Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Chuck Lidell doing Hop Gar?

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    and one other guy did too..
    another kajukenbo guy did to?....I've heard differant things about kaido and don't know if his buddy studied hop gar and showed it to him or he got it directly?..no idea..you know something about someone else?

i don't think kaido's style became official kajukenbo before he died and it's kinda fuqt up...heard something about he didn't like the whole paying fees and that...felt like he was better or something...i look at his forms and compare them to others and it makes sence...his is the sickest kajukebo i seen, but maybe that's cuz i'm a kung fu fan..

yeah it's kinda messed up...heard he had beef with students and then got killed...i can't find anything mentioned on him in the popular sites...makes me wonder if something shady happenned...
    Last edited by diego; 05-26-2007 at 06:23 PM.

from what i remember, let me see if i can find any info.

i think its someone named mario or something, i dont know if he was a kaju guy

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    i think its someone named mario or something, i dont know if he was a kaju guy
    yeah northern shaolin posted on this forum ng yim ming got killed by triad, i heard the stories on kaido...i don't see much info in the popular culture...i know kaido was real, his student philip gelinas is one of the original dog brothers...sled dog i beleive and he got mad degrees in mma and he be like yeah all i know is kaido's kung fu works and before he died he told me watch out for the old men with sticks..then he went and made a name for hisself doing kali and all that

http://www.montrealmartialarts.com/

his website

yeah, peeps seem to not know much about kaido, but my stepdad told me some interesting info

dig up what you can, that would be cool.
    peace

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    well i don't do muay thai dummy, so my question is not pointless....my stepdad's teacher kaido was a mixed martial artist that taught primarily kajukenbo-hopgar...he had black belt in kaju and was taught some hopgar...it's the kajukenbo method to create your own method once you learn say the original emperado method (think there is 4 original methods)...but i heard there was beef with students and he got shot so the style went nowhere...can't even find it on the kajukenbo websites...

anyway his hopgar drills very much fit the ringfighters format with just the whole shadowboxing attitude oppossed to the classicaly trained dancer attitude of a traditional martial artist we are so accustommed to seeing...i'm knowing Muhammed Ali had karate black belts while he was champ, and he was fruit of islam for the noi so he was def doing weapons training and all that as a bodygaurd for the noi...I look at guys like ali and lidell, and i'm loving that parisian judo guy...i look at all these ring fighters that have traditional base, and that makes me look at my style. I\m enjoying picking my kungfu apart after sparring with my mma buddy for the last year and just having this hungry interest for the angles in muay thai and the funky monkey stance bjj guys make up when they do sh*t like triabgle choke...I look at the socalled traditional animal/statue postures these guys make while under pressure in the ring and the sh*t fascinates me

so why is ish pointless?
    I know you don't do muay thai... anyway the search for knowledge is never pointless. it's the crap that is sometimes fueling the search that irritates me. my first thai coach showed us a lot of thai self defense - things you don't learn in a ring only class. I am guessing it is some of the chaiya, lopburi or whatever other remnants are in what is now called muay boran. I take it for what it is - thai martial art. I don't look at other arts for parallels, as they will be there - the body can only move so many ways.

overhand, haymaker, sow choy - who cares? same principle, likely a slightly different delivery.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

it was a rival triad or gang i forgot which. PM me if u want to discuss ng.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I know you don't do muay thai... anyway the search for knowledge is never pointless. it's the crap that is sometimes fueling the search that irritates me. my first thai coach showed us a lot of thai self defense - things you don't learn in a ring only class. I am guessing it is some of the chaiya, lopburi or whatever other remnants are in what is now called muay boran. I take it for what it is - thai martial art. I don't look at other arts for parallels, as they will be there - the body can only move so many ways.

overhand, haymaker, sow choy - who cares? same principle, likely a slightly different delivery.
    makes sence...one thing about looking at other arts is maybe they do something better than you do...like body moves only so many ways, but buddy down the street may know how to make you move faster or stronger uno

the case for this thread tho...i read lidell does kajukenbo, and then i found those clips and they reminded me more of kung fu than boxing, so i'm trying to find more links to buddy's angles. Also, Ali's footwork was something special...like how he hit foreman with like ten right jabs...rear punch steps forward and turns into a lead jab...that's karate footwork you know what i mean...just the power generation..sh*t like that is cool to me

plus hop gar is said to be the style with footwork against everyone elses and i'm just starting to understand that concept of using unorthodox to mess your opponnent's whole head up.1

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post

As usual, instead of explaining the difference, he poo poos one kick for another.

For one, his explanation of a spin side is done wrong and is too close.
    yes. about his overhand punch, the only thing I thought of was that it looked more like a non trained person would generate his power, haymayker style.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Spoiler

Evidently, Chuck doesn't seem to use Hop Ga well enough...

Hop Ga/Kaju connection

I've heard differant things about kaido and don't know if his buddy studied hop gar and showed it to him or he got it directly?..no idea..you know something about someone else?
    Somewhere in my cellar I probably still have a defunct magazine from the '70s that has an article on Hop Ga featuring Kaido. The article showed a pictorial of a few moves that Kaido claimed he learned directly from Ng Yim Ming.

Emperado and Cheuk Tse were both experienced fighters who, on occasion, used their respective Kajukenbo and Hop Ga skills professionally. And, in Hawaii, they were good friends. The highest compliment I ever heard Cheuk Sifu pay to another martial artist was: "Emperado...he's good."

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Evidently, Chuck doesn't seem to use Hop Ga well enough...
    lol, did he lose again?...just how he does his hook punch...how the elbow kinda hangs there before/as you swing I learned a drill with that where you hammer the groin say with your left then do right and left hooks to the gut then come up with double overhead (left backfist-right overhead to right side face) when I saw Kaido's form I'm like hey that looks like boxing with a crane bow stance...then I see Lidells kenpo fists orwhatever the foq...I'm like cool

Quote Originally Posted by jdhowland View Post
    Somewhere in my cellar I probably still have a defunct magazine from the '70s that has an article on Hop Ga featuring Kaido. The article showed a pictorial of a few moves that Kaido claimed he learned directly from Ng Yim Ming.

Emperado and Cheuk Tse were both experienced fighters who, on occasion, used their respective Kajukenbo and Hop Ga skills professionally. And, in Hawaii, they were good friends. The highest compliment I ever heard Cheuk Sifu pay to another martial artist was: "Emperado...he's good."

yeah i heard he's in one of the old magazines wearing his silk uniform orsomething...who is Cheuk Tse?

Sometimes when he fights, I swear it's like he's doing a hop gar form.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    word you see him doing tornado kicks and dropping into back rotational stances hitting the groin spinning out into a decapitation punches...i just see a lot of snap and good rotation from his stance shuffle...but i need glasses so

Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    No match for any 8th level master or TSPK, but he's okay. I wonder what Grandmaster Sensei would think?