Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fighting vs Training

There is training and then there is practice.

There is mantra that is used in every firearms weapons training I have ever taken. From the military training to civilian training. And I believe this applies to MA as well.

"Train the way you'll fight, fight the way you train"

The problem with that is we really can't full train on kicking knees, eye pokes, and various other Chin Na or full contact applications. Whereas in firearms training you can shoot actual bullets at targets, moving and static. Various run and gun drills using live round and obstacles such as clearing a house. As well as tactical shooting comps with varying stages such as shooting from inside a car, from a house window, prone position from underneath a car, etc. For a more realistic feel the military has MILEs gear and us civies have paintball.

So it would depend on what you want out of MA. If you want to stay fit. Then a normal class outta do ya. If you want to fight then work on application and fight more.
    Last edited by xcakid; 05-30-2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Add comments
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    There is mantra that is used in every firearms weapons training I have ever taken. From the military training to civilian training. And I believe this applies to MA as well.

"Train the way you'll fight, fight the way you train"

The problem with that is we really can't full train on kicking knees, eye pokes, and various other Chin Na or full contact applications. Whereas in firearms training you can shoot actual bullets at targets, moving and static. Various run and gun drills using live round and obstacles such as clearing a house. As well as tactical shooting comps with varying stages such as shooting from inside a car, from a house window, prone position from underneath a car, etc. For a more realistic feel the military has MILEs gear and us civies have paintball.
    And yet, those can only HELP develop the skills and NOT the mindset.
    Only way to get "dangerous hands" is to engage in "dangerous practice".

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And yet, those can only HELP develop the skills and NOT the mindset.
    Only way to get "dangerous hands" is to engage in "dangerous practice".
    Tell that to the US Military. After all they only play "games" and shoot at paper targets before going to actual combat. Yet it is only on rare occassion you find a soldier freezing up when shot at or put in a life or death situation.

The mindset is based on the individual. The human basic instinct of self preservation takes care of mindset when put into a life or death situation. Skills learned augments that so that the act of deffense/offense comes without thought.

But if we are talking about ring style fighting, then that is based on the person drive. Not everyone want to fight in a ring or have the drive for it. Yet everyone you meet wants to live, well maybe 99% of the population do. Thereby they have the mindset for survival and only in need of further training in skillset to give them an above par chance.

If you look at the number of full contact fighters vs MA practitioner, you will find that not all MA'ist want to fight full contact. So by choosing to fight in the ring, you are already in a mindset of competing. So now what's left is training a skillset to give you a leg up and confidence. Confidence will give you the drive.

My 2 pesos on the subject.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Tell that to the US Military. After all they only play "games" and shoot at paper targets before going to actual combat. Yet it is only on rare occassion you find a soldier freezing up when shot at or put in a life or death situation.

The mindset is based on the individual. The human basic instinct of self preservation takes care of mindset when put into a life or death situation. Skills learned augments that so that the act of deffense/offense comes without thought.

But if we are talking about ring style fighting, then that is based on the person drive. Not everyone want to fight in a ring or have the drive for it. Yet everyone you meet wants to live, well maybe 99% of the population do. Thereby they have the mindset for survival and only in need of further training in skillset to give them an above par chance.

If you look at the number of full contact fighters vs MA practitioner, you will find that not all MA'ist want to fight full contact. So by choosing to fight in the ring, you are already in a mindset of competing. So now what's left is training a skillset to give you a leg up and confidence. Confidence will give you the drive.

My 2 pesos on the subject.
    I saw some of the US military in Bosnia, outside the SF guys, not sure were you get that info of yours.
    Paintball and real bullets become quite different when the guy next to you loses part of his face.

But, in truth, we do what we can with what we have available to us.
    And as of right now, this is the best we got and we MUSt make use of it.
    MMA is the closest we can get and by doing that, we are one step closer.

Quote Originally Posted by JiuJitsu View Post
    How do the traditional schools honestly train better for the street. Their compliant non alive static training methods give a false sense of what can be pulled off in a real situation.
    Not ALL CMA schools use 'static' or 'compliant' training methods.

