Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Cliff

Red Cliff

John Woo's Three Kingdoms epic seems to be really struggling.

Chow Yun-Fat Walks Off John Woo's 'Red Cliff' During Production
    Posted Apr 17th 2007 1:01PM by Christopher Campbell

The image It made perfect sense: John Woo's return to Chinese-language cinema was to star Chow Yun-Fat, who last collaborated with the director on the Hong Kong action classic Hard Boiled. The new film (or films, as it might be too long for just one), titled The Battle of Red Cliff, is an historical war epic set in the year 208, and Chow was to play Zhou Yu, the chief strategist for the Kingdom of Wu. But Chow has just walked off the production, which has already begun shooting, and the actor and the producers have different interpretations of why he has left so abruptly.

According to Chow, his departure was due to his inability to prepare for the role; he claims he only last week received the script. Producer Terence Chang, on the other hand, says that Chow's demands were too high and that he walked because he didn't get what he wanted. The script handed to Chow last week was merely a revision to one the actor had been given last year. Another topic of conflict is Chow's salary. According to the actor, he took a pay cut and was being paid in installments. Chang says the actor was to be paid $5 million plus royalties.

Chow also pointed out that his contract followed the model he uses on Hollywood films and implied that Red Cliff's producers need to get used to the way things are done in Hollywood. As if abandoning the director who made him an international star wasn't enough, he had to go and confirm that he's now too important to go back to his roots. Of course, anyone familiar with Bulletproof Monk and Anna and the King can attest to Chow's true significance to Hollywood's audiences. Chow is now the third big name to be removed from Red Cliff; previously Ken Watanabe and Tony Leung were also involved, but each dropped out for different reasons. Anyway, if you were really dying to see another collaboration between Woo and Chow, there's always the new video game Stranglehold, which hits stores this summer.
    Here's an earlier post
    Woo Casts Four in The Battle of Red Cliff

John Woo has cast Chow Yun-Fat, Ken Watanabe, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai and Taiwanese supermodel Lin Chi-Ling in his Chinese costumer, The Battle of Red Cliff, a co-production with the China Film Group.

Based on the classic Chinese novel “Romance of the Three Kingdoms,” the film is set in the final days of the Han Dynasty in the year 208 and covers the war that established the Three Kingdoms period, when China had three rulers.

Historians reckon 1 million soldiers took part in the original battle of Red Cliff. Woo plans to set up six units to simultaneously shoot various scenes for the war epic.

Woo is again teaming with longtime associate Terence Chang to make the film, which is aiming for release in the runup to the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

“Red Cliff” is due to start shooting in March from a screenplay by Wang Hui-ling (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i think i talked about this on another thread

yeah i've been talking about it for a while. the cast keeps switching up because of scheduling chow yun fat was gonna be in it but he droped out and people keep leaving and coming back. gotta friend who is working on this and he said, that he mentioned to john that there is a very popular game in the us based off of the novel, he was intrigued by it. that actually might be the selling point for the states. but the chinese version is gonna be released in two two hour parts and where just gonna get one film. which sucks

I know Doug

I was tempted to pluck some of your posts about this on other threads and compile them here, but it was too complicated. Nevertheless, I think Red Cliff needs its own thread here, so now you have a place to post them.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

more

http://bp0.blogger.com/_sta5TiWPdIs/...battlecost.jpg

the last one is of the actor playing cao cao

even more

here some secret pics of takeshi kaneshiro as zhuge liang, can't say where i got it. cause the person might get in trouble if it was known it was him but he posted it on his site so:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/869/3948553qa7.jpg
    http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8379/1825462vb3.jpg
    http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4308/1825461ti0.jpg

oh and

jus to let everyone no just heard it from a credible source, chow yun fat has rejoined the cast but has a smaller role.

ttt

It's been a while since we've had a RC update
    "Red Cliff" stands tall as pressure piles on
    Written by Clifford Coonan
    Thursday, 13 September 2007

BEIJING -- The John Woo-helmed "Red Cliff," Asia's biggest movie production ever -- and one of its most beleaguered -- plans to wrap on schedule. But a lot of challenges still lie ahead for the pic, securing North American distribution and living up to the high expectations of the Chinese government among them.

Extremes of weather have taken an epic toll. Shooting in the dry summer heat was a challenge in the northern China desert locations, while torrential rains washed away part of an outdoor set for the film in Hebei.

Budget for the film is "south of $80 million," according to Terence Chang, the pic's producer and Woo's partner in Lion Rock Entertainment. That's an enormous sum when a budget of a few million is considered high in most Asian countries.

Coin came from four Asian equity investors: China Film Group, CMC Entertainment in Taiwan, Avex in Japan and South Korea's Showbox.

"Things are doing fine. We've still got about a month to shoot; we expect to wrap end of October, maybe mid-November," Chang said.

It's Woo's first Chinese-language project after many years in Hollywood, helming projects such as "Broken Arrow," "Face/Off" and "Mission: Impossible II."

