Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please Make An 'off Topic' Area!

Attn: Gene Ching

Hi Gene.

This forum is a very good place...most of the time. My compliments on keeping things in order.

Now, the reason I am writing is about the different subtopics that you have here. All are related to Kung Fu (yes because this is a KMF) and all the categories are very inclusive. However, I've noticed recently that there are a lot of "OT" posts in the Kung Fu Forum. I'm guessing that is because that is THE place where there are the most viewers and posters.

You have everything divided very nicely, even a neat little spot for non-Chinese martial arts and media. So, my question is why not have a category solely for "OT's." It would be a place to chat about non-kung fu or non-TCMA and for people to just rant or tell about what happened to them (anecdotes can be entertaining). RD's Alias talked about driving into a ditch (it was the last thing that I remember that was off topic). It was very humorous but stuff like that should be in a separate category. If people want to tell of encounters with women at a bar, then the open topic lounge would be a good place for that (just a hypothetical example) or some Youtube clip that is unrelated to martial arts.

Of course, this is only a suggestion. It would further serve as a venue to organize all the random stuff that people tend to post. I hope that the main idea is clear.

So Gene, do you think that is a viable option that you could make happen here?

Thanks for your time.

PS...This post is intended solely for the designated recipient.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

The Kung Fu forum IS the off topic general topic "Lounge".

The truth of things is this, we have already talked about EVERY possible martial arts subject so many times it's not even funny. If it wasn't for off topic discussions, this forum wold be dead.

This is the forum for Kung Fu people to meet and have discussions. It's not specifically for Kung Fu topics, but for Kung Fu people to discuss any topic.

just about all the forums that I know Chinese or english with Kung fu related sites

they all have off topic areas.

the Hong Kong kung fu boards call ot area the water blowing area, chui shui qu.

there are a lot hot girls pics.

the mainland Chinese boards even Wushu 2008, or kuo shu sites

they all have ot areas.

--

I usually stay clear of the areas.

STFU N00b!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    just about all the forums that I know Chinese or english with Kung fu related sites

they all have off topic areas.

the Hong Kong kung fu boards call ot area the water blowing area, chui shui qu.

there are a lot hot girls pics.

the mainland Chinese boards even Wushu 2008, or kuo shu sites

they all have ot areas.

--

I usually stay clear of the areas.

That suggestion is preety cool
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    The Kung Fu forum IS the off topic general topic "Lounge".

The truth of things is this, we have already talked about EVERY possible martial arts subject so many times it's not even funny. If it wasn't for off topic discussions, this forum wold be dead.

This is the forum for Kung Fu people to meet and have discussions. It's not specifically for Kung Fu topics, but for Kung Fu people to discuss any topic.
    Thank you for replying. What you say makes sense in this context because that is exactly what I see here! However I'm sure this forum is for Kung Fu People to discuss Kung Fu...that would be the logical thought. I don't doubt you all have touched a plethora of kung fu topics but for people who are still joining or who may want to create more discussions on said touched subjects, they should be able to do so. I'm sure we get new people all the time and in some way, Kung fu does evolve even though it is heavily into tradition (just throwing something hypothetical out there).

I'm sure the forum would be dead but the viewer-ship and participatation on the site would most likely remain the same. I tend to see the same people post and troll most of the time so this site definitely does have its regular group of misfits.

Not even just this site, even in other forums, there are off topic areas where people have a chance to post stuff which range from interesting anecdotes, to blogging, ranting or just completely random thoughts. Like I said before, it was for the sake of organization and to make things flow. A designated off topic forum would allow chaos and entropy to be contained in an isolated environment and those who wish to partake in such things will continue to do so (oh the madness!)
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Talking Gracias

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    That suggestion is preety cool
    Thank you. Thank you. I suggested it for the benefit of everyone.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Her was talking about the suggestion of having more hot chick pics.

Your suggestion blows

If you got a kung fu topic post it, nobody is stopping you, but you dont ,so as a wise man once said STFU!
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    Her was talking about the suggestion of having more hot chick pics.

Your suggestion blows

If you got a kung fu topic post it, nobody is stopping you, but you dont ,so as a wise man once said STFU!
    I made the last statement in jest FYI. It seem my attempt at levity was wasted.

