Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ark Yuey Wong- list of lineage/style holders?

Wink Ark Wong

Hi;Kal
    I don't remember the name,But it's possible.My training began 1958 to 68. GMWong opened the Wah Que Studio in 1964.Black Belt Mag. did a story on Sifu Wong ,My name is mentioned twice. I had studied at ED Parker school for about 6 mo.,I asked GM Wong if he knew him ? he said he didn't. I remember Jimmy Woo at the time & the break up.
    Around 65 we had alot of visitors Dan Inosanto ,Bruce Lee,Douglas Wong,And many others .Ark Wong met Ed Parker at the first MA tournament At Long Beach Auditorium,AS far as I can remember, Bruce Lee gave a demo of Jeet Chuan Do.
    Splashing hands was never mentioned in my presence, It was more of an Islander thing. I heard he may have taken some private lessons at one time?.Btw Sifu John Leoing student won the tournament His Name was Buna? not sure.

FWIW, Sifu jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Anestasi View Post
    Around 65 we had alot of visitors Dan Inosanto ,Bruce Lee,Douglas Wong,And many others .Ark Wong met Ed Parker at the first MA tournament At Long Beach Auditorium,AS far as I can remember, Bruce Lee gave a demo of Jeet Chuan Do.
    Splashing hands was never mentioned in my presence, It was more of an Islander thing. I heard he may have taken some private lessons at one time?.Btw Sifu John Leoing student won the tournament His Name was Buna? not sure.
    FWIW, Sifu jim.
    John Leoning's student Carlos Bunda.
    Carlos' student Rick Kinji won it a couple more times.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Tigress View Post
    I studied Sil Lum in the Ark Wong lineage. Blue Ridge Kung Fu Arnis Association. GM Rick Ward's school's. http://www.blueridgekungfuinternatio...dquarters.com/

The guy in Cali you're probably referring to is Rick Ward's teacher, I think his name is David Wood but I can't remember right now. Anyway, he has been ill and to my knowledge no longer teaches, you could try calling Blue Ridge headquarters and perhaps they can steer you in the right direction.

Good luck!
    That would be Alan (not David) Wood and so far, I've not found any proof of a connection between Wood and Sifu Wong...been looking for a while now.

fyi, the best link to 'sil lum' via BRKF is through Sifu Ward -> Sifu Pedlahore...the crane, tiger and combo forms you might know are from Pedlahore, not Wong.

------------------------------

this is possibly the best conversation I've ever read on KFM. Please, gentleman, keep it up and thank you for the candidness and information. It's great to read about the beginnings of martial arts in the US.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    That would be Alan (not David) Wood and so far, I've not found any proof of a connection between Wood and Sifu Wong...been looking for a while now.

fyi, the best link to 'sil lum' via BRKF is through Sifu Ward -> Sifu Pedlahore...the crane, tiger and combo forms you might know are from Pedlahore, not Wong.

this is possibly the best conversation I've ever read on KFM. Please, gentleman, keep it up and thank you for the candidness and information. It's great to read about the beginnings of martial arts in the US.
    Ah... try "David Cash" also in the Blue Ridge area at one time.
    He claimed a lot from Wong Ark Yuey, but I don't believe he ever really taught much of it... if any. AFAIK, it was mostly a mail-order deal.

i was staying away from the 'K' word...

the school in question claims lineage from Wong via Alan Wood and David Kash. None of which is substantiated, afaik.

...pardon me while I gird my loins and prepare the claymores....

oh, Kash never lived in the Blue Ridge...Winston Salem. Still there I think.

I sense an eminant PM or email....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i was staying away from the 'K' word...

the school in question claims lineage from Wong via Alan Wood and David Kash. None of which is substantiated, afaik.

...pardon me while I gird my loins and prepare the claymores....

oh, Kash never lived in the Blue Ridge...Winston Salem. Still there I think.

I sense an eminant PM or email....
    Not from me....
    Guess this just shows how little I know of the geography back there.
    I've been considering checking the area out for relocating.... maybe I'd better get some facts straight.
    "Little things" like weather, real estate prices, etc.

John Leoning's student Carlos Bunda.
    Carlos' student Rick Kinji won it a couple more times.

Kajukenbo here from Sijo Emperado

Steeve

wasn't expecting one from you.

if you're thinking about relocating to NC, send me an email and I'll help with insider info as much as I can.

mmelton@ashevillemartialarts.com

Hi Jim A.,

When you have the time would you please take a moment to read this thread? It is a question I asked nearly two years ago concerning a form supposed called the Yatchi Kune.

If you have any information concerning this form I would appreciate it if you would share it.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ht=Yatchi+Kune

Thank you,

For cantonese its probably YatTsin Kuen (1000 fist)....but no prunonciation here ...I mean the phonetic is important in chinese ..... thats came YET tsin The t is very fast so almost tchi anyway ....

Steeve
    Last edited by Steeeve; 06-12-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Question Yat chi chuan

Hello ,Scott I don't know if I can Help you or not, I looked in all of my form information and the only thing i can reference is this, First Power Fist or First eight power hand.
    The movements and the direction are in the shape as if you draw a cross,then two diagonal lines give you the eight movements.I'm not sure but it might be something quite different I was taught so many sets or forms that it hard to recall them all,so I went to my list.

Hope this helps, Sifu Jim

Here Sifu Jim

You probably talk about the gung lik chuan (power fist forms) of the northern shaolin ....you could find it different version in
    praying mantis ,eagle claw , and so on do it ....the 8 step or whatever are the trademark of northern style like ba gua ,Baji Quan and so on

No disrecpect here ....You learned other kung fu style before GM Wong ???

for no confusion ....here I talk or write in my name like every time i write here .....nothing to do with my sifu...

Steeve

Thank You Jim and Steeeve for taking the time to read the post and give me your thoughts.

Scott Your welcome

In my ng ga kuen lineage ...we dont have this form .....maybe its the name of one of our basics routine ... but dont know .....everybody give some chinese names for look .....

The curriculum(forms) is

Salute
    small cross
    Butterfly
    combinaition
    black bird
    the palm

And the five animals

plus the weapons ,two men forms ...and so on just to give a idea ...

not quantity but quality

Steeve

Smile Termonology

Hello Steeve: I found some more papers from the old days ,here is a list of term's as they were told to me by GM Ark Yuey Wong.
    [stances]
    shi ping ma - front horse
    ping gee ma - straight horse
    song go ma - side horse
    neu gee ma - twist horse
    deu ma - hanging horse
    [ natural weapons]
    yeet chuan - punch with fist
    chuan - fist
    shou - hand
    chong - elbow
    que shou - bridge hand
    cheung - palm push
    peet shou - cut with edge of hand
    chop - shou - straight hand stab
    pea ya - kick
    gai shlim chuey - chicken heart fist
    fu jow - tiger claw
    dok shir leum lee - snake tounge
    hok juey - crane hand
    tao chuan - knife hand
    [ gar] styles
    choy, lee, mok, fut, hung
    [ animals]
    fu tiger
    lung - dragon
    hok - crane
    pao - leopard
    shir - snake
    My spelling or pronunciation is probably wrong but these are phonetically taken as Master Wong spoke them in cantonese.
    Thanks for reading , Sifu Jim.
    Btw, I found some old pictures of the early days, one picture is with Jimmy Woo,San Soo fame standing in front of Sifu's store & another of my wife & Sifu Wong in San Francisco.