Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the most effective way of developing the Tonic Muscles (stabilisers)?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    word...next question?

not completely on topic but...

I've just changed the pushup routine in my kids class. Only 2 of the kids can do a proper push up...it's a combination of lack of arm strength and an extreme lack of core strength (identified by all the butt's in the air). So, for a couple of weeks we have been having them do static holds at the top, middle and bottom of the pushup range but completely focusing on the correct body and head posture. I have them do 15 second holds at each level with 15 sec rests between...maybe not terribly scientific but they have gotten better at holding w/o shaking or falling down. Given that they are only in here twice a week we are going to do this the rest of the summer and then go back to trying actual push ups again.
    sounds good, add a minute or 30 second planks and some 6 inches or boat sits (if they play little league football they may be familiar already).
    Bless you

Don't know what most call these, we called 'em Hello Dolly's. They work the core very well.
    Starting on the back w/feet together -
    1) feet 6 inches off the ground
    2) spread feet apart as far as you can get them
    3) bring them back together.
    4) lower back to the ground.

To spice it up or add challenge, raise the head, don't lower feet all the way back to the floor, put hands on abdomin rather than the floor and have the kids "feel" what muscles are contracting. Lots of ways to stir it up and any kid can do them.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    sounds good, add a minute or 30 second planks and some 6 inches or boat sits (if they play little league football they may be familiar already).
    not these kids. I just discovered one today that can't do a full sit up...went to holding leg lift at 6" w/ head off ground...

what are you calling '6 inches' and 'boat sits'

I do a series of leg lift variations including just holding at 6" off the ground.

don't have any idea what a boat sit is though?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Six inches: holding the legs six inches off the ground (lying on back)

Boat sits: holding the legs and shoulders off the ground (basically lying on the lower back)

some people hold boat sits more upright, but I consider it more challanging to have the legs six inches and the shoulders maybe 3 or 4 inches off the ground (arms extended over head).

Start off with 15 seconds, go to 20, 30 etc. Build them up.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Six inches: holding the legs six inches off the ground (lying on back)

ok, the 'rest' position for leg lifts.

Boat sits: holding the legs and shoulders off the ground (basically lying on the lower back)

gotcha, what Fish at trainforstrength.com calls a 'v-up'

some people hold boat sits more upright, but I consider it more challanging to have the legs six inches and the shoulders maybe 3 or 4 inches off the ground (arms extended over head).

the arms above the head would definitely add tension.

Start off with 15 seconds, go to 20, 30 etc. Build them up.
    I've always done leg lifts with head off ground...my wrestling coach stepped on us if we put the head down.

yea, we're taking them slow. I've pretty much stopped our 'traditioinal' kung fu warm up with the kids...they just don't have the balance, coordination or strength. we've got them doing jj's, pushups, crunches and full sit ups, bodyweight squats, bootstrappers and lunges for warmup...just 25 jj's and 5-10 of the others.

kid's just don't play hard enough these days...I like the new campaign I've seen: "Play 1 hour every day" or something like that...can't remember who the cartoon character sponsering it is.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Wow! A kid who can't even one sit up? Most babies can do that by 6 months! Time to take away the play station, or rashion it out. Say 1 hour of playing hop-scotch for 1 hour of play station.

One I see my son's class doing is alagators. You know, drag youself down the room with your hands while pointing the toes strait back. Sifu has the kids stay on thier toes only, but you could probably work them up to that point.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

word...next question?

not completely on topic but...

I've just changed the pushup routine in my kids class. Only 2 of the kids can do a proper push up...it's a combination of lack of arm strength and an extreme lack of core strength (identified by all the butt's in the air). So, for a couple of weeks we have been having them do static holds at the top, middle and bottom of the pushup range but completely focusing on the correct body and head posture. I have them do 15 second holds at each level with 15 sec rests between...maybe not terribly scientific but they have gotten better at holding w/o shaking or falling down. Given that they are only in here twice a week we are going to do this the rest of the summer and then go back to trying actual push ups again.
    Planks are good precursers to learning full pushups. Start toes and forearms, then go to toes and arm extensions. Sounds like you are on your way. Try some side planks also, first forearms, then full arm extension.

What I learned a V-up is where you start in a boat sit position and then come up and touch your fingers to toes (legs extended of course).
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Wow! A kid who can't even one sit up? Most babies can do that by 6 months! Time to take away the play station, or rashion it out. Say 1 hour of playing hop-scotch for 1 hour of play station.

One I see my son's class doing is alagators. You know, drag youself down the room with your hands while pointing the toes strait back. Sifu has the kids stay on thier toes only, but you could probably work them up to that point.
    yep, just the one kid and he's got other issues. mostly, he just don't give a fvk. I know that sounds harsh but I've been working with this kid for 4 months now. He's bright, he's not dumb though I'm not sure he's smart...he just doesn't care. I've been able to get him fired up but if I'm not pushing him...he just don't care enough to do anything on his own.

yea, we do alagators in my grappling class...'cept I just call it 'cleaning the mats'

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Planks are good precursers to learning full pushups. Start toes and forearms, then go to toes and arm extensions. Sounds like you are on your way. Try some side planks also, first forearms, then full arm extension.
    yea, I occasionally do all that...one of my students does it all the time on her own...as far as the kids go...I've got them twice a week for 45 min each time...only so much I can do and still teach 'kung fu'

yea, we do alagators in my grappling class...'cept I just call it 'cleaning the mats'
    You gotta love those kinds of exersizes. They are anything but boring.

We call cleaning the floor where you drag whole body with the fore arms. Garter is where you drag yourself with the hands. And Sifu's requirement is that you do so in a full plank, supporting yourself on jut the top of the feet and hands. Add that with duck walk, bunny hop, ans walk throughs, you get a very intence, some what silly class.

Sifu starts pulling these out durring class time, we know we're in for sweeps in the next few classes.

In judo we call those mat drags, plus it simulates pulling a gi...
    Bless you

... The simulat all kinds of dragging, 'specially when the floor is dry and you are damp.

Becca, i misread you...our 'mat cleaning' is the same...I guess I'm not quite getting what you are calling alligators.

we'll do 'shrimping' drills and 'butt scoot' drills and 'sit out' drills in my grappling class.