Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Buck Sing Fighting Arts of Grandmaster Tarm Sarm

The Buck Sing Fighting Arts of Grandmaster Tarm Sarm

After speaking in depth with my Sifu, ( Master Dave Lacey ) we thought it was necessary to educate people and help them understand the differences between Buck Sing and Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut……

Hung Sing and Buck Sing may be from the same lineage if we go all the way back to Cheung Hung Sing but in Buck Sing, our lineage stops at Tarm Sarm, the founder of the Buck Sing Branch. We are not exactly "One and the Same". In our branch we have our own special training drills and fighting techniques that are exclusively and uniquely Buck Sing. In the Tarm Sarm Buck Sing branch lineage, my sifu Dave Lacey is a 4th generation Buck Sing disciple.

In the CLF martial arts, it's not what you know or can do - it's HOW you do it! Recently a guy from the U.K ( Hakka Jai ) who viewed ( My Sifu’s) Master Dave Lacey's youtube, mentioned on the kung fu forum that until he saw Buck Sing he never really had any interest in learning Choy Lay Fut. He further said there is a Hung Sing CLF school in his area but he specified that he only wants to learn Buck Sing! Someone mentioned that "Buck Sing and Hung Sing are One and the Same?" Well then, if there is no difference with Master Lacey's Choy Lay Fut, then why wouldn't this guy want to learn from a Hung Sing teacher?

Anyone familiar with Choy Lay Fut kung fu is aware that there are 3 branches within the style. The Hung Sing Branch (the Cheung Hung Sing lineage) and especially the Chan family branch (the Chan Heung lineage) has many kung fu forms in their curriculum. The Buck Sing branch founded by the legendary master fighter Tarm Sarm was not interested in learning and teaching many forms for his true passion was in the art of kung fu fighting/combat. Therefore at his school the Buck Sing Gwoon, the focus was on tough realistic training for conditioning and endurance, repetitive drilling of fighting technique for speed and power and regular sparring matches in class so that his students fighting skills could be put to the test. Tarm Sarm was not one to waste time on learning and practising too many forms for he was a fighter at heart who firmly believed that the only way a true martial arts pugilist would gain fame, recognition and respect was in the martial arts dueling area against other skilled rival kung fu fighters.

THE BUCK SING FIGHTING ARTS

The experience he gained in the many sparring matches with his fellow CLF brothers over the years and the numerous challenge/dueling matches with other kung fu fighters enabled Tarm Sarm to carefully analyze the effectiveness of his CLF techniques as well as examine its flaws. He became a true innovator of the fighting style he learnt and made good use of his combat experience to further imporve his fighting skills and combat strategy. He realized that in combat he had to compete with time and space (the distance between him and his opponent and the time it'll take to move in to close the gap quickly) and he accomplished that successfully with a lightning footwork call biu ma. In order to have more extension and longer reach with his left and right straight pantherfist (charp chui) punches he made full use of his shoulders and waist and this helped generate more power. He also adopted the 180 degree side stance (peen sun) to give his opponent less target area to strike. He put his newfound strategy to use in sparring matches with his sihings (senior fellow students) and even his Hung Sing CLF teacher Lui Charn and none of them could beat him. When he later established his own school, the Buck Sing Gwoon in Guangzhou in a province called Siu Buck, his fame and great reputation attracted many followers. To honour their teacher Tarm Sarm's martial arts achievements and his reputation as a famed fighting master, his loyal students respectfully referred to their CLF as "Buck Sing" after the school's name.

In over 100 fighting matches Tarm Sarm was never defeated. With a new technique using the charp chui (pantherfist) punches in rapid succession Tarm Sarm was able to floor his opponents withing seconds of the fight.

In the 1960's movie producers in Hong Kong wanted to make a movie on the life and martial arts legacy of Tarm Sarm (died 1942) but his son Tarm Fei Pang said no. He told them that no actor was good enough to play the role of his father and that it'll only do him injustice!

Though the Buck Sing branch is part of the CLF family, the Buck Sing fighting arts is unique because of Tarm Sarm's passion in devoting his time and efforts to improve on his own martial skills and fighting techniques and putting them to the test.

Nick
    Buck Sing Gwoon Australia

Thank Nick very good explainaition

About the biu ma ...its the footwork transition from horse to Bow and arrow stance with a shuffle step ? or its a shuffling step in every stance transition ?

from what you said in your post .....Thats why if I learn CLF .....I will go for Buk sing CLF .....less form and more fighting .....

Could you give more information about the curriculum of BSCLF .....

I read 3 forms (sup ji kuen ,kau da and ping kuen ) Does some northern Sil lum form was adds ?

Steeve Sorry for the English

and he accomplished that successfully with a lightning footwork call biu ma. In order to have more extension and longer reach with his left and right straight pantherfist (charp chui) punches he made full use of his shoulders and waist and this helped generate more power.
    That's standard Choy Li Fut
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Hey Steeve,

Is there a buck sing school in your area?

nospam

Nospam

Long time ago ....yes we have a buk sing school in Ottawa ,Canada ...But the sifu go back to Hong Kong around3 years ago .....