Yeah, it is not a kung fu topic. Maybe i should have put "OT" in front of the title, which seems to be the common practice. Then there would be less complaining?

Nobody has stopped me from posting any kung fu topics (but not the subject of my thread). However, I try to post them in a place where it could make sense.

Nothing else written warrants a response.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    STFU N00b!

Ditto (10 characters)

anyone try the spicy baconator?
    Bless you

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    dude, we passed 3 billboards after class today, all with the spicy baconator on them....we still opted for margaritas and fajitas though.

I foresee one in my lunch menu sometime this week.

I will also recommend Hardee's little double bacon cheeseburger melt...a little handful of greasy delight!

and while we're on the subject of bacon:

DO NOT be fooled by Digiorno's Bacon Cheeseburger pizza. It is possibly the worst frozen pizza ever.

Mr. Chinese Character Guy: I'm sorry for my fellow moderator's rudeness. He's gone over to the darkside of MMA so he is to be excused for the roid rages.

However, the subject of an "OT Forum" has been discussed ad nauseum...much as RD said that pretty much everything kung fu oriented has been discussed (and dissed and cussed, for that matter). It is, however, a moderately free forum and you can post any topic of kung fu that you want feedback on. If you see the "OT" then you can assume it's not about kung fu and don't waste time clicking that button.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Stfu Noob....nice Way To Welcome Someone New With A Suggestion. Unless You're In The Special Club Here, Posting About Your Stupid Car And A Baconator (spicy) You're Told To Go F Yourself. If You Can See By My Join Date I Been Here A While With Few Posts...what Really Helps Is There A Neat Function On Here That You Can Add People To An Ignore List...which I'm Adding To Today.

The Board Does Have Good Threads And The Search Engine Is Neat For Looking Up Topics.

Oso, Thanks For Your Post Helping A New Guy Out...always Class With Your Posts. Are You Going To The Great Lakes Touney This Year? You Take Your School Right? Maybe I Meet You.

Sw

Ps I Dont Wanna Hear How I Should't Type In Caps Either...when Caps Is On It's On.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    just playing good cop to MK

yea, we'll be there. just booked the room at the suite hotel the other day.

i'll be the big ugly guy in shorts and flip flops.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Moderator also will forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses neither will your moderator forgive your trespasses.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    dude, we passed 3 billboards after class today, all with the spicy baconator on them....we still opted for margaritas and fajitas though.

I foresee one in my lunch menu sometime this week.

I will also recommend Hardee's little double bacon cheeseburger melt...a little handful of greasy delight!

and while we're on the subject of bacon:

DO NOT be fooled by Digiorno's Bacon Cheeseburger pizza. It is possibly the worst frozen pizza ever.

Mr. Chinese Character Guy: I'm sorry for my fellow moderator's rudeness. He's gone over to the darkside of MMA so he is to be excused for the roid rages.

However, the subject of an "OT Forum" has been discussed ad nauseum...much as RD said that pretty much everything kung fu oriented has been discussed (and dissed and cussed, for that matter). It is, however, a moderately free forum and you can post any topic of kung fu that you want feedback on. If you see the "OT" then you can assume it's not about kung fu and don't waste time clicking that button.
    Well, just "Playing" good cop, eh? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interpret that...

Being told to keep quiet (paraphrase) by members has no bearing. It is not the first nor the last time where people have disagreed with me. However, when a Moderator was the first to 'cast the stone', I was a bit taken back because it was something I didn't expect from a person in that position. And there was no explanation as to why such a suggestion would garner such tremendous opposition. All the members who piggy-backed off his quote don't have merit because there was no attempt at a counter or exactly why they did not agree with my suggestion. Or just that the were trying (keyword) to bust the chops of the new member...?

It is not that I was wasting time clicking on OTs. Like I said before, I think some of them are very humorous (ie RD's venture into a ditch). Someone who is fairly new here would find it a bit strange that OTs keep popping up in a forum designated for a specific topic.

RD was polite enough to explain that the kung fu forum is also the OT one and you clarified even more that this subject (of trying to enact a special OT forum) has already been discussed before I made my appearance here...which is the sentiment that I get from both of you. Well, it goes to show what a little courtesy and politeness will accomplish.

PS*I would still be interested in what Gene has to say about this...(OT?)
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)