Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the most effective way of developing the Tonic Muscles (stabilisers)?

Question Whats the most effective way of developing the Tonic Muscles (stabilisers)?

The subject says it all. Share the fruits of your training please.

Every range, from every angle.

IE> Diamond pushups, squat w/ legs together, reverse crunches (leg lifts). The same goes for weights, but I'd be more carefull with changing range and angles with those if you're not pretty knowledgeable about 'em.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Well there are a wide variety for my legs i do stance traing on air cushins like the ones you find at gyms an it def helps build up endurance an stabilty whilst adding a extra dimension.Doing some activtys with eyes closed say kicking helps improve balance and also makes the muscles stabilise. The best way I can describe is to do exercises with unstable either foundations of weights an makes the situation more unstable an a bit less ridged (excuse spelling). Rock climbing is a good one for shoulders pherhaps if you consult your physio they pherhaps could enlighten you further hope ive been some help.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

Full body, dynamic lifts: Deadlifts, Rows, Power Cleans, Squats (and variations), Overhead squat, overhead press, bench press.

Always use freeweights and not machines. Machines limit the range of motion and don't recruit as many stabalizers.
    Bless you

steroids LOL

jk
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Greetings,

Crosshandz, there are three, well established, disciplines (outside of the martial disciplines) that train the stabilizers:

1- Yoga

2- Ballet

3- Gymnastics

Emerging Disciplines:

Kettle Bell (one may argue that this is a re-emerging discipline)

Emerging Concepts:

Core training: This appears to have been pioneered by Paul Chek that works the core (back and abdominals) and develops it into a stabilization tool for movement.

The simple approach:

Take a look at what your performance level is and strengthen all aspects of it.

One component they all share:

They all require consistent practice.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 05-11-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Mini Tramp single leg stance with eyes closed NONE BETTER KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

What are "tonic muscles?"
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

if i understand what your shootin for id definately say the oly lifts.
    where's my beer?

powerlifting of course, but other ways

Pilates, Grappling, Yoga (as mentioned before), Acrobatic stuff, Copeira (sp?),
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    What are "tonic muscles?"
    Nobody's answering you Iron. Let me have a go: they're the new black in exercise... a couple of years ago people would have been talking about training tendons or upper or lower or left or right abs, or lower biceps etc, but now we are all talking about training the stabilizers... the small connective muscles, between the er... you know. Those. And they are called tonic muscles because they... tone your er, other muscles.

Got it?!

OK, frankly, I'm not sure. I'm wavering between thinking it's a load of old c0ck and it being just common sense like, maybe, this:

My answer: I would have thought you would train them by training your 'normal' big muscles carefully, starting with light weights to make sure you're not straining any connective tissue, and concentrating esp on exercises that you can superset which work things like the rotator cuffs. In short, lift big, but work up from small - don't overdo it.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Mine core has gotten much better since I started working "oly lifts". (though using very light weights as I don't want to hurt myself) The better I get at lifting, the more weight I add. the more I add the better stronger my back and abs are durring group calistenics. The better my callistenics, the ****her I can get into group class without being muscularly exhosted...

Yoga has help alot with stability in awkward (sp?) poses that you get in some TCMA animal forms. I used to sometimes have my feet slip out from under me if I didn't land just right from jumps into a low lunge stance, for instance. Now I can catch myself so even a bad landing is a stable one.

And one of my favorites is swiss ball training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Greetings,

Crosshandz, you might be interested in this:

http://www.bodyblade.com/

mickey

cjurakpt Guest
    functional stabilization trains your ability to utilize muscle contractions efficiently to maintain the center of gravity within the base of support, to react quickly and not to overcorrect, because the closer you are to the ege of your COG, the more correction you need to get back, but have a worse lever arm to do it (needing more strenght and having to overcome a greater degree of inertia) and the more likely you will have innacurate (over) correction when doing so (possibly due in somepart to the fact that the vestibular system and the proprioceptive system can have conflicting information going to the overall postural response, because they process info at different speeds; but anyway...)

so it doesn't seem that you are necesarily concerned re: small versus large muscles, but instead are concerned with eccentric function of anti-gravity extensors (anterior tibs, quads, glutes, abs, lower traps and sub-capital felxors) in relation to their individual force couples (agonist / antagonist) and also how they relate throughout the entire kinetic chain; true, you want to have cervical flexion coming from short neck flexors versus long ones (SCM, scalenes), but you need good glutes to have aproper postural response, and you also need a robust set of muscularture around the ankles, including anterior tibialis (from), posterior tibeialis (inside), peroneals (outside) and gastroc / soleus (rear);

training functional stabilization is best done under circumstances where you have to balance dynamically while performing functional tasks - hence the whole trend of doing plyometric type work while standing on an unstable surface; but you can also get this effect other ways, such as by running on uneven terrain, working against active resistance of a partner, etc.

postural re-ed methods such as yoga and Alexander or Feldenkreis are good because they retrain the proprioceptors to give you more accurate information, probably by resetting the muscle spindle threshold (Myotactic Reflex Arc) so that the muscle fires when appropriate rather than too early because the MRA is hypersensitive to any sort of movement or too lae because the muscle is held in a state of hronic low grade contraction; it also clears out local tissue congestion, which increases the ability of the muscle spindle to accurrately sense velocity dependent length tension changes, and thus have a muscle fire appropriately

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    word...next question?

not completely on topic but...

I've just changed the pushup routine in my kids class. Only 2 of the kids can do a proper push up...it's a combination of lack of arm strength and an extreme lack of core strength (identified by all the butt's in the air). So, for a couple of weeks we have been having them do static holds at the top, middle and bottom of the pushup range but completely focusing on the correct body and head posture. I have them do 15 second holds at each level with 15 sec rests between...maybe not terribly scientific but they have gotten better at holding w/o shaking or falling down. Given that they are only in here twice a week we are going to do this the rest of the summer and then go back to trying actual push ups again.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"