Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Karate"? On ESPN2

"Karate"? On ESPN2

I was just flippin channel and I saw "Karate" advertise on ESPN. I flipped over there to check it out..........It was more a form of kick boxing.....very, very bad kick boxing. Something called K-1 Grand prix.

I watched two matches. The first featured this guy who weight 372 pounds. He came out throwing haymakers and after about 30 seconds he could barely stand up. The lighter guy was taking it to him. Then in the second round he stepped into on of those haymakers and the fight ended with the big guy frailing away on him. When the ref stepped in to stop it the 372 pound guy simply colapsed into the ropes. Although he won the big guy had to be carried from the ring. Later it was discovered he had broken his hand and could not continue.

His defeated opponent continued in his place. In the second round of a new match his opponent apparently took a swing and missed and separated his shoulder....

Anyway, I couldn't believe this was actually on ESPN. It was awful.

there are better k-1 fights
    look it up on youtube believe me

cung le fights in k-1 also
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

k1 has some of the most elite kickboxers in the world. Ernesto Hoost, Jerome Labanner, Crocop, Michael McDonald (not the singer), and many others.
    Bless you

Mark Hunt.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I was just flippin channel and I saw "Karate" advertise on ESPN. I flipped over there to check it out..........It was more a form of kick boxing.....very, very bad kick boxing. Something called K-1 Grand prix...
    Different events have different rule sets; it's all still K-1 because K-1 "owns" the event itself. They have San Da, Kick boxing, and Tai boxing formats. ESPN, being the d0rk they are, call it all "karate". Also keep in mind, they only show the last 3 rounds. As these are tury-style events, those fighters have actually gone as may as 8 times and are hurting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

What I saw were fighters who were not very good. They were fat, out of shape, didn't know how to kick or punch correctly and just had no business in the ring. They were even talking about another fighter who had eariler broken his leg when he kicked someone in the knee.........

I noticed this was in Japan. I don't think these fights would be sanctioned in the US. At least not in a state with a strict boxing commission.

By the way there is absolutely no way that guy who went 372 had been in earlier fights.

Well you could always get in the ring with fat boy and tell him how out of shape he is, didn't know how to kick or punch correctly and just had no business in the ring. I'm sure you'd have fun.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

From what I saw I would say the majority of fighters on this board could take any of those guys I saw.

If I was fighting that 372 pound guy all I'd have to do is just stay out of his way for a couple of rounds and by the third he wouldn't even be able to lift his arms.

Did you see the fights or fighters that I'm talking about?

From what I saw I would say the majority of fighters on this board could take any of those guys I saw.

If I was fighting that 372 pound guy all I'd have to do is just stay out of his way for a couple of rounds and by the third he wouldn't even be able to lift his arms.

I guarantee you no one on this board wants to fight K-1 rules against Bob Sapp, Ernesto Hoost, or Jerome LeBanner. The more delusional ones might think they do, but they don't.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Dude, the fight you are talking about is probably Bob Sapp vs Ernesto Hoost.

Incidentally it does go to show you that size matters....

K-1 is a Japanese promotion, and like Pride is known for pulling some fairly outrageous publicity stunts, with respect to fighting - Royce Gracie vs Akebono (retired Sumo Yokozuna), etc.

Sapp is a well-loved freak in Japan as much for his size as for his fighting. Nobody has ever suggested he's a bad-ass kickboxer, just that he's a big mofo.

Watch some of Remy Bonjasky's fights, some more of Hoost's fights or Jerome Lebanner, and I guarentee your tune will change.

Mark Hunt too, IMO. Not the most "technical" fighter in the world, but he's got a chin made of iron and a wicked set of hands.

CroCop is a certifiable, dangerous bad ass too.

Fracisco Fliho....ah the list goes on!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

What are you...in your teens or something??

Tell your mom to send you some money so you can buy a clue along with your textbooks dude.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9MtjfKlRHYE
    is that the fight you are talking about?

well its bob sapp.. what do you expect from him? Iron monkey Kung FU?
    you couldn't pay me enough money to fight Bob, or anyone in K-1.

are you nuts? they would kick the **** out of me,( and you and most of the people on this forum). wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    ...are you nuts? they would kick the **** out of me,( and you and most of the people on this forum). wake up.
    Assuming anyone on this forum made it through the prelims, the 3-5 matches just to get up to the "main event" turny rount.... all in 1 day, I might add. Neither was moving too swiftly, but I know I'd have been a puddle on the floor of the ambulance, so in perspective...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

you really have no clue how stupid that post was, do you?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    you really have no clue how stupid that post was, do you?
    to give the devil his due i do think that hoost should've done better against sapp.
    however, i am going to have to agree with you: that was a dumb post made by someone who's probably never had a real fight their entire life.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting