Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stick Fighting

In my arnis days we actually sparred with just a headgear w/ face cage and those kenpo finger glove. We use rubber and foam wrapped rattan sticks. Aside from lots of bruising and the occasional sprained wrist ankle it was not bad injury-wise.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

The below is a clip of me training with my teachers from a trip to the Philippines in March 2009. It isnt "stick fighting" per se, but all attacks are totally random and with intent to hit the target. Sometimes the strikes are soft and sometimes they are very hard, but its more intense than 95% of the sparring/fighting Ive done in other systems Ive trained over the years:

http://www.youtube.com/user/plumdrag.../0/_szydTI7IZc

This is the only way we train--no drills or patterns, no solo work, just high-intensity stick work, always intense enough that you are well out of your comfort zone. Some people wear pads on their elbows and hands. I prefer to not wear that protective gear, and after a while you dont even notice the strikes that hit...
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 02-16-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    I don’t want to offend any one bye saying this. If you gear up in head gear, pads and wrap your weapons to soften blow or even use soft rattan were is the realism in the applications and technique. It just turns in to two or more people slugging it out getting sloppy. From what I have seen maybe you could post a clip of crisp clean stick fighting I have yet to come across.

In kenpo we did the same as a previous post pvc wrapped in electrical tape and pads on. The above was my personal experience and what I have come across on vids.
    nice post... this is true - when people are padded up, they tend to lose focus.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    The below is a clip of me training with my teachers from a trip to the Philippines in March 2009. It isnt "stick fighting" per se, but all attacks are totally random and with intent to hit the target. Sometimes the strikes are soft and sometimes they are very hard, but its more intense than 95% of the sparring/fighting Ive done in other systems Ive trained over the years:

http://www.youtube.com/user/plumdrag.../0/_szydTI7IZc

This is the only way we train--no drills or patterns, no solo work, just high-intensity stick work, always intense enough that you are well out of your comfort zone. Some people wear pads on their elbows and hands. I prefer to not wear that protective gear, and after a while you dont even notice the strikes that hit...
    Nice work dude.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    would really like to invest some time in the dog brothers stuff but not much around my area for that. Most of it's on the West coast. I saw one kinda close up in PA but still about 4 hours away.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    would really like to invest some time in the dog brothers stuff but not much around my area for that. Most of it's on the West coast. I saw one kinda close up in PA but still about 4 hours away.
    AH dude, gets some DVD's, there stuff is very east to learn from and get together with some guys and beta each other up.
    It's that simple.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    well we beat each other up the way it is anyhow. Just not as much with weapons, which is what i'm interested in. if anyone ever hears of one (dog brothers) in the ohio, PA, MA area give me a heads up.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Just posted another stick vid on youtube for those interested. First half is me training with one of my teachers, GM Bob Tabimina. Second half is me working with my students.

All training is 100% random. No patterns or drills, just react!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLRe1dRbm0

PlumDragon,

Nice Vids, I really enjoyed them.

I like the random aspect of the drills. they have to make your reaction times really crisp.

Nice Work

Thanks snowdog, glad you liked them!

The system is a reaction-based training rather than focusing on techniques; so yes, we make sure to install reactions and refine them very well before moving on to learning how to attack and finish the fight. That way, when we start having to make "decisions" about what to do on offense, the defense is already inherently built in in case something goes awry...

Josh,

Excellent vids!

good luck with your training!
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Dale,

Thanks Brother, Im glad you liked it! =)

Will be in touch before I leave for Manila...

Just uploaded a new stick work video from training sessions at the beginning of June. Advanced reactionary agak, totally random and 100% unchoreographed, done real-time under pressure. Sorry, no "techniques".

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv98_PxXaus
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 06-19-2010 at 06:40 AM.

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart