Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves

Blog Entries

Gloves

What do people think of these gloves for training?

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-m...ng-gloves.html

FP

I don't like 'em. There's too much padding up top. Get the regular NHB gloves, and go a little lighter in training. Get some 14 oz boxing gloves for heavier work.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

My club uses these:

http://www.combatsports.com/detail_tuf.aspx?ID=22292

Pretty much the same design. I like them alot. The extra 2 or 3 oz allows you to spar harder w/o getting hurt, and you can still grapple.

We use 14oz boxing gloves when we want to hit hard, but when you want medium contact with no head gear, these kinds of gloves are perfect.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-20-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info MK. They look pretty much the same, title's being a bit cheaper.

I like the design of these types of gloves because you can hit hard and still utilize the fingers and forearms for trapping...which is essential to some kung fu styles. Are there any sparring formats similar to San Shou that use these gloves? I seem to remember seeing a Kuo Shu sparring vid where they had similar gloves.

IMO, these should be standard for any kung fu school.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    the Kuo Shou Lei Tai doesn't appear to have a standard rule for gloves. Saek San might let us know differently.

The local group allows really bad gloves, imo. They have disallowed MMA gloves for some reason but allow some cheap gloves that don't protect the fighters much less the hand.

I was happy last week that they allowed my guys to use 12oz boxing gloves.

sometimes we use 'karate mitts' for sparring. they are designed for sport karate but are basically a thumbless pad for the hand and allows the fingers to be free. they are pretty cheap at $20 but aren't good for more than medium contact.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    the Kuo Shou Lei Tai doesn't appear to have a standard rule for gloves. Saek San might let us know differently.

The local group allows really bad gloves, imo. They have disallowed MMA gloves for some reason but allow some cheap gloves that don't protect the fighters much less the hand.

I was happy last week that they allowed my guys to use 12oz boxing gloves.

sometimes we use 'karate mitts' for sparring. they are designed for sport karate but are basically a thumbless pad for the hand and allows the fingers to be free. they are pretty cheap at $20 but aren't good for more than medium contact.

Ha ha

I used to use the tiger claw sparmaster for full contact sparring. not recommended!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    My club uses these:

http://www.combatsports.com/detail_tuf.aspx?ID=22292

Pretty much the same design. I like them alot. The extra 2 or 3 oz allows you to spar harder w/o getting hurt, and you can still grapple.

We use 14oz boxing gloves when we want to hit hard, but when you want medium contact with no head gear, these kinds of gloves are perfect.

I have those as well.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I have those as well.
    the thumb looks wierd. ???
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I prefer these:

http://www.txmma.com/cart/index.php?...roducts_id=184

That style glove has a totally different feel. For the CMA guys, these are better, IMO, for using bridging skills.

You can't hit hard with those and still look pretty at work the next day. Boo.

agreed. I's gots to preserve what little game I gots left.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    I prefer these:

http://www.txmma.com/cart/index.php?...roducts_id=184

That style glove has a totally different feel. For the CMA guys, these are better, IMO, for using bridging skills.
    I have a pair of those to - similar, anyway - it's a different brand. Those have pretty much zero padding. As you mentioned before, you can't safely do contact sparring with those. I'd rather have the ones posted above and use more contact.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    the thumb looks wierd. ???
    I don't have any problem out of the thumb. If I am hitting a bag the knuckle covering gives me fits though. It pushes back or something when I throw hooks and it feels funny.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I have a pair of those to - similar, anyway - it's a different brand. Those have pretty much zero padding. As you mentioned before, you can't safely do contact sparring with those. I'd rather have the ones posted above and use more contact.
    I know, Bro, and there's a trade off. We would always go real light, and focus on techniques, transitioning, the more technical parts of the game. We would use the 16 ouncers when we sparred heavy. Training that way worked out real well for me. It gave us a very 'smooth' game.