Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing vs. MMA

MMA Stance And Boxing Stance

I'd like to get some information on the differences between boxing stance and MMA stance. I've studied boxing (western boxing) for years and the stance is always feet turned in about 45 degrees or so, rear foot a little further out, rear heel raised, elbows in, and hands high enough so you can touch your temples with your fingers. Also, you angle your body to expose as little as possible and you try to keep your weight on the balls of your feet. The width of your feet is a bit wider than shoulder width, but only a bit. In MMA, I've noticed that the stances are much wider, the hands are held lower and further out, and most fighters seem to fight flat footed. They also seem to be more squared to their opponents. I'm assuming this helps with grappling and defending against low kicks. Anyone have any input about this? I sure would appreciate it. I'm wondering if there is a hybrid stance that can be used instead. Any advice would be helpful.

if you leave a lead leg out there you are going to get chopped down with leg kicks or end up on your back form a single leg takedown. the stance that a lot of mmaers keep is better suited for defending against a shoot as it is designed to make sprawling easier. in boxing you can't hit below the belt so you don't have to worry about defending the legs. its a concern in mma though.

i would say you are right if you call it a hybrid. look at a wrestling stance and a boxing stance and combine them. its not too far off that. plus a lot of mmaers do muay thai and i think (don't quote me on this) they keep themselves a little more square on their opponents than western boxers.

You're basically correct- you tend to square more, plus there's no jab- only a straight right or left- so you need a squared stance to do this with power on both sides. In MMA, if you're more of a grappler than a striker- you also may tend to slightly lean forward (not a pronounced lean- mostly just keeping your weight a little forward)- because you have to defend against and initiate takedowns. The flat footedness depends on the fighter and their preference for striking or grappling, but generally you want a good base because you don't want your feet kicked out from under you cuz you think mimicking Muhammed Ali is cool. You also don't see a lot of weaving in MMA cuz of the tendency to get kneed in the head if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    if you leave a lead leg out there you are going to get chopped down with leg kicks or end up on your back form a single leg takedown. the stance that a lot of mmaers keep is better suited for defending against a shoot as it is designed to make sprawling easier. in boxing you can't hit below the belt so you don't have to worry about defending the legs. its a concern in mma though.

i would say you are right if you call it a hybrid. look at a wrestling stance and a boxing stance and combine them. its not too far off that. plus a lot of mmaers do muay thai and i think (don't quote me on this) they keep themselves a little more square on their opponents than western boxers.
    Pretty much bang on.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The problem is no one knows a **** thing about boxing in MMA today unfortunately! Just keep a bit mroe of a squat in your legs to defend against the shoot and you will be fine.
    I would really like to see some decent boxing skills someday in MMA. Someday.....

Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    The problem is no one knows a **** thing about boxing in MMA today unfortunately! Just keep a bit mroe of a squat in your legs to defend against the shoot and you will be fine.
    I would really like to see some decent boxing skills someday in MMA. Someday.....

Jake
    Ok then.
    Boxing has their" stance", a few actually, MT had their, MMA has theirs, Judo has theirs, wrestling has there, maybe there is a reason for that...

Just keep a bit mroe of a squat in your legs to defend against the shoot and you will be fine.
    Squatting is not a good shoot defense. Also if they followed your advice they would be destroyed by leg kicks as well.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Jake
    Why, so we can be treated to even more snooze fests like Arlovsky vs Sylvia?

If you want boxing, watch boxing.

For my money, guys like GSP and Andersen Silva are about as technical as you can get when it comes to stand up.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-01-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Why, so we can be treated to even more snooze fests like Arlovsky vs Sylvia?

For my money, guys like GSP and Andersen Silva are about as technical as you can get when it comes to stand up.
    And both have excellent boxing skills, there is a clip on youtube of Silva and Nogueira doing some boxing actually.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And both have excellent boxing skills, there is a clip on youtube of Silva and Nogueira doing some boxing actually.
    I'm sure they can. GSP trains his skills separately (he doesn't combine wrestling and striking in the same training sessions).

But, that doesn't mean they are boxing inside the cage.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I'm sure they can. GSP trains his skills separately (he doesn't combine wrestling and striking in the same training sessions).

But, that doesn't mean they are boxing inside the cage.
    He can, but that would be "suicide".

Good point about training the skills in different sessions BTW.

Exactly.

Just like a sprinter will have a different stride than a hurdler.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

MMA is a good thing to practice and train in but (I'll probably make some enemies by saying this) I just don't find it very entertaining to watch. I know it's gaining a lot of popularity but frankly, I see a lot of trailer trash getting into it. And I've seen quite a few matches that were little more than 2 guys dry humping each other. I'm sure it was pretty intense for them, but as a spectator it sucks. I come from a boxing background so I'm obviously a little biased. But it just seems to me that the MMA crowd is mostly white trash guys in their 20s. It bothers me how so many MMA fanboys are going on about how crappy boxing is and how great MMA is. Have you guys every sparred with a really good boxer? I have and I can tell you they're as tough as anyone around. It's worth pointing out that actual MMA fighters who I've spoken to hold boxing in high regard. It's the fanboy trailer trash culture that's ruining the reputation.
    Last edited by hulkout; 02-02-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: grammar mistakes

I'm starting to get a little tired of people putting down boxing the minute someone mentions it. I asked a simple question about the stances trying to find comparisons and maybe learn a few things. I was hoping people could respond intellectually. Some of you did, but then I read someone's post saying "If you want boxing, watch boxing" and I think the same guy described it as a snooze fest. Well boxing is a sport that I have trained in for over 10 years, I'm proud of it, it has a rich history, and it IS effective on the street. I'm sick of MMA guys putting it down! If you can't post something constructive, just don't post anything!

i,of course, can't speak for anyone else but the way i took that comment was you don't watch mma to see good boxing. bc they don't box well. if you want to see good boxing than its better to watch a boxing match not an mma match. when mma guys try to box for an entire fight it is boring. why? bc you end up watching three 5 minute rounds of a poor example of the sport. your time would be better served watching ppl that have trained solely in that art perform that art. thts just how i took it. now unbunch your panties and jump back in the conversation.