is What I Meant. Because Of Many Different Reasons, We As Teachers Have To Modify Our Stuff To Make It Work For An Individual.

Remember, Gungfu Or Ma Period Is Not A Group Endeavor.......it's Always Been Individualistic And Specific. Things Have To Change From Person To Person Or Our Gung Fu Would Never Work.

But Eddie, You're Missing The Point........there Are Many Things In Gung Fu That You Have To Modify......adapt.......change If You Will To Make It Work For You. If People Were To Only Use Their Gung Fu As It Is In Forms, Then It Would Never Work At All.

If I Execute A Cross Over Sweep Into A Fu Jow And The Fu Jow Is Supposed To Be At Your Own Face Level, But Your Face Is 2 Feet Above Mine, Then The Way I've Been Practicing My Fu Jow Is Wrong. But If I'm Going To Make If Work For Me, I Have To Be Open Minded Enough To Change The Perameters Of How Our Clf Is Going To Be Used To Make It Work For Me.

A Person 5 Ft Tall Isn't Going To Be Able To Throw A Sow Choy AS EASY AS Against A 6'5" Person. It Just Aint Going To Happen Unless You Do Something To Modify It. If Gung Fu Never Gets Modified For The Individual Then That Individual Is Practicing For Nothing. Just Forms Like A Robot.

But A Smart Martial Artist Will Take What He Has From The Forms And Change It....adapt It......modify It To Make It Work For Him. That Is What We Were Talking About.

Blog Entries
    Adaptation Is One Major Key.

See, Im More Closer To The Ground Than Say Someone Over 6 Feet. My Center Of Gravity Is Going To Be Different Than His.

If You Were The 6 Foot Guy......fighting A 5'7" Guy Like Me You Are Going To Have To Change Your Gameplan Or I May Get The Best Of You.......

The Tall Guy Has To Adapt To Fight The Shorter......vice Versa..........but If You Train To Fight Guys 6 Feet Or Over......than Its My Opinion The Little Guys Are Going To Have The Advantage.........he Won't Change How He Does Things But I Will........especially When Fighting Someone Taller, With Longer Legs And Reach.......all This Comes Into Mind.

But If You Don't See The Point Thats Cool Eddie.