Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meal replacement,protien powders,Diet regimen.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the "other species" argument is less to do with them drinking milk because it's not beneficial and more to do with their mothers not wanting to feed them milk any more. Hell, I was weaned at 3 months because my mom was sick of feeding me. Must be why I like both milk and breasts so much these days - I'm making up .
    LOL I barely got a month as the story goes

The studies have been done on the hazards of the over consumption of dairy. Unless you live in france and have wine with every meal, those fats that milk contain are going to adhere to your plateletes and start to deposit along your arterial walls and become plaque, just as consuming fatty meats such as pork,duck will do as well. It may not happen over night but as you age the evidence starts to make itself known, especially to those who have had triple bypass surgery BECAUSE they consumed a very high fat diet that included fatty steaks,pork sausage, MILK and Cheese.
    They have also done studies with different cultures in different regions of the planet and compared the health and cholesterol levels of those individuals to those whose diet is primarily high fatty foods, the instance of heart attacks and plaque in the arteries where almost non-existent in nations such as china and southeast asia where diary is very rarely consumed. Of course the studies also show that if you consume wine with high fatty food the properties of red wine lubricates the blood platelets and therefore allows the transferring of fat through the system without much adheration to the arterial wall lining. Yet in countries where the booze consumption is high the cases of liver disease is staggering, ie France and other Euro countries including the UK. In the united states alone the dairy consumption is way beyond other countries and you would think that if we are getting all this "beneficial" fats and nutrients and protien in milk then WHY do most of our nations elderly suffer from diseases like Osteoporosis and calcium deficiancies? whereas the eldery in Asian countries have almost no instances of osteporosis(which is a calcium deficiancy of the bones). its not because of "old age", what the consensus and studies seem to indicate is that the over consumption of dairy that has way too much protien for the body to handle or assimilate and way too much fat and no fiber to speak of causes a system flush that will eliminate the excess fat and protein but also eliminating vital nutrients as well. Over time this can result in the aforementioned diseases.
    Like i stated before, you can get enough calcium in the green veggies you eat and enough protien in lean meats, certain veggies and in protein powders such as whey soy or egg, but remember those meal replacement packages such as the Labrada and the myoplex contain way too much for the body to handle. you wind up assimilating a small % of that and cr@pping and pee'!ng out the rest.
    I like the Isopure and i recently discovered a non gmo non hormone whey protien called "Quantum"(kind of expensive), but at least i can scoop out what i need and nothing more.
    anyway, good thread, glad i started it, lets keep it going.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Why don't you guys just eat real food?

We had Strong men in the early 1900's lifting SEVEN HUNDRED POUNDS using the old school training (now almost extinct) methods to get there. Back then they didn't have all these supplements, meal replacement shakes or steroids. All they had was good wholesome food..and when you consider it was all back before food additives, all of it was organic.

Instead of spending money on all these goofy fake food subsititues, why not just go here http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/index.html and learn how it used to be done back when they didn't need crutches like protine shakes and hand fulls of little pills that supposedly have nutrients?

And why bother wasteing money on vitamins and such anyway? If you look at the lables, they have maybe only a dozen or a dozen and a half of different vitamins and other nutrients (And that is the good ones). You can just eat raw fruites and veggies which are full of THOUSANDS of different nutrients instead, get a *Far* better balanced & varied nutritional intake, and save your money.

The strength trainers, and old time strong men of 100 years ago could perfrom incredible feaths of strength and had astounding athletic ability that is seen as phenominal by today's standards...why not just do what was found successful and stop wasteing time with modern crap that just does not prove to be any better, and most often is inferior?

Change and adaptation are pointless if you do it for changes sake only...and end up going backwards...
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-02-2007 at 09:12 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

You could do that, but then you wouldn't be able to enjoy that pasty and disgusting synthetic quasi-chocolate shake flavor that'll turn your gut into a dry-heaving disco party, which we all enjoy so much.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Breakfast is either a Cliff Bar with my coffee or if I have time 2 eggs, 2 peices of Cobblestone mills Wheatberry and a 4-6 oz piece of lean meat; usually steak or pork with the fat trimmed off and fried in a teflon pan w/ olive oil cooking spray.

I make a smoothie w/ 1 apple, 1 bananna, 1 C orange juice, 1 C cranberry/pomegranate juice (no added sugar type), 1 C of plain yogurt and 3 17gram servings of 90% Whey Isolate purchased from bulkfoods.com

i do my best to drink as much water as I can stand...usually 1-2 quarts while working in addition to the consumption of the smoothie.

dinner is whatever falls in front of me at 9:30pm...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

If ever I visit your school and look for lessons, and you're teaching sparring at say, 9:30 p.m., don't be surprised to see me sneaking out the back door.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    say whut?

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

My breakfast:
    large amounts of various fruites, from a mainestay of apples, honey Dew and pineapple, to any sort of fruit, grape, berry or tasty thing I foud on sale in the fresh fruit department.

Sometimes I have eggs, and I have found a bit of protine in the moring is good, so I also occasionally have a small bit of fish or mixed nuts (Preferably no salt).

Lunch: Some sort of raw mixed veggies and or rice mixed with a bit of chicken, beef or whatever was left over from the previous nite's dinner.

Pre training meal is useually rice and raw veggies around 3:00-3:30 when I was training in the evenings, but now that I try to train in the morning it's been the same as my breakfast.

