Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender

I've heard of colorizing old movies...

...but the colorization of Avatar is a new one on me.
    Four more land 'Airbender' roles
    M. Night Shyamalan's pic based on anime-inspired series
    By Jay A. Fernandez

March 15, 2009, 05:50 PM ET
    Aasif Mandvi, Shaun Toub, Cliff Curtis and Keong Sim have joined the cast of M. Night Shyamalan's "The Last Airbender" for Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies.

They join Noah Ringer -- who plays the title role -- Nicola Peltz, Jackson Rathbone and "Slumdog Millionaire's" Dev Patel in the movie based on the popular anime-inspired Nickelodeon TV series.

The live-action feature is being produced by Shyamalan, Sam Mercer and Frank Marshall. The shoot is scheduled to begin in this month for a release on July 2, 2010.

In the film, the four nations -- Air, Water, Earth and Fire -- are in turmoil as the Fire Nation wages war on the others. Aang (Ringer) is the lone Avatar who can manipulate all four elements and possibly restore peace to their world.

Mandvi is set to play the Fire Nation's Commander Zhao, Curtis will play the Fire Lord Ozai, and Toub is Uncle Iroh, a retired Fire Nation general. Sim will play Earthbending Father.

Shyamalan has signed to shoot the first feature in a planned trilogy, to which Paramount has budgeted $250 million. The martial arts-heavy series is set to film in Greenland and Vietnam.

Curtis ("A Thousand Words") and Toub ("Iron Man") are repped by Abrams Artists Agency, Mandvi ("The Daily Show With Jon Stewart") is repped by Endeavor and Sweet 180 Management, and Sim is repped by Judy Boals in New York.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hold on...

Aasif Mandvi is playing the badguy?

This might be such a titanic piece of crap that it's worth watching.

I'm trying to picture the sparkling eyed daily show jokester as a cruel villain...

and I'm completely failing.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

well he film has already started shooting in philly, i'm training most of my stuntmen friends in bagua zhang, for the big battlke at the end of the film, because water is bagua, not tai chi in this film. i heard in the second part the earth kingdom is suppose to be mostly people of african american decent and the fire will be people of indian or middle eastern decent. idk how this film is going to turn out, but i hope at least the action is decent.

I just know enough about Mandvi's acting style to question if he will be able to keep a totally straight face. His style tends to include a certain self-recognition of the rediculousness of the premises he participates in.

And he's is a comedian.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an excellent comedian. I'm just uncertain of his fitness for playing a martial arts villain.

It'd be about as bizarre as Hulk Hogan playing a serious dramatic part.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Definitely not seeing this one. If they are lucky I'll got see it at the 2 dollar theater after it's left all the other theaters...

Sounds to me like they are butchering the whole Avatar world here.

Well let us not forget:

At the end of the day one of America's most consistently awful directors is at the helm of this movie.

M. Night Shamylan has yet to make a movie I've liked.

Now, mind, I haven't seen them all and it is possible that I would like Unbreakable. But still...

The guy is directorial poison to everything he touches.
    Simon McNeil

^Indeed.

Actually, I hope it's an epic fail of the sort that Hulk was... and that someone with some cajones says "we screwed that movie from the beginning, let's do it right this time" and they do it all over again.

I know, I know, the chances of that happening are basically nil... but I'd still like to see it happen.

From what I saw of the show (I used to watch it on my PC, while doing paperwork), it was a "Asian/Oriental-inspired" world/universe, filled with people of "nonspecific" ethnicities (some looked caucasian, some asian).

The culture was "asian", not the people (plus they could control the elements, so it's not like they're actual humans).

So, while it may be a bit stupid to cast the live-action with caucasians from wall to wall, it is also not correct to do it the other way around.

There is a middle ground that fits the original story. Especially given the desire for inclusiveness in a kid's movie.

Seriously, though: Philadelphia? Yeah, that place just screams "Fire Kingdom". Recast the Director.
    Last edited by Wood Dragon; 05-08-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Pretty cool fight scenes though i think was a good show. It had some unique fighting styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    From what I saw of the show (I used to watch it on my PC, while doing paperwork), it was a "Asian/Oriental-inspired" world/universe, filled with people of "nonspecific" ethnicities (some looked caucasian, some asian).

The culture was "asian", not the people (plus they could control the elements, so it's not like they're actual humans).

So, while it may be a bit stupid to cast the live-action with caucasians from wall to wall, it is also not correct to do it the other way around.

There is a middle ground that fits the original story. Especially given the desire for inclusiveness in a kid's movie.

Seriously, though: Philadelphia? Yeah, that place just screams "Fire Kingdom". Recast the Director.
    That's probably the biggest fault of the entire film. Why the hell would you get a director who rarely works outside of the Philadelphia area for any of his movies?

Honestly, I couldn't care any less about this movie anymore.

while the film is being shot in philly it is not based in philly. they actually have a huge sound stage where they built the sets and let me just say it looks amazing. also they are shooting scenes in ice land, to represent the northern water tribe.

First Look at Aang and Zuko

Here's your first look at Noah Ringer as Aang and Dev Patel as Zuko.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...rst-look_N.htm

There is so much fail to the images and journalism in this article.

The Last Airbender Trailer is here

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Not bad but part of it reminds me of Warriors of Virtue...
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

I was talking about the special effects from ILM.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up