Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you fill your punching bags with?

Commercial heavy bags are never filled with sand,they are filled with shreded
    rags.If you filled a 70lb size heavy bag with,it would weigh a couple of
    hundred pouds and be as hard as cement.You could not punch it for a full
    workout.
    Heavy bags are desined to "give" slightly but provide resistance
    to develope power over time.
    I have a small sand bag, it is about 2 ft long and 12 inch in diameter,
    filled wth sand itweighs 40 or 50 lbs.I use it like a hanging Iron palm bag
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

My iron hand bag is patterned after the one we used in Cheuk Tse's school: a leather reinforced canvas bag filled with sand. After the first few strikes it takes a slight dent and doesn't appear to deform after that. The leather has a good feel (I never use vinyl bags because of the sticky texture) and you always know where the striking surface is. Iron shot and copper BBs also work well but are expensive. Quentin Fong once got ahold of some plastic pebbles in bulk quantity that he recommended for filling small bags. Maybe plastic for injection molding would work well. My claw bags for finger and wrist strengthening are canvas filled with mung beans. The traditional belief is that enzymes from the mung bean dust enter the skin and help to strengthen the connective tissues and prevent bruising.
    Last edited by jdhowland; 05-26-2007 at 07:28 AM.

I generally stuff mine with dead bodies.

1. It's a good place to hide them.

and

2. It teaches you what contact with a real live human being feels like.

I suppose "real live" is a bit of a misnomer, but "real dead human being" just doesn't sound the same.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I have a zipper down the side of mine, and when we have a student who needs an "attitude adjustment", we stuff him inside and play "Kung-Fu Pinata" with him.
    Note to all you school owners-this is great fun for those Karate Kid Birthday Parties! The kidz love'em! And it doesn't make a mess on the carpet. The bag is plastic lined for quick and easy clean-up,and it's sanitized to prevent harmfull germs and bacteria, for all you Moms at home.

We fill ours with beer. They break more often, but it's a lot more fun when they do.

Question

I just answered the door and no one was there, but here's this 70# heavy bag sitting in the doormat. Not only that, but it is on fire.

I suppose I shall stomp it out
    Master...Teach me kung fu.