Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is this N.Y. Shaolin U-tube Vid?

Well, at least he admits it's not for competition, or athletics. Too bad it's too poetically written for a newbie to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Wow I found this little nugget of wisdom from that website MK posted (bolds are mine):

"WHAT IS SHAOLIN?

"If your primary interest is tournament skills, I advise you to seek your training elsewhere! Most of what you will learn here is too lethal for tournament use. I teach the ancient system of Shaolin Do, "Art of survival, not of sport." As did the immortals, we should learn to destroy, so that we may preserve! It is a way of truth. The knowledge I offer you is not an athletic training, it is a sacred trust."
    - Shaolin Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé"
    He left out "See you at the Annual Sin The' Karate Tournament!"

"WHAT IS SHAOLIN-DO?

"If your primary interest is usable self defense skills, I advise you to seek your training elsewhere! Most of what you will learn here is flashy crap inspired by grade b kung fu movies. I teach the ancient system of Shaolin Do, "Art of capital, not of quality." As did my teacher, I learned how to suck guilable fools in, so that I may grow richer! That is a the honest truth. The crap I offer you is not an authentic martial art, it is a ridiculous scam."
    - Shaolin Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé"
    Well, at least they are honest about it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    The teacher is not to blame, as he is second generation. For all he knows, he is doing Kung-Fu. Guys like him, were taught by people who told them what they did was Kung-Fu, and in the seventies and eighties, these were the only guys out there-except a few. They had good "form" not good forms-meaning they had strong stances, strong striking, good focus,all of which requires intensive training., just not authentic Kung-Fu. And all things being equal, they were strong competitors. Sure it was point fighting, but that's all there was at the time.
    By the way, I am not defending bullsh!t systems, just saying that it's not his fault(although he could open up a book...)I AM still bitter. I have had my students do traditional CMA and get beat by someone doing some snake crawls up the rat's a$$ form, because they had cartwheels and flips, and the judges were TKD guys.
    And we have all seen the guy with the custom made yin and yang dashiki ,harem pants (or whatever those things MC Hammer wears) cartwheel himself into the winner's circle in tournaments. Thank the Godz for TCMA tournaments.

Blog Entries
    Hey, who changed the title of my thread....****ing dictatorship!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    He should fight this guy!

http://www.newyorkshaolin.com/home.html
    How did I know you would find that link.

He left out "See you at the Annual Sin The' Karate Tournament!"'
    No, he didn't. That's a west school in the East. No ties to the "Sin The Tournament."

I've seen better... but I've also seen worse. If nothing else, the intent is there... but he does two things that really bug me... first, in the weapons forms, his eyes tend to follow the weapon. If you look down before trying to sweep my knee out with a staff, I'm more likely to catch on and guard low... his stances are nice, but he tends to let his back slope forward on some of those horse stance transitions.

As a whole, their forms have more of a staccato "pop" characteristic of JMA and KMA, though some of them have similar "shape" to CMA... the girl from 7:38-8:27 in particular, looks VERY karate-ish... I was waiting for the kiai... but then, some believe that's characteristic of "real" shaolin anyway, so go figure
    Last edited by BlueTravesty; 05-14-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators