Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

Quote Originally Posted by teetsao View Post
    in the "real life" confrontation, arent here conflicting stories as to how the fight really went down. isnt it the linda lee/bruce lee camp who always gets to tell their side on tv?? i wonder how jack mans camp feels about this and if he is still alive, sounds like he won in the end, reguardless.
    ive heard a bit form his side apparently he was too afraid to use his northern kicks on lee because he coudl have killed him

it was likely an unimpressive fight from both men and ended in a draw

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Blog Entries
    According to David Chin who claims to have been present during the fight stated that wong jack man backpeddled and tripped over a step and bruce took advantage of that. but, regardless of the outcome of the fight, wong jack man NEVER stopped teaching.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    Were you asking about what specifically they used in the movie, or about the martial arts of the actual real life person the character was supposed to be based on?

Regardless of how the fight ended, it's pretty clear that it wasn't as easy for Bruce as the status quo would have people believe. There's no way that he would have changed his whole way of thinking towards MA, conditioning, etc., to the point of OCD by easily pounding another guy into submission.

bruce lee said he punched wangjieming in the back of the head 20 times and still couldnt knock him out and gassed out. its pretty clear what happened.

wangjieming panicked and tripped, lucky for him bruce lee has the punching power of of a small baby animal. both side lost
    Last edited by bawang; 11-06-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post

Yea, but this tranny Thai Boxing b1tch just kept talking sh1t....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

who muay thai tranny? i am arouse

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

"Were you asking about what specifically they used in the movie, or about the martial arts of the actual real life person the character was supposed to be based on?"

Good point. Yeah..I meant about what style was his opponent doing in THE MOVIE?

As for Master Wong Jack Man..I don't know. Someone mentioned to me in passing that the character Jason Scott Lee fought in the movie was supposed to the Wong Jack Man(in the movie..I think he was renamed "Johnny Sun" or something). I have no idea. My understanding is the Bruce liked to fight just for fighting sake..so maybe he really DID fight a guy named Johnny Sun in real life???

Here's an article that was published in Black belt mag on the subject: http://www.lakungfu.com/sifujackmanwong.html

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Yea, but this tranny Thai Boxing b1tch just kept talking sh1t....
    that bullshido poster?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

The Style That Beat Bruce Lee

Beishaolin, Northern Shaolin was used to defeat Bruce Lee by Grandmaster Wong Jack Man.

Wong Jack Man had struck Bruce Lee in the back of the head.

The point position for the palm chop after the 'gold chick single stand' is fatal and causes death sooner or later when sharply struck.

And I believe BL got this kind of injury and his bruise in his head led him to death. Perhaps it was caused by WJM's palm strike.

Most Jute Kuen Do people think that Wing Chun is mainly about trapping when in fact trapping only makes up about 2 percent of the art and is only used if the opportunity creates itself. I can see no reason why JKD places non Wing Chun footwork with Wing Chun hands, something that defies the point of the Wing Chun elbow position and power generation in the first place.

Bruce Lee, declared Wing Chun impractical after this match. Bruce's own account has him chasing after Wong hitting the back of his head etc and becoming unusually winded. For a start, why was he chasing after Wong in that manner? It's odd to use the Wing Chun punches and methods in a way they were never meant to be used and then complain they didn't work.

Next, Bruce claimed the fight took three minutes. Three minutes of continuous aggressive fighting would take the wind out of most people. From Lee's own accounts of this fight, let alone Wong's, it is clear upon examination that he had a lot to learn and did not go about things in the right way, 'at the time of that fight'.

Bruce Lee was so impressed with Wong Jack Man's skills that he wrote to WJM's teacher and requested lessons. GM Ma Kim Fung turned him away, But Bruce Lee found and convinced Shui Hon Sang, who was an older classmate of GM Ma. GM Shui taught BL at least two sets, Kung Lick Chuan and Jie Chuan (Jeet Kuan).

There is a 8mm film of Bruce Lee doing Bei Shaolin #5 or attempting to perform BSL#5. He paid someone to film Wong Jack Man who was demonstrating BSL#5 and then BL learned from that film. Bruce Lee then had himself filmed doing the same set but from what I understand the quality was obviously not the same.

If Bruce Lee won the fight as he claimed, then why did he adapt the fighting methods of the loser? Ever other martial artist studies the methods of the winner.

' I must point out here that the true reason Bruce (who was my student when he lived in Culver City and I was chief instructor of martial arts at Loyola University) started Jeet Kune Do was because he was unable to achieve instructor rank in ANY form of martial art.....so he went out and took bits and pieces and created his own.

