Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: unusual weapons

unusual weapons

I thought it might be fun to start a new thread on unusual weapons and weapons systems to see what's out there. Are there any forum members who practice CLF's pipe and punk techniques? Miao dao? Double chopping knives?Anyone like to throw chopsticks? I'm particularly interested in weapons that have been used as "underground" survival tools in living memory. I don't know anyone who has actually used a sleeve dart but there are many hidden weapons that are known and practiced outside the standard curricula of open door schools.
    Here are a few of my favorites: Iron hat brim--worn inside the liner of a fedora, sometimes sharpened. Offers some protection against a hatchet attack and can be used offensively when unsheathed from the hat.
    Chinese pepper spray: in the bad old days of the 20th century in Guangdung (and elsewhere, perhaps) chili peppers were ground up and rolled into little "cigarettes". When approached by members of a rival "society" you reach into a shirt pocket, carefully bite off the end of a little paper tube and...don't inhale!
    Golden coin belt: actually utilizes Ching era copper coins (metal galvanized washers work well in a pinch) sewn into an ordinary-looking cloth "yiu dai" sash. The techniques are the same as those used in many other flexible weapon systems. What is unique is the way the knot is tied so that it can be released with a single tug of one of the tails and the peculiar twist of the hips and body spin manouver used to unleash the weighted end of the sash.
    Last edited by jdhowland; 11-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.

i practise using walls doors and windows and the art of throwing ppl through them
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I've been known to wreak havoc with a safety pin.

Kind of ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    I've been known to wreak havoc with a safety pin.

Kind of ironic.
    LOL ur the best

An IV drug user once stuck me with the safety pin they'd just cut themselves with. NOT a fun 24 hrs.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

unusual weapons

In that regard a pin could certainly qualify as a deadly weapon. As a corrections officer I have come across bodily fluids used in life threatening situations. Inmates who are hep C carriers sometimes like the idea of sharing their problems with others by smearing their own blood on razor blades hidden in strategic places. These may qualify as weapons, but are not systematic in the sense of a resource available to groups of people who actually train in its use.
    Here's another example outside the field of Chinese arts: Chicana gang members have been known to use ring knives (generally used to cut box twine) sharpened on the outside edge to inflict serious wounds in planned attacks on rival females. No matter who wins, the victim will be scarred for life. If this occurs more than once it may be considered a weapon system used by an underground group to further personal and political aims.

I once spread some mildew in a rival dojo's basement. It's not quite a deadly weapon, but if you give it time....

Half of ninjitsu is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Chinese pepper spray: in the bad old days of the 20th century in Guangdung (and elsewhere, perhaps) chili peppers were ground up and rolled into little "cigarettes". When approached by members of a rival "society" you reach into a shirt pocket, carfully bite off the end of a little paper tube and...don't inhale!
    Any more info on this? I find it quite interesting.

As for hidden weapons, There is a bench set in Hung Ga or BSL. Uses a common little wooden bench.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Are there any forum members who practice CLF's pipe and punk techniques? Miao dao? Double chopping knives?Anyone like to throw chopsticks? I'm particularly interested in weapons that have been used as "underground" survival tools in living memory. I don't know anyone who has actually used a sleeve dart but there are many hidden weapons that are known and practiced outside the standard curricula of open door schools.
    Sifu Chan Tai Shan taught us a few miao do sets - nothing out of the ordinary in terms of what you might expect when using a long sharp sword with two hands, although a few unusual moves did come up; he also taught bowl / chopstick, crutches (like long tonfas), bench, emei daggers, and a broad sword / whip chain combo; he talked about sleeve darts, and also one that you wore on your back that fired when you bowed down in suplication in front of your target...

there was probably more, Mike P. or Ross would probably remember other stuff...

Chinese pepper spray

My only source for this information is from an anecdote told by my si-hing Harvey Tse about 25 or 30 years ago. I always assumed it came from his father's (my sifu's) gang experiences in China in the pre-communist years. I haven't found a willing victim to try this on but with a little practice a dry pepper spray can be ejected 15 feet or more. Warning: I cannot reccomend this as a practical method of self defense. In my professional calling I have used oleoresin capsicum and I have enjoyed the experience of having it sprayed directly into my eyes. This modern pepper spray is probably much stronger than anything available in China when Sifu was a lad. It's sometimes rated in the old Scoville Heat unit scale in the millions (the stuff I put on my eggs might be rated 400,000 SCU. Does it work? Sure. I experienced the required impaired eyesight and the "seven-foot dragon snots." But I doubt that a pepper cigarette would be useful against more than one opponent. Consider it a tactical aid to escape more difficult situations rather than a debilitating weapon.

I'm sure Sifu Parella could tell you of the dart technique that Grandmaster Sensei taught called the "Brown Kowtow", which was actually an add-on to the shoulderplate dart curapjt was talking about.

You lodge it firmly between the buttcheeks, so that when you bow, you kill the person directly behind you as it shoots from the rectum.

It has also been called the "Stinky Wonder from the Dark Down Under," but something is lost in the translation.

It was funny, but because of Grandmaster Sensei's accent, we kept thinking he was saying "Stevie Wonder from the Dark Down Under," and couldn't figure out why he was talking about blind people with an anal technique.

CLF has that tv antenna thing.
    Ive also heared about a shaolin DaMo Sandle / Slipper form. Cant remember where I heared abotu that tho.
    HSKWarrior once spoke about coin throwing arts too
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    I’ve trained with someone recently who used the unusual weapon of combined Indian curry & stale beer breath. Very affective kept me well out of striking range.

A guy I sometimes train with has mentioned bouncers (I think) using a hot pie from the chippy. Simply take off the top of the pie when you expect trouble and apply to protagonists face.

the guy i train with called phil (professional criminal) has said that chips and gravy has time and again been an exceedingly useful weapon