Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Buck Sing Fighting Arts of Grandmaster Tarm Sarm

The LKH broadsword set is call Fu Mei Dan Do - Tiger Tail Broadsword. I have seen TMWs version and it has some changes.

The spear set is moi fah sup sam cheung - plum blossom 13 lunges spear.

Chak kwun - 2 man staff and I recall seeing a student do it as a solo set in SF.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    The LKH broadsword set is call Fu Mei Dan Do - Tiger Tail Broadsword. I have seen TMWs version and it has some changes.

The spear set is moi fah sup sam cheung - plum blossom 13 lunges spear.

Chak kwun - 2 man staff and I recall seeing a student do it as a solo set in SF.
    I also note that LKH teaches the whirling staff, the same as TMW's dragon staff. Our Romanization is different, I wish there was a standard phonetic one; using combinations of letters that don't change, like in Italian. Do you think this is a big difference? I look at John Wai's forms and they appear to be the same as TMW's.

Question Off the subject to CLF Nole

CLF Nole,
    When do you teach the wooden dummy to your students?

It depends. In the US it is more or less reserved for instructors or senior students and is not officially in the curriculum. I think I learned it about 9-10 years ago.

The "whirling staff or dragon staff" is called lung hang kwun or lung hang bien gwai kwun.

The forms are generally the same but I know there are some differences in parts of Tuet Tsin Kuen and Fu Mei Dan Do.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 07-24-2007 at 08:02 AM.

TMW calls the first spear form Plum Flower Spear (Mui Fa Ying Cheung). It's a really basic set; also there's Chat Gum (fighting staff).
    I learned the 34 movement wooden dummy from Michael Chau (Buk Sing) fairly early on, that's why I asked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pau View Post
    hsk,

Thanks for sharing.

I should point out, however that the form in this video is not the Chow Gar (Jow Ga) Fu Pau Kuen form. It looks very “Jow Ga” flavoured in the techniques shown, but it is not the Chow Gar, Fu Pau Kuen as practiced in Chow Gar. Unfortunately I can’t get my hands on one to show as comparison though.

I realise of course that Master Kong On was originally a student of Chow Lung (founder of Chow Gar), and that some of his Chow Gar came into his BS CLF lineage. This leads me to ask, as I have always been curious to know, if the Chow Gar in this particular lineage of BS CLF is (a) taught as a separate art, or (b) fused in with the CLF as a blended art? It is very rare to see any of it on the net, so I have always been curious? The comments at the bottom of that video clip suggest that the Chow Gar (Jow Ga) forms taught are the more blended sort, with names such as “Jow Ga Kuen #1” “Jow Ga Kuen # 2” etc.

Perhaps Nick or anyone else from that lineage, knows the answer to that one?

Cheers
    By comparison – Fu Pao Kune as performed in the Jow Ga (Chow Gar) style (allowing for minor inter school/lineage variations).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i9w7shYNgg