Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest days

Talking Rest days

How do you guys like to do your rest days? What do you think are great ways to optimize a rest day? If you dont beleive in them, comment on that too. I feel like im falling behind because i have so much to practice. But im sore/fatigue lately (i stepped up my trainning)

What's a rest day? Saturday is the only day I don't have a structured training session, but I usually end up doing a fair amount of stuff anyway.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

well toby, guess nobody else rests either

Never train hard more than 2 days in a row without rest, unless you have a realy good training wine, then you can go 3.

On your rest and recovery day, lay around a lot, and eat a lot of meat.

I like to invite pretty women over to massage me from head to toe as well.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

the amount of rest depends on the type of training. When I did powerlifting I would lift three days a week and the other days do light cardio and stretching. Now I've been doing grappling and cardio and high rep bodyweight stuff (no time or money for weights gym) and I generally take one full rest day, and also maybe one light workout day.

On a rest day I

Rest, drink plenty of water, consume plenty of antioxidants, try not to be too stressed, try some deep breathing, massage from the wife, etc.
    Bless you

yea getting a massage is one of my favorite ways to recover.....even if i haven't been trainning. =)

I like your idea royal dragon, im going to try that for sure, in the very near future. Any reccomended "trainning wines" and what is that anyway? Jow? Also how often do u reccomend using each?

Side note:

I was thinking, tell me if you've thought about this....Since i train pretty regularly (atleast 4 class days and i usually train a bit outside of class (not as much as i'd like to lately)....im usually (not sore) but 'weakened'...recovering....not 100%...so that if i DID get in a fight, i wouldn't be as strong as if i had 2-3 days of rest. (like i feel before i goto class for example)......so i basically feel....im going to train so much and for so long (like in years, meaning) that even while im not at 100% and am still recovering i can beat the average guy anyway (or better). So, Since im like "man, im so beat, i hope i dont get into a fight"....maybe thats why "good" martial artists (the ones who train hard) are so humble and peaceful

A training wine is like a tonic to help boost your workout. It also speeds recovery, and helps your body develop faster in a shorter period of time.

You basically saok the herbs in rice wine for a few months, and then take a shot about an hour before you train.

The training wine for my system is used only once every 3 days. It is very strong, and you really can't use it more than that.

When I have some made up, I will use it on the first day, and make that my hardest workout. The next day is a bit easier, and the 3rd day is my easiest workout. Then I take a day or two off, and start again.

When I am not useing it, I workout a day, rest a day etc...

Oriental Herb company has some good general training wines and Liqeures. Just Google thier name.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 05-11-2007 at 07:27 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post

I like to invite pretty women over to massage me from head to toe as well.
    Any ever show?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Any ever show?
    Nice!

You should stretch every day, even on your off days.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Any ever show?
    Useually they do, But I have to promis to give them some in exchange for the massage.

For the Women:

+ = & a

You should stretch every day, even on your off days.

Reply]
    Wrong. Stretching taxes the muscles too. They need rest. You should stretch after you have trained untill you are really warm. This is when you can increase your range of motion. Stretching before you are really warm does little to make you more flexible and is onle a pre workout for injury prevention thing.

Either way, stretching taxes the muscles just as much as lifting weights does, so you need recovery time as well.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Well I guess you guys are just too hard core for me.

I've never trained MA so hard I've needed rest days. I've done it with weight lifting programs. This one time in the Marine Corps I over trained my pull ups until I couldn't do any, and failed a Physical fitness test.

Are you guys doing alot of strength building exercies or what? I get plenty of cardio, but I mostly work skills and techniques. I've also been avoiding my static stance training.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Well, if i dont take a rest day i can only train half-a$$ so i try to take rest days regularly so i can put my all into it. I mostly train skills/techniques too. Mostly it'll be my arms sore from punching (especially from bagwork) or just if i feel like throwing tons of air punches, or if i grapple. Or my legs will be sore if i work kicks or stances alot....also i do aikido so getting thrown and standing back up a bunch of times is kind of a workout too.

Dunno if I "get" the concept of rest days. I usually reley on my Sifu or Wosu to let me know if they think I'm over training. I have no clue how they know it, but if I *actually* listen to them, I avoid the fatigue that goes hand-in-hand with over training.

Right now, I only strength train Monday (core/total body), Wednesday (lower) and Friday (upper). I do tai chi or yoga every day and try to run every day, but those are what I think of as my base line - they don't count as "working out" just as walking the dogs or mowing the grass doesn't. I work my kung fu on Tuesday and Tursday as much as possible, though it is brocken up into fits and spurts; 5 minutes here, a few runs through a form there.

More often than not, I will also run through my non-caricular forms on Sunday. I guess that means Saturday is my "rest day"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

mowing the grass and walking the dogs is recovery

actually id put yoga in as recovery too, but then again there might be some yoga thats more hardcore than what im imagining.
    where's my beer?