Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender

Blog Entries

Just to bring a little balance...

I talked to some folks who did see the movie, and had not seen the animated series. They thought the movie was good.

I remember hearing one comment of, "People are expecting oscar level work all the time. If you can get out of that mindset, you'll like the film just fine".

But again, this person hasn't seen the cartoon.
    I have yet to see it, and am in no hurry b/c I'm a fan of the animated series, and I know I'm going to be disappointed.

But having said that, this may get people who haven't seen the animated series to check it out.

I think there should be spinoffs. There should be a Katara spinoff called Bloodbender.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

there is a reason this film is the worst reviewed of the year. im pretty sure none of the critics seen it and they thought it sucks....hell my mom thought it was dragon ball z or something and she thought it sucked too....how can you enjoy levels of boringness, that was m.nights the last airbender...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Kisu did the MA choreography for the series, which AFAIK was one of the reasons it was so popular, and Paramount decides to bag that and go another direction? lol, typical - just like my CLF / Lama hing dai / friend who worked for DIsney back in the '90s as an animator - he was working on Hercules at the same time they were putting together Mulan, and he got a wif of the MA they were going to use: all 'crotty'! so he went in and showed them what TCMA looked like, in fact they sketched him doing jian / gim and even used it in the sequence when Mulan's dad is practicing at the beginning, and then when she fights the Ghengis Khan type guy at the end; but instead of using him for the rest of the fight scenes they go and get BH Barry, lol, and of course the rest of the movie MA stunk! typical Hollywood BS when it comes to accurate portrayal of non-western idioms...
    uhh....Mimi Chan was the model and martial arts reference for Mulan.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    I remember hearing one comment of, "People are expecting oscar level work all the time. If you can get out of that mindset, you'll like the film just fine".
    When you pay $30+ to take your family to something that last 1.5 hours, you shouldn't have to resign yourself to lowered expectations.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

both my son and I watched the film on the screen. we paid 10 + 9 $ for the tickets.

we love the story line even thou there are some changes from the animation series.

we do not like the acting part. the actors and actresses lack expression or passion

the interaction among the characters is zill or not good.

but yin yang fishes: moon spirits and sun spirits

meditation to the spiritual world, consultation with the dragon for advice

---

commander zhao/chao/jaw wanted more power

prince zuko rescued avatar

uncle recognised the need of the balance in the world

and the appearance of princess azula

the scroll of water bending

--

maybe we love the storyline too much or too familiar with the story

--

acting may be suck

but the story is not.

me think.

--

in anybody else's hands, the movie would have been good. I blame M Night for f'n it up. They could've had the head writer from the series do the movie adaptation, and that would've made it a whole lot better. They could've spent more time casting- that would've made it better. They could've kept Kisu on- that would've made it a whole lot better... M Night's ego destroyed the film.

It was edited like an hour long trailer for a better movie.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Talking

Ha ha. That sucks guys. Luckly for me, my buddy works at a theatre so I saw it for free today.

Yeah, it was bad. Horrible editing. I understand that it is difficult to put 20 episodes in a one and a half hour film but major things were overlooked. No character development. Names were changed for no reason. Sokka not funny. Everybody's white. I could go on but it's really beating a dead horse.

SanHeChuan is right on. I too thought the same thing 5 minutes into it. However, it was worth what i paid to see it. ;D

Avatar: The Last Airbender has officially been the cause of one of my funniest kungfu emails to date.

I randomly get some email from a local movie theater. They want a short notice (4 days) demo of some bagua to coincide with the premier of Airbender.

I'm sorta like "well I can see how that would make sense... you wanting that.. but.. meh...".

Then the email goes on to explain how this would be chance for some really good exposure for our school.. because this OTHER movie is premiering the same weekend.

Care to guess what that movie is?

I became a little queasy... and then I hit DELETE.
    "The first stage is to get the Gang( hard, solid power). every movement should be done with full power and in hard way, also need to get the twisting and wrapping power, whole body's tendon and bones need to be stretched to get the Gang( hard) power. "
    -Bi Tianzou -

My buddy got kicked out of the theater laughing so hard.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

There is one thing though, the McDonalds toys are Avatar toys and they coem with cards and the last two my girls got showed Suki and the Kyoshi warriors and A Katara card from an Earth Book episode.
    What's up with that ???
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

according to M.night in an interview with mtv, he said he cut the kyoshi warriors from the film because it ate into the story....bleh...

my friends who worked on this film are kinda mad at me for saying the action wasnt good.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    according to M.night in an interview with mtv, he said he cut the kyoshi warriors from the film because it ate into the story....bleh...

my friends who worked on this film are kinda mad at me for saying the action wasnt good.
    God, what an ******* !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

like the computer graphic

like the storyline

ang pronouced eng is better, thou

prince zuko good uncle good --

commander zhao bad guy drowned by water from 4 water benders, good

---

like the story too much, like the movie, too.

waiting for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    like the computer graphic

like the storyline

ang pronouced eng is better, thou

prince zuko good uncle good --

commander zhao bad guy drowned by water from 4 water benders, good

---

like the story too much, like the movie, too.

waiting for the next one.

You should watch the cartoon series.