Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender

Right on.

I can't believe they are casting white kids in the major roles in this movie... and better(worse) yet, holding extras casting calls in Philadelphia of all places for people to populate a decidedly East Asian fantasy world. It's obviously not going to be an even primarily Asian-populated background world as the show so obviously is.

This is along the same lines of turning the 2003 RPG video game of the year Jade Empire into a movie and casting it with a white cast outside Sir Roderick(the only white dude in there, intended to be an obnoxious Anglo character that poopoos Chinese philosophy and martial arts with silly European superstitions of the time and his rifle, ultimately always killing his intellectual and martial "inferiors"). Jade Empire draws very specifically off Chinese cosmology and pantheons.

It's stupid to turn the world of Avatar into a world of primarily Europeans on the big-screen for the same reason it would've been stupid to populated it with animated Europeans... it just doesn't fit. Same reason why Jade Empire's world isn't populated by Europeans.

so i finally saw an episode of this. i think it was the 3rd episode of the first season. it was alrite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Best Television production produced for children
    Avatar: The Last Airbender -- Nickelodeon

Annies (animation awards)
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Awesome.

BTW, Jesse McCartney is now officially out of the movie and Dev Patel(Slumdog Millionare) is now cast as Zuko.

Interesting. Though, still a bit odd if you ask me. At least he's got a black belt in TKD though.

patel was great in slumdog. good casting choice i think he'll do well. its cause of your protesting zen. but seriously did i not tell you casting changes were coming.

Yeah, at least they got the right continent this time.

What I don't get is like... they've hired a guy from Twilight... he's going to keep being in taht series of movies. There's his success.

You can't tell me there are equally unknown East Asian-American actors that could use the break, and use the break in a film based on a cartoon based upon their cultural heritage. Makes no ****ed sense.

You know. Having just watched The Forbidden Kingdom again... first of all, many of the supporting actors in that movie would be perfect for Avatar characters. I can't really think of anything I'd want to put Jackie or Jet in in Avatar, thus why I say the supporting cast.

Collin Chou could easily be perfect for Firelord Ozai.

Liu Yi Fei I think would be a better fit for Katara than the girl they cast in the role.

I really think Paramount should've looked to TFK for ideas as to how to do Avatar. Like, for instance, shooting on location in China. As I understand it, right now they are looking to shoot in PA near Philadelphia since M. Night seems to be afraid to do anything away from home. Another major reason to fire his ass and get someone who can shoot a fant-Asia film and actually knows the genre.

I was hoping for more for Patel

After Slumdog, Patel can almost call his shots...except for the fact that it's hard for Indians to find roles in Hollywood.

Honestly, if Airbender wanted to be multi-racial, Shyamalan should have lifted a page from Peter Brook's The Mahabharata. That was a classic of Indian literature and Brooks went with a multicultural cast to give it this air of universality and it totally worked. It was a brilliant adaptation.

‘Slumdog’ Star Dev Patel Joins Jackson Rathbone For ‘The Last Airbender’
    Published by Elisabeth Rappe on Monday, February 2, 2009 at 10:56 am.

Dev PatelDev Patel is on his way to becoming a real millionaire. According to Variety, the “Slumdog Millionaire” star has just signed onto M. Night Shyamalan’s live-action adaptation of “The Last Airbender.” (Shyamalan has dropped “Avatar” from the title in order to avoid confusion with James Cameron’s sci-fi film of the same name.) He’ll be joined by Twilight’s Jackson Rathbone, and newcomers Noah Ringer, Nicola Peltz, and Jessica Jade Andres.

Patel is playing Zuko, a member of the Fire Nation and one of the villains of the series’ fantasy world. He’s replacing pop star Jesse McCartney, whose tour dates left him unable to commit to the film or its boot camp.

Rathbone dodged a similar scheduling conflict — he is signed to reprise his role of Jasper in “New Moon,” but was able to negotiate his appearences in both films, though his “Avatar” role is unspecified.

While Patel and Rathbone might be the biggest names of the film, it’s Ringer who will be the star. He’ll be playing the lead role of Aang, the reluctant hero and Avatar of the title. He nabbed the part after uploading an audition video of himself performing martial arts to Shyamalan’s website.

