Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Ark Yuey Wong- list of lineage/style holders?

Talking Weapons

Dear Sifu Jim,

i am surprized that you would choose the Katana. i too might and would probably do the same. i enjoy my straight sword. butterfly knives, the spear and my three section pole. i own about three katanas and actually take one with me to go camping out in the desert to use my deep space telescope. the katana is a practical and usefull addition to anyones collection don't you think ? i own one that was a gift from a student. it is an antique and was owned by a Japanese officer during world war II. the steel alone will blow your mind if you are into swords and knives. it is hand hammered and you can actuall see the hammer and the water mark as they dip the red hot sword into the water for cool and shaping ! it also has a hiiden dagger on the inside of the scabre !hope to show it to you some day.

ob1rv / el matador
    Last edited by ob1rv; 11-30-2007 at 07:30 AM.

WE might be distant kung fu cousin

Sifu Michael Parrella,
    I read GM Chan Tai San’s bio; it is amazing that he, my grandfather and I all came from Toi-San; and our Mok Ga ancestor traced back to Mok Jing-Kiu. It will be interesting to see a video clip of your Mok Ga form. Toi-San is a county in Quondong province; do you know which city or main village your Sifu came from? We came from Toi-San, Bucksar (white sand), Namlong. I am wondering if Jing Waah Jih is near by our main village; my grandfather might had visited your Sigung before he came to USA in 1927.

Sifu Seming Ma

Cool Steel Rods:

Hello Steeve,
    The answer to your question is yes I was introduced to Filipino M.A.after I left L.A, I met a master in Filipino M.A. his name was Samo Rodrigo.The meeting was by chance as I was at his place of work Installing some equipment,when I saw some bamboo sticks and some knives on his wall. I started talking to him about them,i told him that I had trained with G.M.Ark Y. Wong for 10 years.One thing led to another and we started working out at his place, He knew Eskrima,Kali and Arnis.This training was informal as at the time I wasn't teaching Kung Fu,and needed to work out.He also wanted to get together and work out,So we traded knowledge i showed him the butterfly knives.We trained together as time permitted for about 2 years.
    We both enjoyed the work outs. It always amazes me that all M.A.are so close.

Sifu Jim

Jim Anestasi

When Dan Inosanto visited, did you see his FMA?

Hi Jim

Yes the butterfly knife and the sinawalli(double stick) of filipino MA have a lot similiraritie(look a lot the same) but also their differences.....

The Xia ....I trained with Guru Inosanto....In Kali ,Silat JKD and so on

Question Question

The Xia, I see you have a good background in F.M.A. and others, To answer your question I think He came up for a visit with a few others, In 1965? or 66 not to sure about that time. I recall him doing a demo for us but it wasn't the first visit i don't think. I have seen him over the years in movies and stuff like that. He trained with Wong Ark. Yuey for awhile privately.
    Sifu Jim

S ifu Michael

Steeve, our forms are quite different. There is always a certain percentage of 'seeds' or basics in every form, but Chan Tai-San' forms had a great deal of uniqueness. Granted, I learned about 20 CLF forms, I could easily throw out 2-3 of them, but the rest are valuable in my opinion. Lama, Mok Ga,...same thing.

Does you mean each forms teach different principles and concept of the Style .....or different way to apply the Techniques(Applications) or maybe to train different physical Attribute of the players....

I mean here some forms are from learn the basics ,the concept and principles...
    others forms are more fighting forms more for learn applications and some for train physical attribute(conditionning of endurance ,cardio .....speed and so on)

For sure Forms could not replace two men drills,sparring and power training with Apparels (heavy bag and so on)

Steeve

Dear Sifu Give me news about your old Chevy Impala 1964 in the garage

Maybe Joe Garage from the late Frank Zappa

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2g7LnP...eature=related

Ok the song here'

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8415...eature=related

The late Frank Zappa
    Last edited by Steeeve; 12-01-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Floor Patterns and stance training

Sifu Jim Anestasi,

I remember reading somewhere that it was your idea to put lines on
    the floor to help new students learn their stances. I'd love to hear more
    about this and master Ark Wong's reaction.

Also, would you mind discussing Ark Wong's instructions on the proper
    way to breath during form training and during fighting? Thank you.

Respectfully,

Chuang tzu

The marking of the pattern was always on the floor in all the school I ever see.
    We call it " Walking your horse pattern." I also hear people talk about 40 - 60, 50 - 50, 60 - 40....... Very confusing... Cat stance is always called " Light leg." regardless of the weight balance.. We find that when people are not sure of what they do they " Intellectualize ."

Cool Stance Training

Quote Originally Posted by ChuangkTzu View Post
    Sifu Jim Anestasi,

I remember reading somewhere that it was your idea to put lines on
    the floor to help new students learn their stances. I'd love to hear more
    about this and master Ark Wong's reaction.

Also, would you mind discussing Ark Wong's instructions on the proper
    way to breath during form training and during fighting? Thank you.

Respectfully,

Chuang tzu
    Chuang Tzu,
    Yes to your first Question, G.M.A.Y.Wong thought It was a good idea.
    The reason behind the lines was to help the students keep their stance in a straight line,I started with chalk and with a yard stick to make the the lines.Later I painted long straight lines,next came the box with different patterns.At that time I was a teacher student, It made my job easier as the student could see if he was in the proper position.Sifu A.Wong was very strict about the stance training and you couldn't move on before your stances where correct.

As to breathing,You should breath with the abdomen ,inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth,when you exhale a hissing sound is made.Calming breaths are taken before starting any training and after.Breathing exercise is very important in C.M.A.,There are different ways as they are styles,Variations abound.

Sifu Jim

Quote Originally Posted by NGKSMM View Post
    This video clip should shed some lights for those have been wondering what Ark Wong’s Mok Ga looks?

http://www.kungfu5family.com/GMWongMokGa.wmv

Why do some people (including Doug Wong) say that Haumea Lefiti's Splashing Hands is Mok Gar? This video clip looks nothing like Splashing Hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Anestasi View Post
    Chuang Tzu,
    Yes to your first Question, G.M.A.Y.Wong thought It was a good idea.
    The reason behind the lines was to help the students keep their stance in a straight line,I started with chalk and with a yard stick to make the the lines.Later I painted long straight lines,next came the box with different patterns.At that time I was a teacher student, It made my job easier as the student could see if he was in the proper position.Sifu A.Wong was very strict about the stance training and you couldn't move on before your stances where correct.
    Sifu Jim ... this is a very interesting post. In Splashing Hands kung fu, the students train on a painted box on the floor (a 3ft by 3ft square divided into four smaller squares) to help the shuffling footwork. Were you the one who came up with the idea?

Very interesting ... thanks for all the info you are sharing here!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Kangmuk

You said you are a mok gar player....strong kick for closed the range and closed hands or fist at closed range.....(like the chicken heart fist )

You seem to know the ng ga of GM Wong style ....almost all the kicking of Ng ga came from mok gar....mostly the snap kick ...the way we call it ....its a kind of front kick but with the feet pointing at 9 oclock (little bit like a fast side kick)

Here some mok gar

http://www.yichuankungfu.com/images/PAGODAMG.wmv

Steeve
    This clip looks a litte bit more like Splashing Hands than the other Mok Gar clip ... but still pretty different .... I am not entirely convinced that they are the same art.
    On another thread, someone said it was Kenpo Karate .... but I am not convinced about that either ......

Talking you are so right !

Dear Sifu Jim,

it was a miracle that you sugessted the drawing of those lines. not only at the school in China Town But those lines were also drawn at the school on daly st. i just want you to know that i walked those lines day in and day out before i was able to do them on my own. Wong Sifu must have been very grateful for your input and the caring and concern you had for him and our school. as i remember them they were drawn three times. Small, Medium, and large if i recall. they kept my horse the same size all the time. you really have an inovative mind and in response to a prior post; i have never seen a line pattern that taught the horse stance before. we do not intellectualize. we understand !

you are also correct about the breath. Wong Sifu said to calm your mind and your breath. when you have watched Wong Sifu do his forms he had a very calm and relaxed breath but during some movements such as a strike with his fist he would exhale very loud to excert his power. now may i say something to you sir. after being with Wong Sifu for a few years i was taught sounds to be used during my form practice. these sounds coensided with the seven chakra's. this helped my power emensely. but mind you; the breath was always calm until the moment of impact, then we used the sound to increase our strength. as you say Grand Sifu; there are many was just as ther are styles !!

Sorry i took so long but have been vary busy trying to find work and keep things together. i will take more care and post on this forum in you and Sifu Ron's support!! again i apologize and may God Bless You and Your Family !

Merry Christmas !

Brother to Brother

Strength and Honor

ob1rv / el matador