Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ark Yuey Wong- list of lineage/style holders?

Blog Entries
    sifu wong can also be found in this video too.

he's helping professor Lau Bun during a lion dance.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xCs1Lcip-Io
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    sifu wong can also be found in this video too.

he's helping professor Lau Bun during a lion dance.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xCs1Lcip-Io
    Thanks! Great to see this.

Ark Yuey Wong

Hello out there, I was the first non chinese student taught by master Wong ,I started training with him in 1958 and continued for ten years. We opened the Wah Que Studio in old china town. I used to open the studio every day and would start the classes before sifu would came over after closing his store. He taught me the hard way ,showing me the technique no more than twice. I guess he was always testing me .Luckly I had other martial arts training which help. The first 6 months was horse training in the back of his small store. He sold herbs ,magazines , news paper from china etc. In 1964 I think black belt magazine did an interview with him ,Im mentioned in the article as his long time student.They took a lot of pitures but they left out most of them. I also received my certificate in 1964 which I still have hanging in my home. So as to the question about linrage I guess since I was the first non chinese student. I'm retired now but i continue tokeep my mind active and my body as well as it will let me.

Thanks for your time ,Sifu Jim Anestasi

Sifu Antestasi

Hope to see you to our forum

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/nggakuen/

Steeve

Sifu Jim Anestasi

Sifu Anestasi,

I have left you a private message. I look forward to your response.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    so Sifu Jim...who IS that guy from the Bruce Tegner books???!!!
    c'mon, ya gotta know!

Smile WHO is this guy?

Ten Tigers, Hello I'm am not familiar with those books or Bruce Tegner, If i had a piture of him prehaps i would recognise him. When did he study with master Wong.
    Why are you asking these questions? is he a fake or something else??.

Sorry as i can't help at this time. Sifu Jim

In California there is also James McNeil.
    He was a student under Ralph Shun (who was a senior student of Ark Wong).
    Sifu McNeil also learned Splashing Hands from Tiny Lefiti who in turn learned it from Ark Wong. He still teaches Combination form, Small Cross form and the animal forms etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    In California there is also James McNeil.
    He was a student under Ralph Shun (who was a senior student of Ark Wong).
    Sifu McNeil also learned Splashing Hands from Tiny Lefiti who in turn learned it from Ark Wong. He still teaches Combination form, Small Cross form and the animal forms etc.
    What is that "splashing hands" thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What is that "splashing hands" thing ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashing_hands

It was taught to McNeil by Tiny Lefiti. He learned it from two teachers: firstly a general in Taiwan and then Ark Wong. Apparently the general and Ark Wong were the only people that knew this system.

Ah...the footwork I have seen on Youtube tends to not be very "power oriented".
    Or at least looks that way which could be the whole point when viewed by the public.

Thanks.

Gm Wong never teach the splashing hand....maybe Sifu Jim could talk about ...he s training under Gm Wong ....

Sifu Tiny learned some Ng a kuen and incorporated it to his system the splashing hands even the forms of ng ga are done following the footwork of splashing hands .... lately He became the Co founder of Lima Lama ...a hawaii kenpo style blending some stuff.... good style by the way

Steeve

Smile Who is this guy?

Hello everyone, As to Who is Bruce Tegner, I did a google search and found out him. I now remember him from long ago,I guess he has past on. He was a Judo guy as I remember and had a following in hollywood area of So. Ca.,He wasn't very well liked by some other martial arts people.My wife tells me that we met him at one time ,but i do not remember.I think he learned a little here & there and called it a martial art.
    I remember Ralph Shun he was taught mostly by me & master Wong,also we wrote a book for him.I still have a copy.Ralph was a good student as he came to class about twice a week.As for this thing called splashing hands,I never heard master Wong talk about it.I learned every thing that he new as that is what he told me at that time. He also taught me Dim Muk,I still have the charts that he drew & marked etc. I hope this helps you all.

Sifu Jim

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hi Sifu Jim,
    In the sixties, Bruce Tegner was pretty much the only guy who wrote books on Martial Arts, and he wrote on EVERYTHING.Bruce Tegner's complete book of Karate,Bruce Tegner's complete book on Judo, etc,etc.
    Well, in the late sixties, he was the only guy to have ever mentioned Kung-Fu-besides Bruce Lee, and me being a Kato fanatic, gobbled everything I could get on the subject. The guy demonstrating in his book wore the same black and white satin uniform as Ark Wong. Some of what he demonstrated had names like, whipping branch block,(low double block)scorpion blow,(back knuckle strike)monkey blow(elbow strike), rising deer block(double rising block), and forms like cross form(+), Kung Line form(I),Rice Line form(*).

Ten Tigers Question;

As mentioned in my post I really dont remember much about that time as to him. I was with master Wong When he had ordered too uniforms to be made forhim & I. So copy it would be easy if he had a couple pictures. As I stated earlier this was in 1958.
    Master Wong taught me only different stances for the first 6 months then very slowly started showing me hand positions,then movement, all the time in the back of his store. Finally we would teach me in the parking lot behind the store.
    Nobody new what Kung Fu was back then,I heard about an old man who teaches kung fu and had a store in old china town. I made several trips before I found his store. Then I hung around his store everyday and started talking to him, after much time I asked him if he taught kung fu, he said he did and only taught Chinese. This was already known by me, so I just kept going down to his shop and talking to him about kung fu, I told him that I was Trained in a few other Japanese arts. The rest is history. BTW standing in horse stances for 30 minutes at a time is no fun But I was determined to get him to teach me. He had a few arguments with a few of his customers about it.I trained for 6 to seven days a week.Master Wong was always watching me as I worked out. One thing he demanded from his students was to a strong stance for this is where your power comes from. Standing in the front horse without moving is very difficult.

The reference to splashing hands I think came from a few techniques called slapping hands.

I hope this info. helps.

Sifu Jim