Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing vs. MMA

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    If you want boxing, watch boxing.
    personally boxing is much more fun to watch.
    1) fights last longer, and are more dynamic. (often slower)
    2) no sweaty man grinding.
    3) funny looking shorts.
    4) some of the most amazing strikers (well no kicking but still)
    5) no mma on HBO
    people say boxing is dead, but its a shame... I love mma but... I love boxing more.
    I would have loved to see MT or Sanda get as big as boxing (in the states).

Quote Originally Posted by hulkout View Post
    I'm starting to get a little tired of people putting down boxing the minute someone mentions it. I asked a simple question about the stances trying to find comparisons and maybe learn a few things. I was hoping people could respond intellectually. Some of you did, but then I read someone's post saying "If you want boxing, watch boxing" and I think the same guy described it as a snooze fest. Well boxing is a sport that I have trained in for over 10 years, I'm proud of it, it has a rich history, and it IS effective on the street. I'm sick of MMA guys putting it down! If you can't post something constructive, just don't post anything!
    Look out! I think I hear a whhhhhaaaaaaambulance.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    i,of course, can't speak for anyone else but the way i took that comment was you don't watch mma to see good boxing. bc they don't box well. if you want to see good boxing than its better to watch a boxing match not an mma match. when mma guys try to box for an entire fight it is boring. why? bc you end up watching three 5 minute rounds of a poor example of the sport. your time would be better served watching ppl that have trained solely in that art perform that art. thts just how i took it. now unbunch your panties and jump back in the conversation.
    This is a very good point.
    If you wanna watch striking at its highest level or grappling for that matter, you don't watch MMA, MMA is just MMA, is a beast all its own.

Grappling "purists" that wanna see top level grappling can choose from SPort BJJ, Sub grappling and various wrestling type events.
    Judo has judo
    Kick boxing has various events to like K-1 or MT matches.
    And Boxing has boxing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I concur, I'm doing pure striking (boxing/san-da) and grappling (BJJ/wrestling) the techniques and things you can do on it's own is different then the ones you end up doing in MMA, ie. just wrestling you are taught to turn on your stomach, then when you jump into BJJ you get choked out (RNC), now there's things that I will not do in MMA like the arm bar where you hook your arm under a guys leg and use that to swing your hips, b/c if the guy happens to put his knee on that arm, then you're going to be eating punches to the faces. boxing's different from san-da as you'll get your legs chopped up and you don't gotta watch out for take-downs etc. But yeah.. MMA is a beast of its own

I'm starting to get a little tired of people putting down boxing the minute someone mentions it. I asked a simple question about the stances trying to find comparisons and maybe learn a few things. I was hoping people could respond intellectually. Some of you did, but then I read someone's post saying "If you want boxing, watch boxing" and I think the same guy described it as a snooze fest. Well boxing is a sport that I have trained in for over 10 years, I'm proud of it, it has a rich history, and it IS effective on the street. I'm sick of MMA guys putting it down! If you can't post something constructive, just don't post anything!
    Boxing sux!

For real tho....boxing and MMA are two different sports. Comparing them is like comparing NASCAR and NHRA, both have to do with fast cars, but in completly different ways.

Personally, I favor MMA because it's the whole enchilada, but I'll enjoy a good boxing match....and a good HS wrestling meet too.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

cjurakpt Guest
    I agree wholeheartedly about the idea that boxing and MMA are two distinct entities - it bugs the heck out of me when people disparage MMA hand work by calling it "bad boxing"; I mean, do they think that they are the ones with the insight into it and that the MMA guys are just a bunch of dumb gorillas who can't figure out what's what? the equivalent would be to compare an Olympic level foil fencer to someone participating in a Dog Brothers event, or something like that...

the idea, to me, is that your basic stance should be like a meeting place of everything that you do, sort of equidistant from all available options, in the sense that you may not be in the best possible stance for anyone thing, like kicking, or striking or grappling, but it's the stance from which you have the best net possibility to move to anyone of them - hence the hands being a bit lower, the stance a bit more square, etc; what you are seeing, in a sense, is a de-specialization - again, look at foil fencing - highly specific to the point of almost being a characature of sword fighting movement; an MMA is like a generalist physician - need to be ready for anything, and at a fairly high level - the bias / misconception is that of "jack of all trades etc.", but this is BS - an MMA guy is a "master" of functioning in an empty-hand fighting context where all ranges and weapons are available and need to be considered (which is what TCMA should be as well, except in practicality as opposed to in history!)

so yeah, if you want to see "boxing", go watch boxing - because even if two MMA guys spend the whole match just punching, it's not boxing: it's MMA with two guys who favor striking - but who could, at any moment, kick or grapple as well, and that's what needs to be remembered...

You guys are going to make hulkhout cry.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You guys are going to make hulkhout cry.
    Actually, even though we've gone off onto a tangent, I really don't mind these comments. They are at least insightful into people's views on mma and boxing. What I can't stand is smartass mma fanboys and internet tough guys like you. I'd love to see you say your crap to my face, you pencilneck little punk! For years I avoided these forums because my buddies told me about idiots like you. Thankfully, most people on here seem pretty decent. You clearly have some issues or maybe you just haven't been laid in a while!

Actually, even though we've gone off onto a tangent, I really don't mind these comments. They are at least insightful into people's views on mma and boxing. What I can't stand is smartass mma fanboys and internet tough guys like you. I'd love to see you say your crap to my face, you pencilneck little punk! For years I avoided these forums because my buddies told me about idiots like you. Thankfully, most people on here seem pretty decent. You clearly have some issues or maybe you just haven't been laid in a while!
    Dude, relax, he just likes to push buttons that's all, don't take it personally.
    MMA is not for everyone, I myself am not a big fan of it at all, though I admire the skill and conditioning of the fighters and believe that the ruleset isthe closed one can get to the real thing with a trained fighter that we can get, outside of the real thing.

MMA will get better in terms of skill though, the next generations will (hopefully) get better and better, I mean, look at our good buddy GSP can compare him to someone 10 years ago.
    Light years ahead.

Actually, even though we've gone off onto a tangent, I really don't mind these comments. They are at least insightful into people's views on mma and boxing. What I can't stand is smartass mma fanboys and internet tough guys like you.
    My original statement was that the Arlovsky vs Sylvia fight was a snoozefest because all they did was box. You got your panties in a wad about someone dissing boxing as a sport, and didn't even fully comprehend what I said in the first place.

I wasn't even responding to you. I was commenting on Three Harmonies post about MMA fighters getting better at boxing.

I'd love to see you say your crap to my face, you pencilneck little punk!
    Talk about internet tough guys. LOL!
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-05-2008 at 07:34 AM.

MasterKiller, Actually, I laughed at your "whaaambulance" comment. Seriously, I didn't mind that as I figured maybe I overreacted and deserved it. But then you kept pushing it with another post after that. I took it that you were trying to start something with me. I don't know how else you expect someone to interpret that. But I can tell you this. I am NOT an internet tough guy. Growing up in the neighborhood where I did and being Chinese, believe me, you learn to fight! I'd like to end this now and be done with it. But if you keep pushing, I can push back.

cjurakpt Guest
    But if you keep pushing, I can push back.
    please, no lawyers this time...

MMA is a good thing to practice and train in but (I'll probably make some enemies by saying this) I just don't find it very entertaining to watch. I know it's gaining a lot of popularity but frankly, I see a lot of trailer trash getting into it. And I've seen quite a few matches that were little more than 2 guys dry humping each other. I'm sure it was pretty intense for them, but as a spectator it sucks. I come from a boxing background so I'm obviously a little biased. But it just seems to me that the MMA crowd is mostly white trash guys in their 20s. It bothers me how so many MMA fanboys are going on about how crappy boxing is and how great MMA is. Have you guys every sparred with a really good boxer? I have and I can tell you they're as tough as anyone around. It's worth pointing out that actual MMA fighters who I've spoken to hold boxing in high regard. It's the fanboy trailer trash culture that's ruining the reputation.
    Thats why K-1 has virtually eclipsed the UFC/Pride etc as far as viewers are concerned.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!There Is only 1 STUDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by STUDD WILSON View Post
    Thats why K-1 has virtually eclipsed the UFC/Pride etc as far as viewers are concerned.
    I totally agree! I love watching K-1. In fact, all of the stand-up sports are great. The fact is that as far as spectators go, UFC/Pride has limited appeal. The techniques they use are great systems to learn and having good ground skills is very important to being a complete fighter. But to watch, it just isn't happening. And like you said, K-1 has eclipsed UFC and Pride. I think that says what the majority of people want to see.

While I am not a fan of MMA, you do realize that the UFC sets records with PPV.
    Just last year they set an attendance record in a stadium where the Stones did their tour, they got more people than the Stones did.