Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warlords

Warlords

okay lets talk about this pink elephant jet li's next period martial arts film warlords, starring himself andy lau and takechi kaneshiro. yes jet li said he wouldn't do those movies anymore but come on lets face we're glad he is. well the plot of this film goes something like this:

It's a heroic tale of three blood brothers and their struggle in the midst of war and political upheaval. It is based on "The Assassination of Ma," a Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) story about the killing of general Ma Xinyi.

The story was filmed by Chang Che in 1973 as The Blood Brothers, here is the original plot for master changs film:

The story follows three men--Chang, Huang and Ma. The former two are good friends and partners in crime, who make a living stealing from travellers, but Ma is a refined man with great ambition and a desire for power and fame. Chang and Huang, despite having different goals to Ma, become his close friends and join forces with him to conquer a rebel outpost, receiving the surrender of a small army of warriors. All seems to be going well, until an affair starts between Ma and Huang's wife, but is cut short by his decision to join the army, where he can finally make a name for himself. Ma's success in battle leads him to fame and he requests the aid of his two good friends, Huang and Chang, in crushing rebels. But power proves more important to Ma than friendship...

The fight choreography is consistently outstanding, from the lighthearted opening fight scene to the stunning, emotionally charged finale. Weapons are put to good use, Chang's use of the three-section staff stands out in particular. Slow motion is also used well, especially in the last battle.

Production values seem surprisingly high, with thousands of extras, weapons and costumes on display. The sets are well made, although some outdoor scenes are obviously filmed inside a studio.

Despite some minor flaws, THE BLOOD BROTHERS stands out as a highly memorable martial arts epic, with a more involved plot than the usual kung fu movie. Chang Cheh was a talented director and the THE BLOOD BROTHERS is one of his classics.

because jet is the only martial artist on board i don't expect the action scene to come close to changs movie but i'll see it anyway.

im with you. glad its being made.

i think andy lau is da bomb actor too so it should have some decent acting in there. mix up andy lau and jet li. good acting and some good action should follow.

thanks for posting this, i had no idea this was being done.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Hold the phone

They're calling it WARLORDS? Oh man.

So let me see if I got this straight. Jet has WAR coming out September 14, 2007 and now WARLORDS coming out December 2007. I'm so glad Jet got out of the martial arts movie biz. He was starting to get typecast.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    They're calling it WARLORDS? Oh man.

So let me see if I got this straight. Jet has WAR coming out September 14, 2007 and now WARLORDS coming out December 2007. I'm so glad Jet got out of the martial arts movie biz. He was starting to get typecast.
    rofl...so true.

well i guess at the end of all that he wasnt suppose to make any more martial art epics

so i guess warlords wont be an epic
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

actually that exactly what it is!

and i think he said he wouldn't do any folk hero movie's. which doesn't matter cause this movie is a folk hero movie and an epic

The loophole is WAR

I have carefully reviewed my interview with Jet on the subject and I have discovered the loophole:

GC: FEARLESS is billed as your "final martial arts epic," but the buzz is that you're doing ROGUE. Why isn't that a martial arts film?

JL: I think (the) martial arts have two parts. Usually, when we talk about the physical, one is external, one is internal. But whatever is external or internal, they are both the physical part. If you want to be a martial artist, we talk about the mental. Through martial arts, you learn how to be a nice person.

We see a lot of action films – waaah! – they only use the physical part on the film. You can make all kinds of action films. You can use martial arts to talk about your own story. That story doesn't talk about how to be a nice person. I think (this is) a big difference if you want to be the martial artist. FEARLESS talks (about) this very deeply: how to learn martial arts, why learn martial arts, how to use martial arts, how to be the martial artist. Not so many movies can talk about that subject.

Unless the movie has the word WAR in the title. If it has the word WAR, then I will still do it, whether it is a martial arts movie or not.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

oh

so he's he's saying that the subject matter is not about kung fu but it just has kung fu in t. well thats what i figured he was talking about, but he's doing that journey to the west film with jack and thats about kung fu the subject matter is kung fu here is the plot:

A discovery made by a kung fu obsessed American teen sends him on an adventure to China, where he joins up with a band of martial arts warriors in order to free the imprisoned Monkey King.

so that throws that theeory out the window well, i said this in another post and outline how the conversation would go when he went to those hollywood execs and talked about not doing actions movies anymore. to quote myself:

jet li: i don't want to do martial arts films no more i want to do regular acting!

producers: B!tch you can't act you better stick to kicking and punching thas what you do.

jet li: but i'm tired of it and my knees hurt!

producer(pulls out contract): well this here says we got five more film out your ass, and trust me there not going to be no romance comedy with, jennifer aniston. hey don't you wushu guys have a saying "eat bitter"

jet li : yeah and?

producer(whips out lemon): chow down cause ur not going anywhere.

so in the end money talks and bullsh!t walks, so we should just forgive jet li like hop heads forgave jay z when he said it. and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    and i think he said he wouldn't do any folk hero movie's. which doesn't matter cause this movie is a folk hero movie and an epic

Jet has downplayed this ever since it came out that Fearless would be his last martial arts film. Then it was his last epic. I still say that it was just to promote Fearless. If the right movie came along, I doubt he would pass it up.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

No Oscar for Jet

It's the revenge of Hero for the Jetster...

Investors' Disputes Keep "Warlords" Away from Oscar
    2007-09-18 21:10:59

Shortly before the October 2 deadline for submitting Oscar entries as a foreign language film, the Chinese heroic tale "The Warlords" was dropped from the bill.

Hong Kong-based Media Asia Films, one of the film's Chinese investors, announced the decision on Monday, citing disagreements among investors as the reason, Guangzhou Daily reported.

The Peter Chan film, starring Jet Li, Andy Lau, Takeshi Kaneshiro and Xu Jinglei, was jointly backed by a number of companies, among them Morgan Chan Films, led by Hollywood producer Andre Morgan.

The report says Morgan strongly opposes the film's Oscar application as a foreign language film. He has bigger plans in mind, to help the film gain nods for more coveted awards, after it hits American theaters early next year.

That means "The Warlords" will miss February's Academy Awards and have to wait another year.

Given the film's upcoming China release date in December, Chinese investors insist that an Oscar entry would greatly boost box-office ratings.

According to the rules of the Academy Awards, a film can only be submitted once.

Previous reports suggest that other two Chinese-language films, namely Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution" and Jiang Wen's "The Sun Also Rises," will compete to be named final nominees for best foreign language film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thats smart

its good to wait till next year cause angs new film is going to smoke the competition. his new one is amazing.

Warlords withdrawal wake

According to this Lust Caution is Taiwan's submission.

China's entry for Oscar undecided after 'Warlords' pulled out
    Beijing, Sept. 25 (PTI): China's movie mandarins are keeping mum on the possible entries for the best foreign language film at the next Academy awards.

With the highly anticipated battle epic "The Warlords", officially withdrawn from the competition, China's hopes for a blockbuster candidate appear to have been dashed, Xinhua news agency reported.

However, the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (SARFT), which has the final say on the selection, said it was determined that Chinese mainland films would still be in the running.

"We won't let this chance go by. There will certainly be a film selected to compete for the award," it quoted an unidentified SARFT official as saying.

Chinese blockbusters have been submitted as entries for best foreign language film, but Ang Lee's Golden Lion-winning thriller "Lust, Caution" will represent Taiwan and Jiang Wen's "The Sun Also Rises" has been put forward as a Hong Kong offering.

According to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, only one picture will be accepted from each country.

"Every year we set up a special committee to vote for the candidates recommended by mainland film companies, and we will do so again this year," the SARFT official said.

The withdrawal of "The Warlords" has prompted speculation as to what films might be contending for the mainland entry.

Director Peter Chan's "The Warlords", starring Jet Li, Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro, had been announced as a possible candidate for best foreign language film, but was withdrawn after opposition from US investor Morgan Chan Films.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

it is but warlords is not going to compete with that. cause the academy likes ang. because of broke back. so any thing he does they're gonna be salivating over it

Yeah, the Academy loved the Hulk

It really goes back to CTHD. Ang is a great filmmaker. He's just should stick with Green Destiny swords instead of green superheroes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You obviously never read many Hulk comics.

I enjoyed HULK btw.

while it certainly could've used more HULK SMASH moments (and maybe more Betty Brant in a bikini) the psychedelic qualities of the film where quite true to the Hulk comics circa 1980's.

Big green dogs . . . er. I guess that's better than a hulk mobile.

and Nick Nolte, er . . . . I guess I'll stop now.