Quote Originally Posted by JiuJitsu View Post
    I have done traditional styles most of my life, I did karate for 4 years, then kung fu for 6 years and then wing chun for 3 so I am aware of how the traditional styles train.
    The traditional styles in YOUR AREA seemed to have trained this way, but perhaps a different school would have been the better choice for your CMA.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    I'm not sure what he was talking about but I've seen a few fighters (I don't pay any attention to names) with some striking issues. Usually not the head liners. Its usually the guys that the commentators describe as the "brawlers" as opposed to boxer, MT fighter, whatever other striker description. That or the guys that are new to MMA but come from a wrestling background and have only been training striking recently. Is it just me or do the guys coming in from BJJ/jiu-jutsu seem to be more collected in their early fights? (not to mean better, brute rage can be just as helpful. But just more loose and tactical it seems)

Anyways, the biggest thing that gets me is when those guys lob those long arching punches that I honestly don't know how they connect. I mean, they hit hard and like a truck, when the do land its usually KO or the opening needed to get in for a KO. But yeah, its like they are chambering their punches at their kneecaps.
    a lot of the guys you are referring to, as you surmised are grapplers, not strikers. there are guys that are good at both, others are not. that's not an inefficiency in mma though, only in the particular fighter's training. However, CMA is no stranger to long, arcing strikes.

While we're on the subject. I don't pay much attention to the rules and stuff since I don't really watch much T.V. and here martial arts in general let alone MMA gets little coverage. But, is it illegal to use open palm strikes in MMA comp? I never see anyone throwing em. But if they let knees and elbows I don't see why a palm shot would be illegal. Or is it just the MT/boxer makeup of most of the striking and that those sports do not use palm strikes? Just wondering, since you know....coming from a Tiger background palm strikes are kinda my thing.
    palm strikes are legal. Heck, in the earlier days, there were venues where you couldn't hit with the fist - you could only use the palm.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    The problem arises when we stop working towards greater economy/efficiency and just assume that we need to increase our endurance, strength, etc. to sustain what we are doing in terms of technique. This is not necessarily a problem endemic to TMA or MMA specifically.

So the question is should be getting a "great workout" from training our technique? Or should be working out separately and then training our technique to NOT be a "great workout."

FP
    train them both simultaneously. I think this is where combat sports excel. bagwork, sparring, padwork, drilling, etc. is tiring and will build your endurance at the same time you are perfecting your technique. You don't have to do them seperately, however if you are training for competition, it is reccomended that you do outside conditioning as well.

I think it's a bad assumption to think that because you are conditioning you are not focusing on being efficient. the two don't have to be inversely proportionate.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Not ALL CMA schools use 'static' or 'compliant' training methods.

The traditional styles in YOUR AREA seemed to have trained this way, but perhaps a different school would have been the better choice for your CMA.
    this is part of what I consider a problem. Why are different schools and styles doing different things? you can go into two WC schools that train completely differently. sport styles, IMO are more aligned with eachother than that. I can go to ANY kickboxing school in my city and expect the same thing - calesthenics, bagwork, mittwork, technique drilling and at least light sparring. I can go to ANY bjj school in my city and expect to see the same thing. Judo schools tend to differ, but I am guessing that is because some clubs are more recreational, while others are more competition oriented.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I read a study that suggested only about 20% of soldiers in a firefight actually engage the enemy correctly. The rest either hide or shoot wild without aiming because they are afraid of getting shot themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I saw some of the US military in Bosnia, outside the SF guys, not sure were you get that info of yours.
    Paintball and real bullets become quite different when the guy next to you loses part of his face.
    I'm prior military. I have friends that are still active and is/was in Afghanistan. I have a friend that is also prior military and is working for a private security company and have been in Nigeria, and currently working in Iraq. All attest to training skills provides reflexes that functions without thought in a life or death situation. "Train how you fight, fight how you train" If you train in grappling, you will grapple in the streets while that dudes buddy you are grappling with stabs you. Or the rest of his buddies jump you. That is a street fight. That is the survival territorial mindset. If you like to kick high, as in TKD fighter, you will kick high in the streets and more likely be knocked on you a$$ and be jumped on.

Again ring mentality is different from survival mentality. Although I admit there are common traits. Ring mentality follows rules and there is someone there to save your a$$. The referee. Training for survival is basic instinct. Everyone is born with survival instinct. Training hones that survival instinct. There is no one to save your a$$ when you tap out in a TRUE survival situation.

Some survival instincts are stronger in others. You can't teach that. Everyone has a breaking point. Much like a conscious chose to fight in the ring and just training traditional MA. Some breaking points is seeing your buddies brain being blown out, some have higher tolerance as in: "Well he got his brain blown out, dumba$$ should never stuck his head up. I'm not gonna do that" While another person will freeze up upon seeing that. Yet both will have the same training in their military careers and experience.

You can see this in normal training. One guy will use every excuse possible, when another guy will suck it up. You can't teach that. You cant beat the other guy into a "mindset" of sucking it up. He already has a certain mindset.

Aww crap what was my point again

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I read a study that suggested only about 20% of soldiers in a firefight actually engage the enemy correctly. The rest either hide or shoot wild without aiming because they are afraid of getting shot themselves.
    Pretty much.

I'm prior military. I have friends that are still active and is/was in Afghanistan. I have a friend that is also prior military and is working for a private security company and have been in Nigeria, and currently working in Iraq. All attest to training skills provides reflexes that functions without thought in a life or death situation. "Train how you fight, fight how you train" If you train in grappling, you will grapple in the streets while that dudes buddy you are grappling with stabs you. Or the rest of his buddies jump you. That is a street fight. That is the survival territorial mindset. If you like to kick high, as in TKD fighter, you will kick high in the streets and more likely be knocked on you a$$ and be jumped on.

Again ring mentality is different from survival mentality. Although I admit there are common traits. Ring mentality follows rules and there is someone there to save your a$$. The referee. Training for survival is basic instinct. Everyone is born with survival instinct. Training hones that survival instinct. There is no one to save your a$$ when you tap out in a TRUE survival situation.

Some survival instincts are stronger in others. You can't teach that. Everyone has a breaking point. Much like a conscious chose to fight in the ring and just training traditional MA. Some breaking points is seeing your buddies brain being blown out, some have higher tolerance as in: "Well he got his brain blown out, dumba$$ should never stuck his head up. I'm not gonna do that" While another person will freeze up upon seeing that. Yet both will have the same training in their military careers and experience.

You can see this in normal training. One guy will use every excuse possible, when another guy will suck it up. You can't teach that. You cant beat the other guy into a "mindset" of sucking it up. He already has a certain mindset.

Aww crap what was my point again
    Very true, like I said, we do the best with what we got, and that includes training methodologies.
    The hardest thing is to instill the proper mindest, not the easiest thing.

Not really. People who fight in a ring don't have a "ring mentality" they simply fight how they train. We don't go into the ring thinking "remember, this is the ring, I can only use x set of techniques..." Likewise, we don't go in thinking, "well, even if I am getting beaten, it won't matter, cuz the ref will save me!" it's the same instinct for survival, but a different motivator. When I am in 152, I don't have to think "this is the club now, I can fight with street techniques," - I fight how I train. people get choked, people get tied up, etc. my skillset is no different in the two environments, nor is my mindset - win. sure, the consequence is different, but that doesn't mean my game has to be.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I had the pleasure of talking to Tito when he was here at the Docks awhile back, we had met before through a mutual friend and we had a chance to chat a bit outside ( the docks has an outside lounge area), we didn't chat much, maybe 10-15 min, nice guy when he is not playing the role.
    Anyways, as such things go we got to the Ring VS real world subject because of someone else that was with us and Tito said it best:

I don't train any different, other than knives, but I KNOW the difference.

Pretty much sums it up there.