The screenplay by Woo Chan Khan, Guo Zheng and Sheng Heyu is for a four-hour film. For Asian territories, pic is to be split into two parts, with the first skedded for release in July and the second in December 2008.

Auds in other territories will receive a single movie, expected to clock in at 2½ hours, which will probably be released in December next year. Pic, repped in international territories by L.A.-based Summit Entertainment, was widely sold at the February edition of the European Film Market.

"We've already sold it to a lot of European territories, but we are holding back on North America because people have a wrong impression about Chinese films there. They think of 'Hero' and 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,' so we want to show them the movie when it's finished," Chang said.

Industry sources said a lot of money is being sought for the North American rights, and studios are holding back, wary following the less-than-spectacular international performances of Chinese martial-arts pics.

Before the weather problems, the movie, based on the classic Chinese novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms," was dogged by personnel issues.

Tony Leung Chiu-wai dropped out of the film in March; then Chow Yun-fat exited. That brought Leung back in the lead role.

Cast also includes Takashi Kanashiro, Zhang Fengyi, Chiling Lin, Chang Chen, Vicky Zhao and Hu Jun.

The Chinese government desperately wants the movie to be a success as it will showcase the nation's history ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Chang said.

Craig Hayes is visual effects supervisor, brought in by the Orphanage. Most of the principal CGI will be done in San Francisco.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i fell out of love with this film

i think it will be a success here, i know they gonna change the name to dynasty warriors for the american release. it's being kept hush hush but thats the plan since theres already a succesfull video game franshise to bank on. but although this is woo's first film in a while and i was so hyped about this movie because it had so many good actors. it fell off, all the big name asian actoprs that u would love to see in a film fled and from what i hear its bad producing which strange cause tarrence change is usually on the ball. how this film will i'm thinking of a japnese film right now with alot of big battle but i don;t remeber the name it was a kurasowa flick. and i know woo is going to pay homage to him. i hope its good, and i hope to see some two swords action in place of the guns.lol
    Last edited by doug maverick; 09-21-2007 at 05:58 AM.

You thinking RAN ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

yeah that was it thanks.

3-D live TV?

Another update. I'm still into this project. It's a good excuse to reread Three Kingdoms.

China channel pumps up 'Cliff'
    CCTV to broadcast footage from Woo film
    By CLIFFORD COONAN
    BEIJING -- The movie channel of Chinese state broadcaster CCTV will broadcast 2½ hours of live footage from the set of John Woo's latest pic, "Red Cliff," which is shooting near Beijing.

China Film, one of the investors in what is the most expensive Asian movie of all time with a budget of $80 million, told the Beijing Times that CCTV's movie channel would show the "real-time film sequence" on Nov. 17 and pic's stars would be present on that day.

Funding for "Red Cliff" comes entirely from independent producers in the region -- China Film, CMC Entertainment in Taiwan, Avex in Japan and South Korea's Showbox.

Shooting began in April, and the pic marks a return to Chinese-language movies for Woo. Shooting in China has been dogged by bad weather, and the project has had to overcome some serious casting changes, with longtime Woo collaborator Chow Yun-fat dropping out and Tony Leung leaving and then returning to the production.

Other Asian stars taking part in the pic include Takeshi Kaneshiro, Zhang Fengyi, Chiling Lin, Chang Chen, Vicky Zhao and Hu Jun. All will feature in the live broadcast, the report said.

"Red Cliff" is based on a segment of the sprawling classic Chinese novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" and is set in the final days of the Han Dynasty, in the year 208, covering the war that established the Three Kingdoms period, when China had three rulers.

Film experts and historians will be on hand to explain certain cinema techniques and the historical background to the story, and the live broadcast will incorporate 20 documentary films to help educate auds, it said.

The production is moving to Yixian Reservoir in Hebei to shoot the climax of the movie, and the Movie Channel will broadcast a number of sequences of the shooting, promising "multi-angle and 3-D live broadcast, revolving around the working scenes."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, you know we are all going to find a way to get ahold of the 2 part Chinese version.

Also, I love to play Dynasty Warriors with a friend.

pics & vids

Go to the article for the pics and links to the sina.com vids.

'Red Cliff' Stills and Videos

China’s CCTV Movie Channel broadcasts 150 minutes of real time film sequence of the movie ‘Red Cliff’ on November 17 (Saturday). It is the first time in China's television history to broadcast such a long, large-scale and real time film sequence. Tony Leung acting as Zhou Yu, Hu Jun acting as Zhao Yun, and Chang Chen acting as Sun Quan are on site. Takeshi Kaneshiro acting as Zhuge Liang, Chiling acting as Xiao Qiao, and Zhao Wei acting as Sun Shangxiang are absent.

Red Cliff, directed by John Woo, is the most expensive movie in Asian film history. It has become the focus of media attention since it was launched this April. You can see the videos on Sina.com (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

man i hope this film does well. with john i'm sure it'll be good we haven't really scene him do his thing in a while.