Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: unusual weapons

A corrections officer I know walks around work with a hot cup of coffee whenever possible. Never drinks it though.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    I thought it might be fun to start a new thread on unusual weapons and weapons systems to see what's out there. Are there any forum members who practice CLF's pipe and punk techniques? Miao dao? Double chopping knives?Anyone like to throw chopsticks?

I practice throwing clawed cats at people.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

The Chinese arsenal is wacky

One of my favorite weird Chinese weapons are what I call "ducks on a stick". They are these double metal rods, topped with a metal duck that's shaped quite like a rubber bathtub duck. They are always practiced in pairs. I've seen several references and even a few vids, but I've yet to see them live.

A funky little resource on this, if you can still find a copy, is Ancient Chinese Hidden Weapons by Douglas H. Y. Hsieh. It's loaded with weird Chinese weapons.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    A funky little resource on this, if you can still find a copy, is Ancient Chinese Hidden Weapons by Douglas H. Y. Hsieh. It's loaded with weird Chinese weapons.
    somewhere in my basement this book still exists - I know the duck ones you're talking about - hysterical; I also like the one that's the shape of a man's body and the paired one that's a fist holding a spike or a pen on the end of a stick

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "I also like the one that's the shape of a man's body and the paired one that's a fist "

this is going to be an exercise in self-restraint....

must...not...post...

cjurakpt Guest
    oh, go ahead - I deserve it...

the bronze man!

Yes, I know the ones you speak of, cjurakpt. The fist-holding-spike is a variation of a fo shou (buddha hand). There are many Buddhist images that have many hands like the thousand-armed Kwan Yin. Typically each of these hands are holding a different tool, often weapons, but occasionally stuff like the spike. They are also often in different mudras. There's a fo shou type weapon that's a long pole, topped with metal hand that is in that mudra which is basically the cornu. I love that one too. It's very heavy metal.

As for the bronze man, here's my little anecdote about that. I used to work at American Fencers Supply, and during the summers, when business was slow, they would station me upstairs in the premium weapon/break room where I would hand draw images of our products for our xerographic catalog. This was before the days of digital photography, although if you search about on that website, you'll still be able to find my drawings (they make swords there so they're still on the medieval side ). Anyway, there I spent my summers for a couple of years, in this hot attic-like room, filled with our high grade swords, huffing ink and white out. Now, AFS is in the SOMA district of SF, near a lot of leather bars and halfway houses. We'd occasionally get some psycho street person coming in. Once this nut case grabbed a sword off the wall in our display room and started swinging. We all grabbed swords and chased him off, but after that, up there in that room, I always fantasized about another such intruder, in a stereotypic martial artist paranoid sort of way. Which of the premium swords would I grab? There was this little suit of armor statue that we had acquired and kept up there. It was about a yard tall. After seeing that bronze man reference, I always hoped to grab that first. I figured it would totally psych out any intruder. I've never seen a demo of that weapon (although I have a dusty memory of a movie reference). I'd love to see a real one.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i won't bring up sword-chuks because i find that i have played that topic to death so how about ...

http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=37&issue=5
    http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=38&issue=5

i have a set of big conch shells - each is big enough to stick a hand into and grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    i have a set of big conch shells - each is big enough to stick a hand into and grasp.
    brother U., you're just casting out into the sea for any old sort of bite these days, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    brother U., you're just casting out into the sea for any old sort of bite these days, huh?
    it's true!! i have these two big shells - seashell boxing gloves... do your sword form and adapt it to having one of these babies on your off-hand fist.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    That reminds me...I have a pair of tekko or iron shells from my Ryukyu kobudo training in Hawaii.

If you haven't seen these, they are spiked, stirrup-shaped iron "knuckle dusters." Almost all Ryukyuan weapons are derived from southern Chinese sources. So, does anyone know if these exist in Chinese arts? I don't recall whether they are featured in any of those old books on ancient Chinese weapons.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

a pencil 9 10
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    I wonder if the term "duck" had the same meaning as today. Now a duck refers to a male prostitute. Maybe getting clubbed to death by two little ducks just added to the humiliation. Was this some sort of Qing Dynasty pimp cane?

The Buddah hand is probably the best way to lay the smack down. Suggesting that their God is behind them getting smacked is a good way to keep them from fighting back.

Today in China guards use these rubber clubs which look like some sort of sexual device. I can imagine that this is a rather demeaning way to get Rodney Kinged.
    one can only imagine what goes on behind closed doors of police stations in china... or anywhere else for the matter. sodomizing a person with an object is one of the most humiliating ways to brutalize someone, we can be sure that the police are aware of this also.