I also have the first article he ever wrote for publication (for me when I was associate editor at Black Belt magazine). It was so poor we sent it back, an act that angered him to no end at that time. But once he moved here to get into movies and TV he realized he had no power ..... speed but no results. That's what he wanted from me.
    There is an internal side to the martial arts....esp. the Chinese arts which later were streamlined by the Japanese who lost the sense of internal until ch'an came to Japan as zen and they saw it as the perfect paradox of internal skill and killing.......but it is not what most are being taught today. It all changed in the mid 60s when people outside the Asian communities began to learn about martial arts....then came the prostitution, phony rankings, made-up school names and everything else that makes true MA so difficult to find these days.
    b (Ven. Dr. An Tzu; Thich An Tri)
    '
    By Dr. William Upton-Knittle
    (Dr. William Upton-Knittle, senior coordinator of the UCLA Office of Summer Sessions Advertising and Marketing, was invited by government officials of the People's Republic of China to help plan fund-raising for a project known as the Dr. Sun Yat-sen Victory Memorial.)
    From: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...rts/message/24

Dr. William Upton-Knittle also taught the Developemental Psychology of the world renown Jean Piaget. He is also listed in Who's Who in America three times. We had a number of discussions about Bruce Lee, in the late 1990s.

There was a strong Japanese influence in Bruce Lee, since his main sparring partner and closest friends was Taki Kimura. Taki Kimura, delivered the eulogy at Bruce Lee's funeral. Bruce Lee's style is called Jeet Kuen Do, Do, is a Japanese term for school, or path. Many people Jeet Kuen Do are unfamiliar with some of the higher level Japanese sparring methods, and assume Bruce Lee invented them, when introduced to them for the first time in Jeet Kuen Do. Even some Shotokan associations, at their higher levels, have some soft, and/or internal methods.

"Bruce Lee, and thus JKD was heavily influenced by Western boxing and fencing. Although the backbone concepts (such as centerline, vertical punching, and forward pressure) come from Wing Chun, Lee stopped using the Wing Chun stances in favor of what he considered to be more fluid/flexible fencing and boxing stances."

Most empty hand martial artists are unfamiliar with the boxing and fencing stances as applied to sparring, so they assume they are unique to Jeet Kuen Do, which is a mistake. "

Bruce Lee's martial background was not traditional Chinese Kung Fu, even his study under Wing Chun's Yip Man, was less than two years. Yip Man did not consider Bruce Lee a serious student.

Advanced martial techniques and energies, are based on a continual regimen of training lasting decades. Bruce Lee never studied at any school long enough to take advantage of this. Bruce Lee ended up spending much time 'reinventing the wheel'.

Any techniques in Bruce Lee's style were based on only his experience. Some have used Thai Boxing, and Filipino Martial Arts with Jeet Kun Do; but since there has never been any world class

Martial Artist to have been produced by Jeet Kun Do alone, it is questionable whether any of Bruce Lee's self taught methods, are of any use to anyone else, except as basic self defense.

LaterthanNever
    Junior Member Join Date: Sep 2002

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. What style did Bruces' opponent do?

animated GIFs of Jason Scott lee in Dragon: Bruce Lee Story

2nd set of animated GIFs I made of Jason Scott Lee from Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

3 more here:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/12...om-dragon.html

Enjoy!

HBD Brandon

FEBRUARY 01, 2018 6:30am PT by Ryan Parker
    Brandon Lee Turned Down Role to Play His Father in 'Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story'

Getty Images
    Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee, in 1992.

The late actor would have turned 53 on Feb. 1.

The late Brandon Lee was once offered the chance to play his father, the late martial arts legend Bruce Lee, on film — but the young actor felt it would have been wrong.

In an undated interview unearthed by Heat Vision to commemorate what would have been Brandon Lee's 53 birthday on Thursday, the son of Bruce Lee discussed why he passed on the lead role in the 1993 hit Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

"I was a little scared by the whole thing, really," Brandon Lee once explained. "It's strange to play your own father, you know. I couldn't really wrap my mind around it."

Both men tragically died far too young. Bruce Lee died in 1973 at the age of 32 from an allergic reaction. Brandon Lee died in 1993 at the age of 28 during an action sequence gone wrong due to crew negligence during production of The Crow.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, directed Rob Cohen, is a biographical drama about the life of Bruce Lee, which ultimately stared Jason Scott Lee (no relation to the iconic Lee family) in the title role.

Brandon Lee said that had he been older, perhaps the situation would be different.

"It's funny, too, because to tell you the truth, if it had come along later in my career, I might have more seriously considered it," he said in then. "But as it is, it is so early in my career, it's the kind of thing I just feel like it could be a career ender."

In the same interview, Brandon Lee said he turned down plenty of offers for action movies because he wanted to be a proper actor and not typecast.

Check out the interview and a trailer for Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, below:
    Trailer posted in next post.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Continued from previous post

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart