Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Ark Yuey Wong- list of lineage/style holders?

That is what in my opinion separate a REAL master by the common martial arts pratictioner, the ability to assimilate and remember a huge ammount of technical information and being able to pass them on.
    When you said somewhere that to learn martial arts you need also to be "smart" couldn't be more true.
    I guess all those Thai boxers and western boxers and those that train in systems that have only a handfull of kata wil never be true masters.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I'm not sure if learning more forms, or knowing more forms makes you a master (or a better martial artist for that matter), but I do know that THAT is a lot of material!

Hey, it only takes one strike to knock someone out...

But I do think that you can learn a lot from your forms, a tremendous amount even. But only IF the person teaching them to you, teaches you how to extract the fighting elements best suited for YOU and teaches you how to use them.

Bottom line, forms are great and they can be fun to learn, but if you think they are the 'secret' or TCMA or they will teach you how to fight on their own....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I guess all those Thai boxers and western boxers and those that train in systems that have only a handfull of kata wil never be true masters.
    Come on,.. I know you are smarter then that.
    I know I've been too synthetic, but I was not talking about forms collection, neither I meant to imply that more forms you know the better fighter you are.
    I was talking about the impression I got that certain martial artists that excell or stand out of the crowd have a better brain capacity if I can say so.
    That's just my opinion, not saying is an ultimate truth, just my perception.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    I'm not sure if learning more forms, or knowing more forms makes you a master (or a better martial artist for that matter), but I do know that THAT is a lot of material!

Hey, it only takes one strike to knock someone out...

But I do think that you can learn a lot from your forms, a tremendous amount even. But only IF the person teaching them to you, teaches you how to extract the fighting elements best suited for YOU and teaches you how to use them.

Bottom line, forms are great and they can be fun to learn, but if you think they are the 'secret' or TCMA or they will teach you how to fight on their own....
    I agree 100% on the above, I'd like to underline however that learning, remembering and knowing how to use the essence of so many styles and forms as your late Sifu did isn't ordinary.

Got my point? Isn't for everybody to be able to process such a huge amount of information and being able to put them into use, more so in a stage of life that isn't anymore the first spring.

Once again, impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    Come on,.. I know you are smarter then that.
    I know I've been too synthetic, but I was not talking about forms collection, neither I meant to imply that more forms you know the better fighter you are.
    I was talking about the impression I got that certain martial artists that excell or stand out of the crowd have a better brain capacity if I can say so.
    That's just my opinion, not saying is an ultimate truth, just my perception.

Regards
    You took one extreme to make a point, I took the other to refute it.
    There are fighters and their are teachers and in the very small percentile, there are those that do both very, very well.
    I don't think that its a question of being more "intelligent" than others or having better brain capacity, though fore teachers it certainly helps, I think its a question of compatability, some people were "born" to do certain things and do them well.

You took one extreme to make a point, I took the other to refute it.
    There are fighters and their are teachers and in the very small percentile, there are those that do both very, very well.
    I don't think that its a question of being more "intelligent" than others or having better brain capacity, though fore teachers it certainly helps, I think its a question of compatability, some people were "born" to do certain things and do them well.
    Yes, you said it well, some people were "born" to do certain things and do them well (the extreem minority in my opinion). As for the 'intelligence' I'm referring more to a certain "ingeniousness" that isn't in the majority. Again, my personal opinion and observation.

Yes, you said it well, some people were "born" to do certain things and do them well (the extreem minority in my opinion). As for the 'intelligence' I'm referring more to a certain "ingeniousness" that isn't in the majority. Again, my personal opinion and observation.
    Perhaps even a certain "audacity"...

Perhaps even a certain "audacity"...
    Yes perhaps even a certain "audacity" and some more......

Regards

Guru Bianca,

I know exactly what your talking about. Ark Wong had that ability. They are few and far between, but they exist.

Best to U

Ron

Thank Michael

Thats a lot of forms......

But I think ....Style with a lot of forms ...usually the forms are repetition of sequence (a group ofmotion)who you have already learned in another form.....

For exemple I mean Form 5 have almost the same sequence of motions of form2 and some of form 3 but different arrangment and so on

Steeve

Talking

Dear sifu ron,

I thank you for helping me get on this forum. was no one's fault and that's ok ? done ! gone ! let's move in a positive direction !

you are right about what you say and what guru bianca has to offer as an opinion. first we learn one hand the we learn two hands. part of devopment i would say. on the good side we learn to do things right handed then left handed. same things for a weapon. first one hand then two hands. this develpos our the ability of human brain to function in unison ! thus becoming as the shaolin says, one within our selves. mind, body and spirit. there are many chines weapons but if you look at the overall picture; they are catagorized in short weapons and long weapons. each of these has thier speciality. but in short they are either short or long. guru bianca has the right idea.

ob1rv / el matdor
    Last edited by ob1rv; 11-29-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Cool Weapons

Grand Master Ark Y. Wong taught me the Butterfly knives and many more,I enjoyed the weapon training very much,The butterfly knives teach you how to coordination as well. Using both hands at the same time while twirling them in in different motions,G.M.A.Wong taught me three different sets(forms) they all were very vigorous and rather long as I recall,I have them on film so I won't forget them.The Hung Ga set was different from the others as the foot work was not like the others.
    I still swing them around today.I use two steel rods that are 28" long & weigh 2.5lbs.each,They get me warmed up when ever I train with weapons. Trying to keep the rods parallel is the hard part.Next to the katana they are my second choice.

Sifu Jim

Sifu Jim

Do you trained some Filipino martial art(Kali,Arnis,Eskrima) thats the same method of training with the iron bar ?

Steeve

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Thank Michael

Thats a lot of forms......

But I think ....Style with a lot of forms ...usually the forms are repetition of sequence (a group ofmotion)who you have already learned in another form.....

For exemple I mean Form 5 have almost the same sequence of motions of form2 and some of form 3 but different arrangment and so on

Steeve
    Steeve, our forms are quite different. There is always a certain percentage of 'seeds' or basics in every form, but Chan Tai-San' forms had a great deal of uniqueness. Granted, I learned about 20 CLF forms, I could easily throw out 2-3 of them, but the rest are valuable in my opinion. Lama, Mok Ga,...same thing.