Thread: Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack

Whatever Happened to Samurai Jack? I remember Cartoon Network put out a few movies after the last episode, but . . . nothing new. Gar. I loved that show.

Also, Dexter's Lab and Courage the Cowardly Dog - The Bombs Diggatty.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Genndy Tartakovsky (show's creator) put it on hold to do the Clone Wars cartoons, and then there was some rumblings about a movie, but who knows now that Mako's dead. Can't have Jack without Aku.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Samurai Jack?

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    In the vernacular of the new generation of forum users . . .

pwnt.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

This could be interesting

Read our latest ezine article: Immortals: Myth the MMA way by Patrick Lugo

What 'Immortals' Director Tarsem Singh Really Wants to Do: Direct a 'Samurai Jack' Movie
    Singh revealed his secret wish to THR at the film's Hollywood premiere on Monday, Nov. 7.
    10:18 AM PST 11/11/2011 by Borys Kit

Tarsem Singh is the director behind Relativity’s new Greek god epic Immortals and next year's Lily Collins-Julia Roberts Snow White movie, Mirror, Mirror. What will he do next? At the Monday premiere of Immortals, Singh revealed his secret wish: to helm a live-action version of Samurai Jack.

Jack was an edgy and hyperactive animated show created by Genndy Tartakovsky that ran for three seasons on the Cartoon Network starting in 2001. It centered on a warrior from feudal Japan banished into the future by a shape-changing demon, with the warrior battling aliens and robots as he tries to find a way back. The show was known for its varied art styles, the use of split screens and multi-angles, and for long sequences that were dialogue free, all of which contributed to it winning four Emmys.

Singh told The Hollywood Reporter he has little interest in comic book movies but “I love Samurai Jack. I would love to direct that.” He said it’s the epic style, pace and art that he admires.

“It’s brilliant. The speed, it embraces where it comes from. I find that comic strip films are halfway grounded. They don’t play my chord. But I love Samurai Jack. I love the animation," he said.

A live-action version of Jack was actually set up at New Line in the early 2000s, with man-in-the-news Brett Ratner attached to direct and produce, but the rights have since reverted back to Cartoon Network.

“Have them contact me,” Singh said. You hear that, CN execs?

For his follow-up to Mirror, Mirror, however, Singh will probably to do a movie that rejects the visually intense nature of the films that so far have made his reputation.

“I want to do a talking-head movie like My Dinner with Andre or like an early (Roman) Polanski like Knife in the Water. I want to go there because now all everyone wants to think is that I want to do visual films," he explained

One reason he took on the Snow White movie was that it was a family adventure, a departure from the blood-spslattered and hard-R nature of Immortals. “Now the next thing to do is a movie that doesn’t have the spectacular in it,” he said, even though he thinks switching genres will only lead to a pay cut.

“When you do something that they think is in your style, people will write a big check for you, and if it’s not your style, they’ll go, ‘Oh, no, he might sink us’ and cut your rate. But if you don’t change it up early in your career and force people to redefine how they see you, when will you?”

Email: Borys.Kit@thr.com
    Twitter: @Borys_Kit
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jack is back in 2016

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's 2016

Jack is BACK!

First Samurai Jack Promotional Art Released
    Russ Burlingame- 06/15/20162

The first promo art from Genndy Tartakovsky's new Samurai Jack revival debuted at the Annecy Festival D'Animation in France.

You can check it out below, via Cartoon Brew's Instagram account.

cartoonbrew Festival international du film d'animation d'Annecy
    Follow
    First promo art from Genndy Tartakovsky's new "Samurai Jack" debuted at #annecyfestival
    4,141 likes
    1w
    cartoonbrewFirst promo art from Genndy Tartakovsky's new "Samurai Jack" debuted at #annecyfestival
    The show will return later this year during Adult Swim's Toonami block and is currently in production in Los Angeles.

The four-time Primetime Emmy Award winning series that has its roots in the early 2000's is back! Samurai Jack, created by Genndy Tartakovsky follows Jack, a samurai who travelled through time with the quest to head back to where he came from and defeat the demon Aku.

The show ended in 2004 but not before cultivating a die hard fanbase that has been clamoring for it's return for just over 10 years. Fans looking for their Jack fix got a small taste in comic form, thanks to IDW. The character also took part in the Super Secret Crisis War from writer Louise Simonson.

"I feel like it's culminating to a fever pitch almost." said Tartakovsky in a previous interview with ComicBook.com. "I feel like it's time to maybe finish the story. We've been trying to get the feature off the ground but maybe that's just fate's way of saying this is a television thing and maybe it should be a mini-series or something like that."

One interesting element of the image above is the presence of blood - as Jack usually just fought robots and such in his cult favorite Cartoon Network series.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Samurai Jack Season 5 Trailer | Samurai Jack | Adult Swim

Jack's Back - March 11, 2017

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

finale

JUNE 06, 2017 4:31pm PT by THR Staff
    Phil LaMarr on 'Samurai Jack': "I Consider It a Work of Art"

Getty Images
    Phil LaMarr

"There was a need for this comeback. I mean, it's in the theme song: 'Gotta get back.'"

Phil LaMarr is having a very busy 2017.

In addition to wrapping up the final season of Samurai Jack, the fan-favorite animated epic 16 years in the making, the prolific voice actor also turned in a starring role as Aquaman and Green Lantern in the best-selling DC fighting game Injustice 2. If that weren't enough, LaMarr is also set to voice-star in Tyler, the Creator's upcoming Adult Swim animated comedy The Jellies.

LaMarr, in a recent interview on the Namek vs. Saiyan podcast, hosted by The Hollywood Reporter's Patrick Shanley, opened up about his many roles and ruminated on the emotional finale to Samurai Jack, which returned to Adult Swim this year after a 13-year hiatus.

"It’s lovely to come back and work with your friends again, but there was something really special about this show," LaMarr said of the return. "For me, even originally, it was a show that I loved. I consider it a work of art. There was a need for this comeback. I mean, it’s in the theme song: ‘Gotta get back.’ [Samurai Jack creator] Genndy Tartakovsky and I had been talking on and off for nearly a decade about finishing, because it needed an ending."

As for the ending itself, LaMarr believes it speaks for itself and fans need to accept Tartakovsky's vision. "Last time I checked, you didn’t write it or create or draw it, so I don’t know why it would be exactly what you wanted," he said of critics of the finale's bittersweet conclusion. "It’s what Genndy wanted. You wouldn't say, 'I think the Mona Lisa would be better if she just smiled. Come on, Da Vinci, lighten up. Go in and redo it.'"

As for his work on Injustice 2, the actor credits his past efforts on the animated series Young Justice for landing him the role. "I think the reason they used me on Injustice was because their concept for Aquaman was pretty similar to the Young Justice Aquaman — the regal, 'I am the king of the seven seas,'" LaMarr said. "He’s really, almost, a less schmucky Namor."

Due to the current video game actors strike, however, LaMarr was worried about his work in the game reaching fans. "Thankfully, we’d done all the Injustice work before we went on strike. I wasn’t sure when the game came out if I would be in it," he said. "I’m a DC comics guy from way back, so these characters are very dear to me. Plus, as a performer, I’ve been in this world since 2000. I love this work. It’s a real bummer to think that until we get this settled, I won’t be able to play these guys anymore."

The current strike is ongoing.
    I didn't really follow Samurai Jack and I have yet to watch anything from the new season. This has me very intrigued. Did anyone tune in?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

4 Emmys

Congrats to Samurai Jack!

Emmys: '13th,' 'Samurai Jack' Among Juried Winners
    11:47 AM PDT 9/7/2017 by Kimberly Nordyke

Courtesy of Netflix
    '13th'

The TV Academy announced the winners in the categories of animation, motion design and interactive programming.
    13th, Samurai Jack and Wander Over Yonder have been named the winners of various juried awards for this year's Emmys.

The Television Academy on Thursday announced the juried award winners in the categories of animation, motion design and interactive programming. These will be presented at the Creative Arts Awards ceremony on Saturday.

This year's juried winners are:

Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation

Samurai Jack • XCIII • Adult Swim • Cartoon Network Studios
    Bryan Andrews, Storyboard Artist

Samurai Jack • XCIII • Adult Swim • Cartoon Network Studios
    Scott Wills, Production Designer

Samurai Jack • XCII • Adult Swim • Cartoon Network Studios
    Craig Kellman, Character Designer

Samurai Jack • XCV • Adult Swim • Cartoon Network Studios
    Lou Romano, Background Designer

Wander Over Yonder • The End Of The Galaxy • Disney XD • Disney Television Animation
    Justin Nichols, Character Animator

Outstanding Motion Design

Beyond Magic • ABC • Buck
    Orion Tait, Executive Creative Director
    Thomas Schmid, Creative Director
    Daniel Oeffinger, Creative Director
    William Trebutien, Lead Animator

13th • Netflix • Forward Movement LLC and Kandoo Films
    Angus Wall, Co-Creative Director
    Leanne Dare, Co-Creative Director
    Lynn Cho, Designer
    Dan Meehan, Animator
    Ekin Akalin, Animator

Outstanding Innovation in Interactive Programming

PEARL
    Patrick Osborne, Director
    David Eisenmann, Producer
    Karen Dufilho, Executive Producer
    Google Spotlight Stories
    Evil Eye Pictures

Juried categories require all entrants to be screened by a panel of professionals in the appropriate peer group with the possibility of one, more than one, or no entry being awarded an Emmy. There are no nominees. Only those with unanimous approval of the jury are chosen as winners.

The 2017 Creative Arts Emmy Awards, executive produced by Bob Bain, will be held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles beginning at 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. FXX will broadcast the awards on at 8 p.m. Sept. 16.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips