Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing vs. MMA

Boxing vs. MMA

A lot of recent contraversy here...

IBF World Welterweight champion Kermit Cintron accepts Dana White's challenge.

And, at UFC 71, welterweight Din Thomas called out any boxer that wants to crossover...do I smell a match?
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

It will be great to see some elite boxers in MMA, but that guy is a boxer and a wrestler, sounds like a mixed martial artist to me?
    Bless you

in a boxing match, any decent pro boxer would KO ANY fighter in the ufc, i would wager. the game changes when grappling is involved, though. I would really love to see a boxer cross train and then enter MMA - I thought the idea of tyson doing it was awesome, but when you think about it, it likely won't happen. Why not? a couple of reasons:

boxing is more popular than mma, so boxers tend to be more well known. He is now putting his rep on the line. If he wins, who cares, because he beat a relative unknown who isn't a boxer anyway. If he loses, then he lost to a relative unknown.

money. boxing pays out millions. MMA doesn't come close. Why risk the injury for so much less money? And if the injury causes them to miss a fight, then they lose even more money. It doesn't make sense.

I am betting that this fight won't happen.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    in a boxing match, any decent pro boxer would KO ANY fighter in the ufc, i would wager. the game changes when grappling is involved, though. I would really love to see a boxer cross train and then enter MMA - I thought the idea of tyson doing it was awesome, but when you think about it, it likely won't happen. Why not? a couple of reasons:

boxing is more popular than mma, so boxers tend to be more well known. He is now putting his rep on the line. If he wins, who cares, because he beat a relative unknown who isn't a boxer anyway. If he loses, then he lost to a relative unknown.

money. boxing pays out millions. MMA doesn't come close. Why risk the injury for so much less money? And if the injury causes them to miss a fight, then they lose even more money. It doesn't make sense.

I am betting that this fight won't happen.
    WTF is this Logic crap !?!?!

silly me, I forgot where I was.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Chuck Liddell: $500,000
    Quinton Jackson: $225,000
    Karo Parisyan: $32,000
    Ivan Salaverry: $17,500
    Terry Martin: $12,000
    Kalib Starnes: $10,000
    Chris Leben: $10,000
    Houston Alexander: $8,000
    Josh Burkman: $7,000
    Keith Jardine: $7,000
    Din Thomas: $28,000
    Wilson Gouveia: $16,000
    Thiago Silva: $16,000
    Alan Belcher: $14,000
    James Irvin: $7,000
    Carmelo Marrero: $5,000
    Sean Salmon: $3,000
    Jeremy Stephens: $3,000

see, this is pennies compared to boxing.

de la hoya got 45 MILLION for his fight with mayweather.
    mayweather got a little over 20 MILLION for the fight.
    Tyson and Holyfield both got about 35 MILLION for their fight.

mma pay is just a drop in the bucket. pocket change...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Well...Lidell is no Roy Jones Jr or Hopkins, nor is he even a Klitchko...

Good paydays for MMA, crappy compared to Boxing...

boxing is more popular than mma, so boxers tend to be more well known.
    In the words of Joe Rogan, these are the last boxing superstars you will ever see. No one except boxing enthusiasts care about boxing anymore, and UFC surpasses it in pay-per-view subscriptions.

I am trying to find cintron's last purse, but haven't yet. Anyway, he is the #2 contender right now, so if mayweather is getting 20 mil for a fight, I'm guessing cintron got a pretty nice payday since he's right on mayweather's heels.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    In the words of Joe Rogan, these are the last boxing superstars you will ever see. No one except boxing enthusiasts care about boxing anymore, and UFC surpasses it in pay-per-view subscriptions.
    so explain the mayweather - de la hoya purse of 45 million... that was the biggest purse in boxing history. 2.15 million people bought that fight.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 05-31-2007 at 10:11 AM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I think that, worldwide, boxing surpasses MMA in terms of popularity and purses.

Though I think that MMA purses are much nicer, what with all the glitter and sequence.

so explain the mayweather - de la hoya purse of 45 million... that was the biggest purse in boxing history. 2.15 million people bought that fight.
    The purses are bigger because A) it's the only decent fight on the card and B) UFC doesn't pay it's fighters that well. UFC 71 earned 4.4 million off the gate alone! They can afford to pay more, but don't.

The last UFC still scored more pay-per-views than the highest-scoring boxing pay-per-view in hisory.

With the addition of UFC Europe and Pride, UFC will be launching world-wide pay-per-views soon.

Plus, HBO and SHowtime are going to start showing fights.

Boxing is dead.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-31-2007 at 10:18 AM.

The purses are bigger because A) it's the only decent fight on the card and B) UFC doesn't pay it's fighters that well. UFC 71 earned 4.4 million off the gate alone! They can afford to pay more, but don't.

The last UFC still scored more pay-per-views than the highest-scoring boxing match in hisory.
    Worldwide?

And what about Pro wrestling?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Worldwide?

And what about Pro wrestling?
    UFC, a privately held company owned by Zuffa LLC, does not release financial results and White would not discuss them. But an industry executive familiar with the results said the company's 10 pay-per-view events generated more than $200 million (€151.4 million) in customer retail revenue.

WWE said it had 16 events that generated approximately $200 million (€151.4 million) in revenue and HBO had 11 events, reporting revenue of $177 million (€134 million).....

One big difference between WWE and UFC is their audience. Thirty-nine percent of WWE's buys came from international viewers. UFC does not have a slice of the international arena but intends to grab market share from WWE when it holds its first pay-per-view fight in Manchester, England on April 21. White noted UFC has initiatives in Canada, Mexico and England, where it recently opened an office in London.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...tle.php?page=1

The last UFC still scored more pay-per-views than the highest-scoring boxing pay-per-view in hisory.

With the addition of UFC Europe and Pride, UFC will be launching world-wide pay-per-views soon.

Plus, HBO and SHowtime are going to start showing fights.

Boxing is dead.
    dude, even zab judah got 1 million for his last fight. And with the money UFC makes, they will not raise purses... that is why I doubt you will see a boxer fighting there, unless he's already retired, like mercer.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter