Thread: Weapons in Tai Chi

Weapons in Tai Chi

I was wondering if there were anymore weapons in tai chi than the ones we are used to seeing like the straight sword and the fan. Is the cane ever used? What about nunchuks? I kind of doubt the nunchuks thing but you get my point right? What are some I guess you could say uncommon weapons used in Tai Chi?
    "Jeet Kune Do is the art not founded on technique or doctrine. It is just as you are." -Bruce Lee

Nunchaku is never used in tai chi. At least i have never come across it being used. Most common weapons are as you said straight sword, crescent Swords, bo staff and spear as well as sabres. I think the 3 sectioned staff is used sometimes but not sure lol.

oh interesting, I didn't know about crescent swords or sabres being used in tai chi or the three section staff to tell you the truth, I always found that to be an interesting weapon. What about the cane, is that ever used in Tai Chi?
    "Jeet Kune Do is the art not founded on technique or doctrine. It is just as you are." -Bruce Lee

I dont think the cain is ever used in tai chi. Crescent swords are very popular in tai chi as they are used as an extention of the arms for cutting and locking and disarming weapons such as bo staff. 3 sectioned staff is a very hard weapon to master. I started with the bo staff when i was younger and have moved on to that now. The main principal of using it is as kali sticks, or stick fighting in the philippines that is the form of holding them but due to the chained connection and third bar it has exceptional blocking. Check youtube for a wushu competition fight between a Bo staff and 3 sectioned staff. Its looks amazing you should check it out.

I was wonering about this myself last week. I picked up a small, one handed sledge hammer to drive a metal stake into the ground and I was thinking about tis fighting application taiji. I've never heard of it being used, though. If there was a form, it'd probably have some similarities to using a staff for hitting someone in the foot or some short stick work to hit joints, like the knee or up the side of the head/neck. However, a one handed sledgehammer doesn't quite feel 'taiji'. If you look at the other weapons traditionally used, a one handed sledgehammer feels more 'rhino' than 'tiger', 'crane', 'dragon', etc.

yeah maybe if there was a form the cane would be similar to some sort of staff, are there any small, about cane sized staffs in tai chi. I like different weapons you know, I love the fighting fans as well, that I know is used in Tai Chi. Nunchakus are another of my favorite weapons but not the top you know. So yeah, any small cane sized staffs in tai chi?

My sifu has always said "Try figuring out how to use small single handed weapons for your open handed forms, you'll find that many objects can greatly aid combat."

Pencils, chopsticks, etc.

Also, Wind and Fire wheels is a rarely seen weapon, my sifu and I had the opportunity to study under a great master named Steve Sun last summer.

http://www.wle.com/media/W044-T.jpg
    is a picture of a pair.

There is indeed a Yang style Taiji broadsword form as well (Sabre):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAtIvzxJfg

Note: the links are just google results, I didn't take them, I just looked them up!

Enjoy!,
    Mark

I found this video on YouTube of a guy practicinhg Ba Gua with a cane. I don't know if this is legit or anything though I just found it on YouTube. What do you think of it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EcYHVQKQAMo

flexible weapons?

I've never seen a taiji flexible weapon (like a 3-sectional staff). I'd love to see that.

I've seen a lot of taiji weapons. Straight swords are the most common, obviously. Twin swords are also common. There are also broadswords, twin broadswords, spear, long staff and kwandao. Some more unusual weapons are flywhisks and hard whips.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

KFTC Day 2017: Tai Chi Weapons

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chen Taiji's Eyebrow Level Staff

The SUMMER 2018 Cover Story: Chen Taiji's Eyebrow Level Staff: Master Chen Ziqiang Paving the Way to Success by Emilio Alpanseque is available online.

THREADS:
    Weapons in Tai Chi
    Summer 2018

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips