Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beng Bu

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist View Post
    i am assuming he is a student of Gm HSU
    sorry but what means hsu?

he s disciple of GM Chen Leping

Xiao,
    I beleive he was reffering to Adam Hsu when he said GM HSU but then again I could be mistaken.

Adam is not a student of Leping and on the contrary very much older. He did however spend a little time studying under my shifu 's shifu...Master Wei Xiao Tung.
    Alot can be found about Adam Hsu on the internet and I suggest you purchase a copy of his book the sword polishers record a must read. God Bless
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

the famous beng bu video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3bLt...eature=related

I don't know why people all talk about beng bu in seven star mantis, but maybe just a form that got promoted so much in books. Now here is a video of beng bu done by me. Just to share, enjoy!
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Chi in Nature - My Taoism Temple Website
    Taoist Master BLOG - my blog

My Kungfu Channel on Youtube

I saw this vid earlier. Nicely done! Very similar to how I learned it, though it is missing a few moves at the end of the second road.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    I saw this vid earlier. Nicely done! Very similar to how I learned it, though it is missing a few moves at the end of the second road.
    Thank you! It's not missing the movements, maybe just from different versions. I have saw many mantis books and all the masters do it differently too. I have done many and chose the one I like more which flows the best for me.

This is seven star mantis. Just in case you thought it is CCK..
    Last edited by CYMac; 04-19-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    (Mak Jo Si, Tin Yat Lineage Taoism) A Taoism Master with 16yrs+ of experience in Taoism and as a career. Exorcism is my profession.

Quote Originally Posted by CYMac View Post
    Thank you! It's not missing the movements, maybe just from different versions. I have saw many mantis books and all the masters do it differently too. I have done many and chose the one I like more which flows the best for me.

This is seven star mantis. Just in case you thought it is CCK..
    Yes, I misspoke. I just meant it was missing a few movements as I learned it.
    I have also seen MANY versions. Yours does look very smooth.
    Yes, I recognized it as Seven Star, probably stemming from Hong Kong. The version I learned was the Northern Praying Mantis (Wong Hon Fan) version.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Yes, I misspoke. I just meant it was missing a few movements as I learned it.
    I have also seen MANY versions. Yours does look very smooth.
    Yes, I recognized it as Seven Star, probably stemming from Hong Kong. The version I learned was the Northern Praying Mantis (Wong Hon Fan) version.
    Won Hon Fan is very good too as I see his mantis books are nicely postured. The next generation from him, Yuen Man Kai is still alive in hongkong but I don't like his style when I see him perform because it's way too flowery..

I saw your website just now, interesting and cool stuff! Your videos are nice too!

I saw your website just now, interesting and cool stuff! Your videos are nice too!
    Thank you!
    Richard A. Tolson

A New Beng Bu

I don't know why people all talk about beng bu in seven star mantis, but maybe just a form that got promoted so much in books.
    People talk about beng bu because it is part of the original core of Mantis.
    This version is not from any family of Beng Bu I have seen.
    Could you tell us where it is from?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    People talk about beng bu because it is part of the original core of Mantis.
    This version is not from any family of Beng Bu I have seen.
    Could you tell us where it is from?

Kevin
    how come? even the master above see it and feel familiar, it's seven star praying mantis. Where did you learn yours and do you have a video to show so that I can see what you mean?

we must always remember when doing kuen, to move the body as one.

This is where you get the power generation, formless form and fluidity.
    I see many places adn movements where the arms are moving yet the feet are stationary, as wll as the shoulders moving but the hips are not, and to go deeper the external is moving but the internal is not.

Concentrate on having the body in constant continuous motion all the time and you will enjoy your form much better. be well
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

how come? even the master above see it and feel familiar, it's seven star praying mantis. Where did you learn yours and do you have a video to show so that I can see what you mean?
    For the record, I don't claim to be a "master", but thank you for the compliment.

Yes, I would say your form looks like 99% of the Qixing Tanglangquan (HK) forms that I have seen performed. Though a few moves I am familiar with are missing and a couple are changed.

The way you play the form is also similar to how I have seen it played by many different instructors. Other families of mantis emphasize greater coordination of the body/harmonies. Seven Star out of Hong Kong is often criticized for its more subtle approach. I watched your video again and compared it to videos I have of Al Cheung, Brendan Lai, my instructor and a few others on YouTube. It was comparable to each of those performances.

Revealing who your instructor was/is shouldn't be a big deal though. Most of us on the forum are familiar with each other's background/instructors.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 04-21-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

I watched your video again and compared it to videos I have of Al Cheung, Brendan Lai, my instructor and a few others on YouTube. It was comparable to each of those performances.
    If you have the Brendan Lai Bung Bo video in mind, I possibly could say that the sequence is very roughly similar, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    to go deeper the external is moving but the internal is not.
    interesting; here is what I stated about his taiji form:
    "I find his movement to be rigid and lacking connection; he is "performing" instead of "living" the movement;"

he, of course, did not agree w my assessment; hopefully your good advice will find it's way through his thick skull...

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    If you have the Brendan Lai Bung Bo video in mind, I possibly could say that the sequence is very roughly similar, but that's about it.
    Certainly Shifu Lai's speed and power are not present in his video.
    Richard A. Tolson