No more Buk sing

Steeve

Nick

I'd like to add to this thread as Tam Sam is my direct lineage as well - realising lineages often have a little different story to tell:

After being accepted as a student of Lui Chan, Tam Sam turned out to be a very diligent pupil with a no nonsense attitude. He practised long and he practised hard. But when put to the test, he could not fight as well as the other students. His inability to fight effectively frustrated him on one hand but fueled his resolve on the other, as for Tam Sam, fighting was the ultimate demonstration of skill. Although he practised even harder, he seemed to get no closer to his goal. One day Tam Sam asked his teacher what he was doing wrong. His teacher pointed out that he kept his chest too flat towards his opponents and thus provided a greater target area. You see, in Hung Gar, the chest is almost flat towards the opponent whereas in (Hon Hsing) Choy Lee Fut, the chest is kept at about a 45-degree angle to the opponent, effectively limiting the target area by the same degree.

Taking this newfound strategy back to his training, Tam Sam reasoned that if turning the chest slightly away from the opponent was better, then twisting it to a 90 degree angle to the opponent would be even better! This was the beginning of Tam Sam's journey that would lead to many enhancements to his kung fu over time. For Tam Sam didn't merely limit this concept to certain aspects of the style, and this was his genious. He carefully considered the effect of his idea on all of the techniques.

It is told or suggested that he did not start down this path in an effort to change things just for the sake of change. He simply wanted to be the best. He more than likely got caught up in the excitement of the discovery process, and that he didn't want to show his teacher half thought out ideas and incomplete work so he practised and perfected his new ideas in secret so as to impress his teacher. When Tam Sam was ready, he chose to reveal his new ideas in the way that he knew best. He sparred with the senior students in the school and easily defeated them all. He was sure his teacher would be very pleased. Instead, his teacher became angry and berated Tam Sam for not using the principles and techniques of (Hon Hsing) Choy Lee Fut. It is also told Lui Chan and Tam Sam fought, with Tam Sam knocking Lui Chan down many times.

Tam Sam maintained acknowledgement of Lui Chan as his Hong Sing teacher. When asked who taught him, Tam Sam would reply: My style is Fut Gar, and I learned from the Buddhist, Lui Chan. (The original Buddhist name of Choy Lee Fut was "Fut Gar Jing Jung" translated to 'Buddhist Family Pure Seed Techniques'). Tam Sam maintained his association with Choy Lee Fut as a larger fraternity.

Tam Sam spent many years travelling China looking for kung fu masters who could add to his knowledge. As was the norm of the day, he would challenge them to non-lethal combat and then would stay to talk about kung fu. During this time, he refined his ideas and put them to the ultimate test. He fought..a lot. This refined his skill, enabling his ability to surpass all others.

Hong Sing and Bak Hsing are two very different styles that share a common heritage. In Bak Hsing the movements and techniques have been taken to the extremes. The movements are similar but the philosophy is very different.

nospam

Steeve,

You should have taken the opportunity to study under Sifu Chiu Kwok Chung back in 2000. Oh well, come to Winnipeg and learn.

nospam

Blog Entries
    no spam,

have you heard of this one......i was told this by my si-sook gung that back in the day both chan fam and hung sing attempted to unite. for whatever reasons, they didn't include tam sam. from my understanding, this upset tam sam and was part of the reason why he headed for Siu Buk.

have u heard of this?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

hskwarrior

No, I did not hear of that, although I realise Tam Sam was a shaker and a mover and disrupted the traditional ways at times. My Sigung, Leung Lap Yau (disciple of Tam Fei Pang and Lun Gee), was the same.

In Hong Kong he often bucked the system and had many challenge matches for it. After immigrating to Canada, he became the first Chinese sifu to teach kung fu to a non-Asian in Vancouver (my sifu), which caused a great deal of trouble and contention within the traditional Chinese martial arts community.

Tam Sam is recognised as the 'founder' of Bak Hsing CLF, this is for obvious and distinct reasons otherwise there would simply be 2 family associations. It is commonly accepted that within any family with divergent lineages change and differences will occur and become apparent. This is moreso true when one lineage adds to the 'standard' ie) learning different family styles, modifying or developing basic techniques and concepts and adopting or creating new philosophies.

Associations can be as important as the style itself. Claiming affiliation to a larger organization can provide greater and more visible support and can often be politically expedient.

Bak Hsing is readily distinguishable from all others. Tam Sam distinquished himself from all others.

nospam

Nospam Sifu Chiu kwok chung teached in Scabourough Ontario .....not Ottawa...

Fromwhat Sifu said ....hung sing and buk sing is the same family .......different but the same Choy lay fut .....

Steeve

yea..one love.

nospam

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Sing Gwoon View Post
    In over 100 fighting matches Tarm Sarm was never defeated. With a new technique using the charp chui (pantherfist) punches in rapid succession Tarm Sarm was able to floor his opponents withing seconds of the fight.

Ah, the Tau Lau charp chui. I was practicing that technique the other day. As a student of Buk Sing, I know the importance of that punch very well.

Thank you Nick, for your very informative history lesson. Now I wish I would have taken the time to ask my Sifu about Tarm Sarm.

Greetings,

That was a master in Hong Kong who knew this style. He sold snakes during the day time and at night the punching bags came down from above. Does anyone know the name of this person?

mickey

Take a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3vkCmRnR88

Whats the name of this form ??? Ping kuen ???/

Steeve

I suppose so. all the ping keun's I've seen all look a little different, but its pretty much the exact same salute so...

btw. what is the difference between sui ping keun en ping keun, or is it just in the name?