Thread: Bent but not bent?

Bent but not bent?

I trained in martial arts for many years but have not been very active over the last couple years due to injury. The two shifus I have trained under talked alot about the concept of "bent but not bent", "hard but soft", etc. in our physical moves as well as life in general. I really like this concept, and have been trying to find written information on this philosophy for a project I am doing. Does anyone know where I can find more information on this? Is there a specific chinese character or characters that represent this concept? Or is there a specific term for it? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe the yin/yang symbol?

Yeah, you're probably right. That probably does describe it best. I was just wondering if there was a more specific name for it. When throwing a punch, the elbow appears completely locked, but there is an imperceptible bend to it. The concept implies taking something nearly to an extreme, but always stopping just short of it to maintain the best of both worlds. Is that just yin/yang? Also, does anyone know how to write "bent but not bent" or "hard but soft" using chinese characters? It seems like there would be a special way to write this concept without just doing a literal translation.

Hum, I would have to agree with Adventure427 on the Yin/Yang but maybe there is another way that it is expressed.

The True Nature Of Bent

Behold. I am BentMonk. One's perspective must be bent in order to master the deadly essence of the bent style. Sorry I couldn't help myself. I agree with the yin/yang comparison.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    My thinking is that you are noticing two symbols that contrast with each other. Yet if you really look at a Yin-Yang symbol~ it might express what you seem to seek as there is a dot of each, in the curved drop that is the other.

I might recommend phrase books with Chinese sayings or a sayings book these can be four word communications used often to convey thoughts or an idea they might have explainations with them. Read through.

I No_Know

If there is 99%certainty then there is 01% doubt~ the concept mightbe 100% because when there is two in the concept of 100% you get Balance. Shift in Balance. Finding the proper Balance...Balance might be a thingie.

No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 05-19-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: adding paragraph
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

It's a great topic. Many people like to take things to the extreme. If something is good, more must be better. In Kung Fu, (and life) it's just not true. The yin/yang sort of show this but in a different perspective. That in the extreme, you get to the slight of the opposite. Also, that in everything, there is a touch of the opposite.

For me, I've been using the phrase, "It's all about the baby bear" Stemming from reading to my children, it's not too hard and not too soft but just right.

In Hung Gar, this is captured with one of the 12 bridges, Lau Kiu. Translated as reserve, it exactly means that you are straight but not straight, bent but not bent, etc.

The Taijitu is a funny thing.

It doesn't represent two things, it represents one thing.

"As a force reaches it's extreme, it already contains within itself the seed of its own opposite."

that's the Yin Yang symbol explanation that is often given in chinese, I don't know the characters though.

Force = energy

Smile

The phrase is: 曲中求直 (qu zhong qiu zhi). It refers to the limbs being straight but the joints aren't locked. 曲 is bent or curved, and 直 zhi is straight

Then you have 剛中帶柔 (gang zhong dai rou) or 柔中寓剛 (rou zhong yu gang) - within rigidity there is fluidity

陰陽 (yin yang) as terms refer to qualititvie sides of attribute; while, 剛柔 (gang rou) as terms refer to quantitive sides of attribute.

曲直 (observable) as a term is similar to the term 陰陽 (conceptual) but there is a notable difference.

hope this helps

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thanks for all the responses. Definitely helpful.

Just did a little more research and doesn't this really fit into the taoist concept of "wei wu wei", or "action without action"? Isn't that just another variation of bent but not bent, etc.?