Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick Fighting

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Stick Fighting

to get it clear up front:

Stick Fighting (AMA): sparring done with short sticks allowing punching, kicking, joint locking, throwing and grappling.

basically, like the DB's but it will be a long time, if ever, that I let it go to full contact in my school...too much liability. But, I think it can be done w/ enough protective gear to go hard enough for it to be realistic training.

as students get better, mainly in being able to control the action so no major injuries are incured, we add staves, training knives and swords.

anyone else doing anything like this?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yes.

My group has faded, but for the last five or so years we have been sparring with 'practice' sticks (sch. 40 electrical pvc with pipe insulation foam and black tape ). Using street hockey helmets and hockey gloves, elbow and knee pads optional.

Very fun, very educational.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

did you not find that the sch 40 pvc would break?

we tried that at my old school a while back. a hard enough hit would shatter the pipe and leave a very sharp edge to it. rattan w/ the foam insulation works just as well and I've hypothisized that sch. 80 wouldn't shatter but is also denser and might be too heavy hitting for daily practice.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

man i wish i had a set place to do stuff like this.

a while back a had a group of guys who would get together with wooden weapons and spar around.

dao, jian, boken, spear, staff, naginata, tonfa, sai (metal) and some europian straight swords.

LOTS of fun.

actually a friend of mine and i (his designs) had started to produce a set of armor fassioned off of old Samurai designs, modified for modern use, and build out of recycled pickle barrels. heated with a heat gun, shaped and cooled. tied the plates together with parachute cord.

SUPER RAD STUFF. we ened up only busting out gauntlets and shoulder armor, we needed to redo the chest armor as we used kozain design and decided that sucked for blunt impact and changed our minds to plate.

The gauntlets turned out super sick though. done with plate, reinforced with 1 inch wide 1/4 in thick shaped metal bars. FULL RANGE OF MOTION!!

litterally you can take a base ball bat to the for arm with out any damage.

its been about a couple years. we both moved, he got a kid.........ya i wish we still had that stuff going, he wanted to actually get it really legit and start selling the armor because the stuff worked.

but while it was going we used to go at it pretty heavy. and i was sure glad when we got those gauntlets out....busted fingers suck.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    did you not find that the sch 40 pvc would break?

we tried that at my old school a while back. a hard enough hit would shatter the pipe and leave a very sharp edge to it. rattan w/ the foam insulation works just as well and I've hypothisized that sch. 80 wouldn't shatter but is also denser and might be too heavy hitting for daily practice.
    Occasionally, sch 40 would break, the pad and tape would prevent pieces from flying, and of course we would not continue to use them.

Being an electrician, scrap pieces come cheap so no big deal.

Sch. 80 is heavier to swing, for sure. The best medium I found for weight vs. strength is the orange plastic fire rated sprinkler pipe. Harder to come by, but stronger and lighter than sch 40. The sticks I made with that pipe have lasted me three years and running.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

ya, i've been a plumber and maintenance tech for a long time now...never pay for pvc...or duct tape, or elec tape

i'd say the orange pipe is probably nylon. that would be cool.

My teacher just got a set of rubber/padded sticks that are the best Id ever seen. He can bend them in half without breaking. Feels like some sort of metal inside. Ill have to find out the brand.

We do cane stick and knife. Sometimes someones got a staff to play around with. Have met a couple guys over the last few years that can use a staff.

Injuries are injuries. Not a lot can be done after a certain point except for good training and smart training partners.

strike!

I don't think I like the idea of sticks that bend that much.

PVC bends a little, but not that much. Plus, I like feeling a little impact to know when I get hit...stick wealts don't bug me.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

I don't like bendy stuff either.

i'll be sticking w/ naked rattan for now and maybe put some pipe insulation on them at some point.

The bendy ones are for grappling with mainly. Plus Im sure they make a killing at the pro shop, being new and all.

strike!

yea, pro shop matters for sure.

when you get a name, let me know. thanks.

Injuries are injuries. Not a lot can be done after a certain point except for good training and smart training partners.

this is so true. I've got some gung ho guys in the school now and they like to fight but they have less than average control and so everyone of them is getting banged up pretty good.

i would think bendy would not be good for grappling as you would not be able to get as good a leverage...but I see that would definitely limit injuries.

stick grappling day-to-day with rattan sticks gets very hard on the neck very quick.

everything else, pretty much the same.

strike!

oh, yea...i guess for normals the neck is pretty weak....

Chinese Tonfa

Sorry for a bit of topic grave-digging, but I'm wondering if any of you know about any sources where one could learn and self study Kung Fu Tonfa. I'm interested in the longer version of the tonfa. You see Gordon Liu use it in the movie Heroes from the East against his wife. It seems to have the length of the traditional chinese crutch but the shape of a tonfa.

So far the longest I've found is the American nightstick at 24", though after looking over the size used in the movie it would need to be about 30-32". Does anyone know where I could buy one like this or am I left only with the option of making one myself?

Thanks,

Josepherd

i heard that in Heroes of the East 2 that there was an entire segment teaching the mostest bestest form of the chinese tonfa because Lui's wife had to get revenge on her husband and so found the teacher of the teacher that taught Lui's the form but he was dead so got the directer of that chinese kung fu ghost movie to create a scene where she was able to resurrect him for just long enough to learn the form.

it's pretty cool. i would watch it.