Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

Question Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story What is this weapon?

I know this movie wasn't very acurate and stuff but I really liked it but anyway that's not what I came here to ask. I don't know how many of you have seen the movie, and I'm sorry, I've tried but I just can't find the scene onlin. But there's this scene in the beginning of the movie, while Bruce is still in Hong Kong, in some dancing club I think and these two, I think British, soldiers end up fighting with him. Anyway, he uses a weapon that I've never seen but found it really interesting, I suppose they're kind of like nunchaku but they are different, imagine a nunchaku with small metal sticks at the end instead of long ones and in between them is a very long chain, not a short one like the nunchaku. I don't know if my description is very good but hopefully someone here will know what I'm talking about and let me know about this weapon. I'm going crazy here lol, what is it?

Peace
    Last edited by zippo_88; 05-16-2007 at 06:54 PM.
    "Jeet Kune Do is the art not founded on technique or doctrine. It is just as you are." -Bruce Lee

It's called a chain whip. Very common Chinese weapon. You can find one in the Martial Arts Mart catalog. Search YouTube for examples of it being used.

http://www.martialartsmart.net/Exotic_Weapons.html
    If you scroll down towards the center of the page, there are two nine-section and two seven-section chain whips.
    Last edited by The Xia; 05-27-2007 at 01:32 PM.

wasnt the one in the movie just regualar chain links tho? if i remember correctly.

not like traditional chinese chain whips. more like small nunchaku links with a handle and a small weight at one end.

i liked that weapon scene too...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

it reminded me of a kama and chain but without the kama...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    wasnt the one in the movie just regualar chain links tho? if i remember correctly.

not like traditional chinese chain whips. more like small nunchaku links with a handle and a small weight at one end.

i liked that weapon scene too...
    Yeah I guess it wasnŽt a traditional weapon after all. It did seem more like small nunchakus with a long chain, oh well I found it really interesting, the scene was great. I just thought that was an actual weapon. Like PanQuan said it reminded me of a kama and chain but without the kama. oh well. I guess IŽll never know.
    "Jeet Kune Do is the art not founded on technique or doctrine. It is just as you are." -Bruce Lee

i was really fond of that weapon when i saw it too...

maybe i will make one. should be easy enough.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Just going from memory here, but wasn't the weapon he used basically what is known in Japan as a manriki gusari? That is my recollection ...

Here is some info on Japanese chain weapons, including the kusari gama (aka kama with chain): http://www.yorkjitsu.org/jitsu/weapons/chain/

Not going to promote other martial arts equiment dealers on this website, but this weapon can be purchased from many different places for less than $20.
    Last edited by Li Kao; 05-30-2007 at 03:15 AM.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

I can't remember that scene

There's only one thing that I really remember about Dragon. It was Lauren Holly in lingerie.

We do sell manriki gusari, but they are illegal in some states.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene you sly dog you

This is pretty similar to what we are talking about

http://www.extremely-sharp.com/es/images/20004a.jpg

i also like the one at the bottom of this picture.
    http://www.ninjaa.com/minor.weapons.jpg

EDIT: though if i'm not mistaken the one in the movie was a bit more "sleak" on the hand grip and weight. they seemed to be palm sized and of a rounded wood possibly.

i need to go put that movie in the DVD player and find out......maybe later
    Last edited by PangQuan; 05-30-2007 at 04:22 PM.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Blog Entries
    Wasn't it the flushing handle and chain of a toilet? LOL
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Li Kao View Post
    Just going from memory here, but wasn't the weapon he used basically what is known in Japan as a manriki gusari? That is my recollection ...

Here is some info on Japanese chain weapons, including the kusari gama (aka kama with chain): http://www.yorkjitsu.org/jitsu/weapons/chain/

Not going to promote other martial arts equiment dealers on this website, but this weapon can be purchased from many different places for less than $20.

You know what, I think you got it, I have never heard of this weapon but reading its description on the site you gave the link to I think it might be a manriki gusari.

14. [QUOTE=GeneChing;766658]There's only one thing that I really remember about Dragon. It was Lauren Holly in lingerie.

I couldn't have said it better myself...
    "april" wasnt so bad either, and the fight behind the kitchen rocked
    martial arts and music share the same principles, both wrestle with complex chords and rare melodies.
    http://www.myspace.com/punkrockmantis

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. What style did Bruces' opponent do?

I was not sure if Bruce had already modified his Wing Chun by the time he fought Master Wong Jack Man(who I am told the fight is modeled after for the movie), or if he had added other arts by that time back in the day.

Does anyone know the style that his opponent was using? Though it is obvious it is not Wing Chun, does anyone know what the other man is doing?(besides losing that is)