Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: choy lee fut VS. Muay Thai

Personally what I do is panther fist push-ups. I do them in the yeung position with the thumb at the top and in the horizontal cheung ahn choy position. I also practice in the sandbags attach to my ching jong. The panther fist is really designed to hit soft tissue areas and possibly slip into a rib but it is not designed to go against really hard parts of the body in which one would opt for a traditional fist position.

sorry, just dropping in on this intresting topic..Iīll get out of your hair...

what about open hand striking in CLF? I remember hearing something about itīs use in the dot chui (guess it would be called dot jeung..)...

respectfully,

jari

CLF has a lot of palm strikes - daat jeurng, cum jeurng, lau jeurng, pok mien jeurng, charn jeurng, etc...

chap & straight punch

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Personally what I do is panther fist push-ups. I do them in the yeung position with the thumb at the top and in the horizontal cheung ahn choy position. I also practice in the sandbags attach to my ching jong. The panther fist is really designed to hit soft tissue areas and possibly slip into a rib but it is not designed to go against really hard parts of the body in which one would opt for a traditional fist position.
    LOL, just like wong tat mau in Lee Koon Hungs book! Just as matter of interest how many & sets, do you work up to? Chap seems to be a combo of hand strenght + inner forearm strenght.

BTW I have seen a sifu do chap breakboard, like what the karate people do. Just goes to show you can make anything work. I have never chap'd or seen anyone get chap'd. I image fight be over once you get chap'd properly. I heard the Thais back in the day were really worried about CLF chaps in the tournaments.

Apart from the chan CLF sanda tournament folks, I never see any CLF guys use as many straight fists, like the way boxers do.

I don't do too many sets of the chop choy push-ups. I do a number of sets of regular push-ups from different hand positions to work the chest, triceps, etc...

In terms of the chop choy push I will typically do a set of 50. I like to press up at the top which basically focuses everything on the middle knuckle for a split second before going back down.

It is very hard to use a chop choy in organized fighting because of gloves so I can't imagine the Thai's being that afraid of it unless the gloves were the real thin type. My sifu used to tell me about fighting when he was young and that they used very thin gloves similar to cut-off construction worker type gloves. With those the chop choy would work well as the gloves would actually help to cut the oppenent when you twist the hand.

Also wrist strength is very important to use the chop choy.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 06-11-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    yeah the gloves definately hide the shape of the fist, and to an outsider to clf would assume its some wild punch.

thats why people think we resemble kick boxing, because our techniques look typical when gloves are on. they can't see us grab, phoenix eye strike or what ever.

however, striking sand bags is my favorites to develop my chop choy. it has just enough give as well as resistance.

and i agree clfnole, wrist strenght is important to the chop. but it should be important during any punch. you ever had your wrist buckle due to a poorly thrown punch on a bag?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Oh yeah, no doubt wrist strength is important with any punch. It is easy to get your wrist to buckle if you don't properly align a hook. I was just saying it is very important with a chop choy. The guy would asked about it earlier asked if it was more forearm strength.

you guys ever buckle your elbow by accident when doing a sau on a punch bag? I mistakenly did that once and got a sore elbow for about 2 months.

I have never had too much trouble with my sow choy but I know what you are talking about as I have had students do it from time to time. It is important to allow the elbow to flex a bit but not to overbend it.

Blog Entries
    oh yeah, anyone who full blasts their sow choy's will buckle their elbow at least once. and its one unbelievable pain too.

clf nole is right, you have to have a slight bend in it or you're over. this is one important thing to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    oh yeah, anyone who full blasts their sow choy's will buckle their elbow at least once. and its one unbelievable pain too.

clf nole is right, you have to have a slight bend in it or you're over. this is one important thing to remember.
    Its always good to put alittle bend in the arms when you punch because it prevents injury and also allows better power within the punch.
    Havick

thanks for your advise guys.

Blog Entries
    havick i agree with you

i teach my students to throw a punch with no muscle, but all power and focus out of their hands. with this they keep a slight bend. but the power is in the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post

Wow man, you do pantherfist push-ups??? how the hell do you do that?
    because when I do a charp choi I hit with one knuckle of the middle finger only, and when hitting a bag maybe I pentrate and hit with the knuckle of my ring finger aswell

But doing puchups on one knucke must really hurt.

Vilmore:

First off I am not a big guy, I only weight about 150 lbs so it might be easier for me than a big guy. Secondly I didn't start out on the floor I started initially doing them against a wall changing the angle over time to add resistence. When I felt comfortable I took it to the floor where if you want you can start by keeping your knees on the ground before moving on to the traditional push-up.

It really isn't that difficult you just have to take your time and build-up the wrist strength. Punching a sand bag might be a better option but the push-ups are okay as well.

Peace