Peltz (”Deck the Halls”) will play Katara the Waterbender, who frees Aang and aids him on his quest, while Andres (”Gossip Girl”) will play Suki. Production will begin in mid-March in the exotic locale of Greenland, and will hit theaters on July 2, 2010. If all goes well, it will be the first in a planned trilogy.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wait a minute... that article says Rathbone's role is now unspecified... before he was supposed to play Katara's brother Sokka.

I wonder if we won't see this whole cast scrapped. Jessica Jade Andres has been about the only person cast thus far I can say I feel really fits the look of the show.

again this is what i was telling you. hollywood is spending its own money now, not just barrowing from the banks cause the banks arent lending a hundred million dollars anymore. so if they get a scent that this movie might be a flop they will change the whole thing.

You know, so far the only thing I've seen that connect M Night to this franchise sentimentally is his daughter wanting to dress up like Katara for Halloween. Which is great and all... but don't you think it makes more sense to get people involved that actually share a knowledge and love of the material this show pays homage to?

The Forbidden Kingdom is about the best relevant example here, because it's origins lay in a very similar situation as Avatar. You've got the creator/writer that practices kung fu and loves Asian culture and cinema. Then you've got the production team that was brought in to craft the vision. In the case of the TV show, you've got Koreans doing the actual animating and everything... but the folks involved in writing and directing and producing all have a love of anime and kung fu flicks. Then you do this movie and you put M Night in? The dude hasn't even had a non-white protagonist in any of his films.

I'm actually starting to think that M Night's just as white-washed mentallhy as the casting decisions were. Plus, I've seen nothing with him talking about how much he loves Hong Kong cinema and Fant-Asia films... which Avatar quite obviously IS in so many ways. M Night's known for not liking action, in fact. So why should this dude have gotten hired? Just because he's got a big name? He's made 6 movies, the last 3 of which have been total flops and not liked by the critics. And yet, they are not only having him direct this picture... but write it as well! I just don't see the point of this guy being involved. Does he really have that much clout in Hollywood? No one said to themselves "maybe we ought to get someone who knows the background and inspirations for this franchise to direct the movie?" We haven't even heard who the action choreographer is going to be yet, to my knowledge. Who is attached to do the kung fu? From some of the stuff above, I get the impression that Sifu Kisu isn't involved... so again, who is working on this in that department?

Fortunately they aren't even shooting yet, there's potential for the cast to be scrapped in order to do this thing up the right way. I was looking on Derek Kirk Kim's blog earlier and he's managed to dig up the casting calls for the principles... all of them say they are looking for "Caucasian or other ethnicities" while the open casting call didn't specify Caucasian at all for the extras. So it would seem that there was never really any intention of hiring Asians for those roles.

Anyway, here's Derek Kirk Kim's blog entry:

Saturday, January 24, 2009
    Diggin'
    I've been doing some digging the last few days, and it all seems to point to what we suspected. I don't think there was ever any real intention of casting Asians for the lead roles in this movie to begin with. (I know, shocking.) These were the original casting calls:

AANG: 12-15 years-old, Male, Caucasian or any other ethnicity. We are looking for a young man to play the lead role in a motion picture franchise. He must be athletic and graceful with an ability in Martial Arts (not necessarily extensive experience, but at least an aptitude for it). Kids with experience in gymnastics, dance, or sports could also be good. He is a young adventurer and should seem like the type of young man who will grow up to be heroic.

KATARA: 14-17 years-old, Female, Caucasian or any other ethnicity. She is Sokka’s younger sister. She is a headstrong and determined girl with a real sense of idealism. She believes in herself and feels that she can play on the same team as the boys. She is beautiful, intelligent, passionate, feisty, and has a real sense of adventure.

SOKKA: 16-20 years-old, Male, Caucasian or any other ethnicity. He is Katara¹s older brother. He is intelligent but awkward, and very funny (although not necessarily intentionally so). He aspires to greatness, but he tends to doubt himself. He is always one to be swayed by a pretty girl.

ZUKO: 16-20 years-old, Male, Caucasian or any other ethnicity. He is a brooding, intense young man who wrestles - not always successfully - with being good. Regaining his honor is a driving impetus for him. He is extremely handsome and is the type of dangerous boy every girl falls in love with. Athletic and/or martial arts experience is a plus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzx3S...eature=related

I wonder how many Asian Americans even showed up for the casting call. I'd be willing to bet there would have been many, many more if the casting call had been "Asian or any other ethnicity." It's just mathematically improbable: Even Paris -- seen in my previous post -- a starting actor, seems almost there, and he's just one kid on YouTube. Among the millions of other Asian Americans, they really couldn't have found 4 of them just as talented as those white actors to play these roles?