I eat the pre training meal, train and then eat more fruites for breakfast. Although sometimes the pre training meal is breakfast, and post training I eat the eggs,fish mixed nuts because I tend to crave protiens after I workout.

Dinner is useually almost entirely meat. ...Oh, and last nite also Pie

I like to mix it up so it's never the same meat twice. Protine loading before bed is important because you need the building blocks to rebuild and regenerate during sleep. In fact, *WHEN* you have your protine I think is more important than trying to over load your system with it (it just turns to fat when you do that anyway...unless ur lift'n 4 days a week, 4 hours at a time).

It's better to give your body what it needs, when it needs it (Raw fruites and veggies before exertion, protines after or before sleep)

I think if you just eat the most nutirtionally dense foods first, you are going to be good. Eat as much Raw as you can to preserve the nutrients and you will be charging your body with more goodness than a handful of pills or shakes ever could.

Infact, I will go on to say that putting all those pills and shakes in your body is actually depriving you of nutrition because they take up space that reall food could be using.

Ask your self this, do you want to eat 12 nutirents, or a fruit salad which has thousands?

The diet above is what we had my daughter on when she was a competitive gymnast. Any time we deviated form it it took her out of the medals and instead she would com ein like 6th, 7th or 8th place, Which is still damm good mind you but Bronze, Silver and Gold are better.

It was really an eye opener dailing in her diet. It blew away alot of myths for us (like Past being a good pre workout food). Especially since diet, and sleep were really the only variables, as her training was the same system taught by her Romanian coach all her life (from age 3-14). It's still the same system she trains today on her own, she just does not put him 4 hours 4-5 days a week anymore. Ohter than more cardio because she rollerblades constantly because she ice skates, that is the only difference.

She competed more than enough for us to see what dietary changes did to her scores over the 12 years she did gymnastics, as well as sleep too.

We found more sleep = higher scores, and more medals. There is no such things as over sleeping (A whole other topic to discuss BTW).

We found that the above diet = Higher scores, and more medals.

She never did shakes, vitamins or any of that. We had them avaliable to us as some of the parents sold various "High Performance" nutritional systems to eachother, but the girls who were on them really didn't do any better than any other girls.....in fact, the ones spouting all the vitamins and such were useually the lowest scoring girls on the team.....except for the milk drinkers, who generally took longer to progress, despite allways drinking thier milk because it "Does a body good" (Again, like sleep another big discussion...I actually got one of the girls into top 10 scoring just by convincing her mom to stop giving her milk)
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Outside of the above diet, the ONLY thing I found to have a major impact training wise was Chinese training wines.

Melissa often used Ginseng in the weeks leading up, and during competitions which boosted her performance noticably (although it was frowned apon by her old school Romanian coach for some reason anyway...still not sure why.)

I myself used the 16 herb training wine from my system to help do a major rehab on my back. I feel it was an integral part of the success I had. I never gave it to Her though because we were worried some of the substances (MaHaung) was not legal in her sport. Even though the formula only has small amounts, taking it out messes up the balance as I think other things in it counter some of it's harsher effects.

Although, we did give her a good dose of Mahuang one meet because she was sick, and probably should not have even competed. It was the biggest meet of the year though, and she refused to not go, so I loaded her up on Mahaung tea to clear her lungs out (And a few other things).

Even sick, with a feaver 100.4 (down from almost 102.00 that morning) before the meet started, she managed to take a Broz on the beam, and a Silver on floor...she collapsed right after it was over and slept from the moment we got into the car untill the next morning though, a good 14+ hours. She was the sickest at the meet. It took 3 days for her to get better, and that time she could not breath and was choking on Phlem everytime the tea wore off. She lived on that stuff for 4 days.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I'm gonna get flamed, but I really think we have a collective tendency to go overboard on food stuff, one way or another. This country has to have the most unhealthy relationship with food I've ever seen. We obsess about it - if not by stuffing it in our faces, then by inventing elaborate protocols around our diets.

Oh, and while the Asian cultures may derive the benefits Willow Sword claimed, I do believe they have a high rate of stomach cancer.

Point being that any and everything is bad for you in some way.

I think what people really need to do is sit back, take a deep breath, and just exercise some common sense. Eat a variety of things, make your diet colorful, eat when you're hungry, and stop when you're full. And every so often, eat something that has absolutely no redeeming value as a food, just for fun.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

And every so often, eat something that has absolutely no redeeming value as a food, just for fun.

Here Here!!! For me it is Haribo Gummy Bears.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Like Pie!!

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    squats and milk
    THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    say whut?

You see, you said "dinner is whatever falls in front of me at 9:30 PM" and I said something to the effect of "remind me not to spar with you at, say, about 9:30 PM" because, see, if I fell in front of you, you'd like, eat me, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    You could do that, but then you wouldn't be able to enjoy that pasty and disgusting synthetic quasi-chocolate shake flavor that'll turn your gut into a dry-heaving disco party, which we all enjoy so much.
    LOL! Interestingly, RD, I actually like my smoothies. And adding 1 cup of plain yogurt completely gets rid of that "dry-heaving disco party" the protien mix adds to it. I also don't drink the whole thing at once, I sip it all day. It takes care of the urge to snack on un-healthy things by keeping my blood-sugar level ballanced. The only "pill" I take is an occasional zinc tablet. I found out that alot of women crave chocolate due to a dip in the zinc levels in thier body. When I feel a strong craving of chocolate, I pop a zinc instead a candy bar and the craving goes away in about a half hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it