Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Chuck Lidell doing Hop Gar?

Is Chuck Lidell doing Hop Gar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqf42...elated&search=
    overhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCU6...elated&search=

right punch

His form reminds me of hop gar big time, and I read that he is a kajukenbo fighter...they do kung fu as well as other styles.
    I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge on chuck lidell's punching style?...it's a unique method of boxing...almost reminds me of fighting from a side horse stance instead of a front boxer stance.
    Last edited by diego; 05-25-2007 at 10:44 PM.

I think you may be onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    I think you may be onto something.
    I know more i watch it, gets me thinking...buddy is throwing ridgehand overheads

his spinning backkick is sweet..i'm guessing that jump footwork is muay thai??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkeL605fOiQ

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqf42...elated&search=
    overhand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BCU6...elated&search=

right punch

His form reminds me of hop gar big time, and I read that he is a kajukenbo fighter...they do kung fu as well as other styles.
    I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge on chuck lidell's punching style?...it's a unique method of boxing...almost reminds me of fighting from a side horse stance instead of a front boxer stance.
    Chuck Liddell is a Kickboxer, Collegate Wrestler, 5th Dan in Hawaiian Kenpo and a Purple Belt in BJJ. He owns a school in San Luis Obispo called "SLO Kickboxing" and he trains with John Hacklemann of "The Pitt Hawaiian Kenpo School"
    Last edited by SenseiShellie; 05-25-2007 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiShellie View Post
    Chuck Liddell is a Kickboxer, Collegate Wrestler, 5th Dan in Hawaiian Kenpo and a Purple Belt in BJJ. He owns a school in San Luis Obispo called "SLO Kickboxing" and he trains with John Hacklemann of "The Pitt Hawaiian Kenpo School"
    yeah i was reading something online about how hawain kenpo is kajukenbo pitfighting...do you have any knowledge on the angles he's using?...reminds me more of kung fu than western boxing with the whole build up and follow through.

He tends to cut off the ring for his opponent. Chuck is a master at using the cage for fighting. Plus, his instructor, John Hackleman is a trained fighter. Here's a link to the Pit's website.

Here's the history of The Pit

http://www.thepitmma.com/Our_style.html

And this should answer the question about if Chuck is doing Hop Gar. Here's what The Pit Hawaiian Kempo is made up of

http://www.thepitmma.com/FAQ.html

I know more i watch it, gets me thinking...buddy is throwing ridgehand overheads

his spinning backkick is sweet..i'm guessing that jump footwork is muay thai??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkeL605fOiQ
    thats the horse back kick, and not a spinning back side kick. this one u see in cma and in okinawa systems.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    that i sthe way I was taught to throw a spin back kick-fu mei gerk. Koreans are more known for the turn around side kick, but most CMA do it as a back kick, as well as in Tang Soo Do. But if you wanna call it a horse kick, I'm sure the horse won't mind.

yeah i was reading something online about how hawain kenpo is kajukenbo pitfighting...do you have any knowledge on the angles he's using?...reminds me more of kung fu than western boxing with the whole build up and follow through.
    nah, no hop gar. boxing has hooks, overhands, haymakers, long hooks and uppercuts - all very circular strikes. it has the angling footwork mentioned in one of the other posts as well. that is called cutting off the ring, or stalking.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffer View Post
    thats the horse back kick, and not a spinning back side kick. this one u see in cma and in okinawa systems.
    We have a back kick as well as a spin side.

As usual, instead of explaining the difference, he poo poos one kick for another.

For one, his explanation of a spin side is done wrong and is too close.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    nah, no hop gar. boxing has hooks, overhands, haymakers, long hooks and uppercuts - all very circular strikes. it has the angling footwork mentioned in one of the other posts as well. that is called cutting off the ring, or stalking.
    Kill joy.

BTW, That overhand right is NOT boxing. AT ALL. Stop trying to diminish everything to this screwed down tiny little world view. Not EVERYTHING exists in the few "sanctioned" styles. He may not be doing hop gar, that isn't the point.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 05-26-2007 at 02:05 PM.

kajukenbo had some cross fertilization with hop gar at some point. you know how kaido learned from ng yim ming? and one other guy did too..

I actually may have to agree with Abel here. I have made a amatuer study of boxing in both my own self defense methods and just because I love the sport both old and new but if we are talking modern boxing I have not come across that strike in the context of modern pugilism.

Now, there are MANY strikes in boxing that are just one variation of another so it could exist but its not in the land of common use if we are looking at the big picture.

I believe this strike comes from his kenpo training. I have a strike that looks just like it that I picked up from the McSweeny powerhitting kenpo system that looks almost exact but instead it uses star of the palm to connect.

Very nasty wide arching blow, which from what I understand is actually a gung fu strike put back into system from a man named Jim Woo. It's the strike you see Hackney use to down that 400 pound Sumo wrestler in the early UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Kill joy.

BTW, That overhand right is NOT boxing. AT ALL. Stop trying to diminish everything to this screwed down tiny little world view. Not EVERYTHING exists in the few "sanctioned" styles. He may not be doing hop gar, that isn't the point.
    yeah,yeah. I just think the whole thing is kinda pointless. I don't look at fights and say "hey, I wonder if his jump knee is from muay thai - it kinda looks like it..."
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    yeah,yeah. I just think the whole thing is kinda pointless. I don't look at fights and say "hey, I wonder if his jump knee is from muay thai - it kinda looks like it..."
    well i don't do muay thai dummy, so my question is not pointless....my stepdad's teacher kaido was a mixed martial artist that taught primarily kajukenbo-hopgar...he had black belt in kaju and was taught some hopgar...it's the kajukenbo method to create your own method once you learn say the original emperado method (think there is 4 original methods)...but i heard there was beef with students and he got shot so the style went nowhere...can't even find it on the kajukenbo websites...

anyway his hopgar drills very much fit the ringfighters format with just the whole shadowboxing attitude oppossed to the classicaly trained dancer attitude of a traditional martial artist we are so accustommed to seeing...i'm knowing Muhammed Ali had karate black belts while he was champ, and he was fruit of islam for the noi so he was def doing weapons training and all that as a bodygaurd for the noi...I look at guys like ali and lidell, and i'm loving that parisian judo guy...i look at all these ring fighters that have traditional base, and that makes me look at my style. I\m enjoying picking my kungfu apart after sparring with my mma buddy for the last year and just having this hungry interest for the angles in muay thai and the funky monkey stance bjj guys make up when they do sh*t like triabgle choke...I look at the socalled traditional animal/statue postures these guys make while under pressure in the ring and the sh*t fascinates me

so why is ish pointless?