I think the following is just as telling. Here's a recent casting call for extras that's happening today (in bold is what I'm focusing on):

Casting folks are looking for extras to play soldiers, martial artists, dancers, gymnasts, athletes and families - specifically physically fit people from 18 to 65 years old. The open call will be 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Bullies restaurant at the Wachovia Spectrum. You're asked to dress casually or in the traditional costume of your family's ethnic background. Info: lastairbendercasting@gmail.com or 215-574-7878.

Hm. That's interesting. I wonder why they didn't include that bit in the casting calls for the four main characters. I wonder why they didn't include "Caucasian or any other ethnicity" for this extras call. Everybody, together now!

And for those of you who keep harping on about how the decision wasn't based on race but about making money and thus not racist, here, I'll let the always articulate Mr. Neil Babra explain it to you: "I wish that Hollywood would be a meritocracy for actors, but unfortunately, it views Asian faces as less attractive and less marketable, and that often trumps acting prowess. That's fundamentally racist, because evolutionary biology shows that their human consumers don't actually find people in other races less attractive without social dissuasion, which the studios are responsible for exacerbating."

Just because your intentions aren't racist, it doesn't mean you can use racist practices to achieve your goal. Some of you seem to be really misreading this part -- I didn't call the ones responsible for this casting racists in my essay, I called their actions racist and discriminatory.

Furthermore, even if they had no racist intentions, the end result ("Yellow Face" in this case) is racist. Among other things, it implies that white people are better at playing Asians than Asians.

Also, and most importantly, if the movie's great, it'll be a hit whether the cast is Asian or not. So why not do what's right and cast Asians in Asian roles?

More on Patel

The more I think about it, the more I like Patel in the role. He'd bring the attention of a different audience to a martial arts film, and that's always good. Of course, if the film sucks, the deal is off.
    Dev Patel's martial arts role
    1 hour ago

Dev Patel may owe his part in the forthcoming M Night Shyamalan film to his martial arts experience.

The Slumdog Millionaire star has been offered a role in the Sixth Sense director's next film, which is based on a martial arts cartoon.

Dev said: "It's based on a Nickolodean cartoon called Avatar so we're in talks about that. It's all CGI and martial arts.

"It sounds like a good project. I love martial arts like Bruce Lee and Jet Li and I'd love to try something physical."

Before finding fame in Skins and then Danny Boyle's Slumdog, Dev was awarded the bronze medal at the Taekwondo 2004 World Championship in Dublin - something which he said may have helped him land the role.

"I haven't had time to keep up with it but hopefully I can get back to my local club and get a beating," he said.
    After ‘Slumdog,’ Dev Patel Gets Role in Shyamalan Film
    By LISA TSERING
    indiawest.com February 05, 2009 03:10:00 PM

Dev Patel keeps a tuxedo at the ready these days, as the 18-year-old British actor makes an appearance on the red carpet at awards shows seemingly every other day. Patel plays Jamal Malik, an impoverished Mumbai chaiwallah-turned-crorepati in Danny Boyle’s Oscar-nominated “Slumdog Millionaire.”

But Patel is also in the news this week after the announcement Feb. 1 that he had accepted a starring role in M. Night Shyamalan’s next film, “Avatar: The Last Airbender.” The film, which will start production next month in Greenland, is a live-action version of the hit Nickelodeon cartoon series and will be produced by Paramount Pictures.

“I went for an audition for Shyamalan way back, before I did ‘Slumdog,’” Patel told India-West from Los Angeles Feb. 2. “Shyamalan saw me in ‘Slumdog,’ and he really liked me, and I just got a call from him, saying I’d be great for the character. I’d love to do it.”

Patel will play Zuko, a member of the Fire Nation (the lead characters correspond to the four elements). He will join “Avatar’s” cast for a boot camp before shooting begins, to familiarize them with the martial arts moves.

“Because I’m so new to the business, I’m so glad to learn. After doing a very performance-oriented role in ‘Slumdog,’ this one is an action flick, with lots of CGI [computer generated imagery],” said Patel. “I do want to hone in on this, and express myself physically.”

“Avatar” will draw upon Patel’s own expert martial arts skills — it isn’t widely known that the actor has a black belt in Tae Kwondo.

“I used to teach ‘Little Dragons,’ 7-14 years old,” he laughed. “I was the first junior black belt in my academy.” Patel also won a bronze medal in the 2004 Tae Kwondo world championships.

“I used to train three times a week, and each session was two-and-half hours long,” he said — but that was before the “Slumdog” shoot, followed by a hectic schedule of film festivals, promotion and awards. “Now I’m getting a bit rusty.”

Traveling to Mumbai to shoot the film with Danny Boyle was itself a life-changing experience for Patel, especially as a diaspora Indian learning about his home culture.

“It sounds really cheesy, but it was very empowering and enlightening,” he told India-West. I really felt that I found a piece of myself.

“I went to India once before, when I was around 7 years old, to a family wedding in Gujarat. I was too young to absorb anything. But it was amazing destiny that I got cast in this film.

“I went to Mumbai — which is a totally different world from Gujarat — and I went with a passionate film crew. They showed me places I’d never get to see on holiday. I feel so much fuller, and more whole, and very proud of who I am now.”

Patel explored the slums of Dharavi and Mahim to get into character. “It really helped me to break through my preconceived notions of what I thought life in the slums would be like,” he said. “We associate slums with people who pity themselves and live in abject poverty, but really, they’re very functional places, very powerful. In a slum with a population of two million people, every person there has a vote. They’re like cities within cities.”

“Slumdog” was only Patel’s second acting gig. His first acting job was playing an oversexed British teenager in the BBC series “Skins.”

Patel read Vikas Swarup’s novel “Q&A,” on which the film is based, and saw the lead character in a new way. The protagonist of the novel is an orphan named Ram Mohammad Thomas, whose unlikely name allows him to fit in wherever he needs to.

“The script and the book were very different,” said Patel. “Simon [screenwriter Simon Beaufoy] told me that Ram Mohammad Thomas had a name that made him special, in a way. But we wanted Jamal Malik to be an absolutely average Joe. We wanted him to be a nobody, a rough diamond, that if you saw him in the street you wouldn’t notice anything special about him.”

Working opposite Bollywood legend Anil Kapoor was a dream come true for Patel, who said he grew up watching Hindi films in Britain. “When I learned I’d be cast opposite him, I was starstruck,” he said. “It’s great for a new actor like me to watch and learn from him. He was great. He’s so good at playing Prem, this sort of over-the-top guy who plays the crowd — his oxygen is the crowd’s love for him.

“We had a big contrast — I wanted to make my character very understated and soft-spoken, and to overcome this beast that was Anil Kapoor.”

“Now, when I walk down the street in L.A., Indians come up to me and say, ‘We’re proud to be who we are now, because of this film.’ When I hear things like that, it’s very nice.”

Patel has gotten used to the five-star hotels, the popping flash photography and the standing ovations, but, he says, “I think I am grounded, hopefully. I contstantly feel like a very lucky, blessed kid to even be a part of this project. I worked really hard to impress Danny every day on the set. I was close to a mental breakdown, because of the pressure I was under at 17.

“I just want to hang out with my school friends, and listen to music. Just the normal teenager stuff,” he chuckled.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You know, the funny thing is... alot of fans are speculating that M Night cast Patel as Zuko so that he can cast himself as Iroh.

stunt coordinators

Hi - i'm new to the forum. I have a kung fu family. I used to practice taiji until I needed back surgery... my husband trains/teaches wing chun. My 12yr old son, my older brother and my sister and her 3 boys practice Northern Shaolin.

I've been lurking and keeping up with the Airbender news and Zenshiite asked about the stunt coords...

IMBD posted them the other day:

Stunts
    Erik Betts .... stunts
    Jon Braver .... stunts
    Ben Cooke .... fight coordinator
    Christopher Leps .... stunts
    Ming Liu .... stunt performer
    Mark Rounthwaite .... fight coordinator
    Philip J Silvera .... stunts
    Gary Ray Stearns .... stunts

I've also read the rumour about MNight giving himself the role of Iroh.
    If I was not a fan of the show, I would probably watch the movie. However that is not the case.

I wonder when this movie comes out with its own fans (ones who have never seen the show, movie only) what will they think when they watch the animated version?

Anyways - any of the names above sound familiar? Better yet, any of the cast sound familiar? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/fullcredits#cast